Setting up a dairy and wheat free diet for 3000+ cal

Options
Hey,
I am 21 years old, currently 71 kg and 193cm. I've been tested for a lot of things, mostly negative but it seems I got IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) and they very much advise to switch to low FODMAP diet which is extremely strict and upon that I have whey or casein allergy. You can see that's not a very easy situation.

To be honest I haven't gained any weight the last 3-4 years although I work out I put some muscle on my mass stays exactly the same.

I need some help setting up a diet which shoots over the 3000 calories line so maybe something stays on me but I'm quite pessimistic and truly desperate.

Any piece of advice is welcome, thank you

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have lots of options. Without wheat you lose out on bread/ pasta/ etc, but aside from wheat, all other grains are fair game, oats/ rice/ quinoa/ etc. Likewise all starchy vegetables are open to you, as well as beans/ pulses/ etc. I would regard these all as easy fillers for bulk up the calories in your diet, so don't see how you should have too much trouble hitting 3,000 calories a day, and if you are, just throw some oats, fruit, nuts and seeds in a blender, and you have a nice high calorie shake full of great nutrition. Also if you're having real trouble keeping on weight, just can always make up the balance with junk food, as long as it doesn't affect your IBS/ food allergies :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I also have two recipes that are dairy and wheat free and that I really shouldn't eat, since I don't even need half of 3000 calories a day, but that you might want to try. Even if they don't sound good to you, they ought to clue you in that it isn't hard to get a lot of calories without dairy or wheat! Unfortunately for me. :sad: By the way, if oats bother you, sub it out for a cup of sweet potato, take out 2 bananas, and throw in some cashews or sunflower seeds for more texture. Yummy and lots of vitamin A in the sweet potato (this is what I tell myself while I chow down).

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cake

2 cup peanuts
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    1 cup Irish steel cut oats
    6 extra large bananas
    salt
    1 cup Raisins
    1/2 cup Peanuts
    1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Blend peanuts and coconut oil, add bananas, blend for a few seconds, add oats, blend for a few more seconds. Mix raisins cinnamon and peanuts into batter.

Pour into pan.

Cook on about 350 for 20 minutes. (Honestly I didn't time this well and played with the temperature settings because I made it in a toaster oven, so you might want to keep an eye on it.)

Optional fruit topping:

Chop strawberries and blueberries in the blender (don't blend thoroughly, just a few seconds should do). Top cake with mixture. Return to oven for 10 or so more minutes.

Serves: As many as you can tempt into eating it. Unless you're trying to gain weight, you should share this out with friends and family and possibly random strangers. They'll love you for it.

Calories: Ridiculous!

Weight Gainer Trailmix

Ingredients:

1 cup seedless raisins 494
    1 cup raw peanuts 827
    1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds 210
    1/4 cup sweet cherries 22
    1 tsp salt
    1.5 tablespoons coconut oil 176

Total calories: Ridiculous (1729 calories)

Pit cherries and set aside in a bowl with the raisins. Then spread peanuts and sunflower seeds on tinfoil covered tray and dollop coconut oil in several places on top. Sprinkle with salt. Toast/bake/broil until seeds and nuts are brown. Takes 10-15 minutes, maybe less depending on device used.

Remove and dump the entire concoction on top of the raisins and cherries. Mix it up with a spoon, let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy.
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    The most simple way I've found to put on weight for me is 4 cups of rice before bed every night. I gained 15 lbs in a few weeks. Easiest and fastest method I've found. Since it's hard to cram all that rice in at once I would make it wet by adding beans or ketchup or BBQ sauce all over it to help get it down faster. So pick a carb you like and eat a ton of it before you go to sleep and make sure you cover it in some sauce to swallow it faster. Examples: Rice/beans, Mashed potatoes/gravy, gluten-free pasta/spaghetti sauce, etc.

Make a huge plate that'll be hard to eat and then make a second one, and get at it!

Before whey protein came along, eggs were the top dogs for protein. Ignore the cholesterol scare. I eat 6-12 eggs a day here and there with all yolks in them. I don't believe in throwing away food. If you go the egg white route, buy the egg whites in a carton so you're not throwing away perfectly good food. Good Luck!

In the end the real key is to make a plan and take action! Don't over think it. Just do it!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Avocados, nut butters, olive oil, oats, wild rice, and red meat are all really good choices to boost your calorie intake. I'm exponentially smaller than you, and I fight to NOT consume 3000+cals a day! It'd be so easy...Ha!
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here are some options that are very high calorie but free of gluten and dairy:

Pancakes (easy to make dairy free by subbing almond or soy milk for cow milk) with lots of vegan butter and pure maple syrup
    -peanut and almond butter
    -trail mix (dried fruit, nuts, chocolate)
    - chocolate (dark, milk, or semisweet is all fine considering your trying to gain, but do try to stay away from candy bars with all their added unhealthy crap) you can find a lot of chocolates that are made without milk- in a store like whole foods
    -big bowls of granola in soy or almond milk (homemade if you can't find a gluten free one)
    -coconut milk ice cream
    -Try blending full-fat canned coconut milk into smoothies--it's very high cal but still healthy
    -you can make a "whipped cream" with canned coconut milk (http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/30/coconut-whipped-cream-a-step-by-step-photo-tutorial/)
    -avocados
    -olive oil and salad dressings
    -coconut oil
    -sub chicken thighs for chicken breast
    -sub 80% ground beef for lean ground beef or ground chicken
    -FATTY FISH is your friend! SO good for you but very high cal: salmon, mackerel, sardines
    -dates filled with peanut butter...sooooo good
    -You can make almost any tasty dessert out there like chocolate chip walnut cookies, blueberry muffins, homemade scones with jam..Just switch out the butter for vegan butter/margarine (like Earth Balance), milk for almond/soy milk, then use an all-purpose gluten free flour such as Pamela's or bob's red mill
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can still have eggs, meats, fish, quinoa, rice, oats (make sure they're certified gluten free though, cross contamination happens easily with them) potatoes, veggies, fruits.....lots of stuff.

Adding oil to your food while cooking will bump up your cals for the day. Look for higher calories cuts of meat instead of lean ones (chicken thighs instead of breast etc) Add nuts, seeds, hemp to your smoothies.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Have you actually been diagnosed with IBS or do you just think you have it?
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    I'd add oatmeal with nuts to your diet every day, and lots of protein.

Common Low FODMAP Foods

Fruits
    •Banana
    •Blueberry
    •Cantaloupe
    •Grapes
    •Honeydew melon
    •Kiwi
    •Lemon
    •Lime
    •Mandarin oranges
    •Olives