Never ran a race before.. Start with a 10k?

Options
I've never run an official/public race before. I've just started running normally, and I'm thinking of doing a 10k in October (namely the Runner's World 10k) and I'm wondering if this seems realistic.

I've been running for the past few weeks with no real reason other than to get in shape. I started a 10k running program just to do it, but I'm thinking I might as well run an actual 10k since I'm going that far. Sound reasonable?

Small background:
The farthest I've run was this past Thursday morning, 5 miles nonstop. Slow, but nonstop.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 5 then a 10k in October is totally reasonable and doable. A 10k was the very first race I ever did. Have fun!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would try a smaller scale race for your first, just to get the feel of everything.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you run 5 miles (that's about 8 kilometers) You can easily run a 10K
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My first race was a 7 miler, but I'd already been running for a few years before deciding to do a race. But if can already do 5 miles, a 10k won't be a problem.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My first race was a 10K. But by that time I was running consistently for 6 months and was able to run 10 miles non-stop.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You will be totally fine by October!

Have fun! :)
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 5 miles, you can definitely finish a 10k in October.

The main reason to register for an event is to motivate your training. Just having this 10k on your calendar will do wonders for you. Great move.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You'll do fine. Enjoy the race. Fall is a great time to run!!!
  • Telloth
    Telloth Posts: 4
    Options
    A 10km was my first race, and it's a perfect starting point. If you train between now and October you'll do great, you'll probably be very surprised with yourself, cause the adrenaline of race day kicks in and gives you extra energy and speed. Just start training on longer runs and see where that takes you!
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh pfft, go for it! A 10K is only a little over 6 miles and if you're already doing 5, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I realize everyone else has already pretty much said the same thing, but hey, another encouraging voice always helps, right?
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    my first two races were a 10k... I am planning to do a 5k on the 1st of September just for the fun of it.. I say go for it :smile:
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    I'm with all the people saying to do it! My first race was a 10k, prior to that I had only ever run 4.5 miles in one shot. My second race was a Half Marathon with the longest distance I had ever run being my 10k. If you are a decent runner, it shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, if it takes you 5 hours to run that 5 miles, I'd probably suggest that you not run the 10k, but it doesn't seem to me that's the case.

Good Luck, OP! & have fun!! :drinker:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would try a smaller scale race for your first, just to get the feel of everything.

Ditto this. Sign up for a small local 5k in September, then run your 10k in October; you'll have a much better sense of what to expect for the main event.
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in both camps - YES, you can totally do a 10k, but you might WANT to do a small, local 5k first, just to get a sense of race day.

Personal preference.
  • nimler
    nimler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done the RW 10K - it's a beautiful course, filled with very steep hills. If you plan to do this one, I'd get some time in on hilly courses (both long, gradual hills and steep hills)

Personally, I'd start with a more level course - I susbcribe to the Pretzel City Sports emails for regional races (I'm in the Lehigh Valley) and have jumped in a few that i read about. But, the RW race series is FUN and the elite athletes are accessible. Either way, Good luck and have a great time!