PSA - Fiber One Bars

Options
So I'm constantly in search of healthier snacks that fill me up, give me energy, are convenient, and of course also taste good. I recently discovered fiber one bars. They are filled with healthy fiber, you can take them anywhere, calories aren't too bad, and they taste great. So I started making them a regular part of my daily routine.

Then I started noticing something... something BAD. My stomach starting gurgling like mad, and I started developing gas and bloating like you wouldn't believe. I tried changing my diet as I've had some issues with Milk products in the past. So I cut those out. I tried cutting out carbonation, I tried everything.

So I finally narrowed it down to a few potential items and yesterday I did a quick google search on fiber one bars to see if anyone on the internet had anything to say about them. And guess what I found, hundreds of sites saying that fiber one bars had been giving people explosive farts! It's pretty much like the Mentos in the pop bottle phenomenon but in your stomach. There is really no scientific explanation given and people have actually written General Mills and received a response thanking them for their feedback, but with no real acknowledgment of the phenomenon.

Anyway, I just thought this was important to share. The bars are so delicious, but I suggest avoiding them unless you want to scare away everyone within earshot .. or nose shot for that matter!

Here is a link to a funny article about this: http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/66-Fiber-One-Bars-make-me-Fart.html

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Well fiber period causes bloating and gas. So this is not surprising! LOL!
  • mjb123
    mjb123 Posts: 19
    Options
    The same thing happened to me! Stay away from those!
  • ersulas
    ersulas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hahaha Thanks for sharing!
  • eyeballer
    Options
    A few of us in my office refer to them as "fart bars." So we know what you are talking about!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are not that healthy for you.

Filled with artificial sweeteners and chemicals.

Why not just eat more vegetables to get the fiber you need? Grain based fiber is bad for your insides. It is like taking steel wool to your stomach, intestines and colon. Grains can actually puncture holes into your insides - where is the health in that?
  • Srbaby32
    Srbaby32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You know I had noticed that same thing! I've also noticed it when I was doing slim fast. I don't know if it's what they put into those bars that make them that way, no clue. It's especially NOT a good thing if you're going to the gym and trying to hold it in.. just saying. lol
  • jodes4401
    jodes4401 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Totally noticed that too...which is a huge bummer...cuz they taste great!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    That's a bizarre combination of horrible and hilarious! Oh well. I've read that some people have problems with fiber, or with certain types of fiber. I've eaten Fiber One products daily or multiple times daily for 2-3 years and never had any such issues.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a free sample of those and thought "wow, these are SO good." Then, like you, my stomach was a mess. NEVER EVER AGAIN!
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Had the same experience. Congrats on your progress toward your goal.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing! OMG

I also eat a lot of fiber on a daily basis (including double fiber bread, veggies, etc).. but when I ate the regular oats and chocolate fiber one bars, my tummy went crazy. Thought it was just me, great to see it's something with the bars. LOL
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That's a bizarre combination of horrible and hilarious! Oh well. I've read that some people have problems with fiber, or with certain types of fiber. I've eaten Fiber One products daily or multiple times daily for 2-3 years and never had any such issues.

I have never had any problems with them either. I do put them in my diet and think I am doing very well with my weight loss.
  • ashie075
    ashie075 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to think that the stomach issues are not so much from the fibre but from all the artificial sweeteners. Those tend to give people more gas/stomach problems as our bodies have a terrible time breaking those sweeteners down or so says my nutrition prof. Just my two cents :)
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars do taste great.. but yes some have that problem.. not all of us.. for me.. its a good snack.. but it is more than a 100 cal snack.. so I have limited my intake on those for that reason, I am a chocolate lover, which I am avoiding now that I am on a new healthier lifestyle, I did find Jello chocolate mousse temptations that are only 60 cals and taste great!! Also Jello no sugar added cups with only 5 cals each.. plus there are lots of quaker 100 calorie snack bars and fruit cups with low calories also. All great snacks that can be good when your on the go!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a problem with them. I rotate between granola bars and this is one I like...glad it doesn't have the same effect lol-
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lol, not to laugh at you, but this is funny.

I actually have eaten these bars for quite some time, not often, but anytime I'm in a rush and know I'll be needing something to tide me over until I can eat something. Luckily, I have NEVER had that experience from them....thankfully!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, they've got artificial sweeteners and blah blah blah. There are times I don't have a chance (like being surrounded by people or running late) to eat an apple, peel an orange, munch on carrots, etc. So I found these to suit the needs I intended it for. MUCH better than a MILLION other options that are this quick and simple.

Bummer others have had the uncomfortable experience since they are so yummy! Kudos to you for providing the information for others to read! Great use of the message boards! :happy:
  • cjs22
    cjs22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ya that is why I quit eating those. Fiber in other foods don't make me feel that horrible!
    One time, my brother in law, thinking they were plain ol granola bars, ate an entire box! Needless to say, he was in pain for DAYS. Or should I say my sister was???? hahaha
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That's why I try to avoid as much processed foods as possible!
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My husband cannot eat ANYTHING from Fiber One! His body can't tolerate the extra fiber. I on the other hand could eat an entire box of the bars with no problem.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lol lol...yeah my Fiber One Farts aren't only loud, but they smell!!!