exercising through injury

Options
I've damaged my right ACL and am in a full leg brace for 6-8 weeks. I've also torn the rotator cuff on my right shoulder. I am a very active person and am essentially sidelined for these next 2 months. I am a hockey player and played 2-3 times a week recreationally in local woman's hockey group. What exercises can I do that will accommodate my stupid restrictions? I cannot bend my knee much and I cannot support my weight with my right shoulder (so modified push up styles would be required) I need to continue doing something or I will go crazy. Cardio suggestions appreciated and weight lifting suggestions too! I can't sit around.

Thanks, Brano

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Can't think of any cardio, but for weights:

- stiff-leg deadlift, possibly with a dumbbell or weighted backpack.

- single leg squat on left left

- single leg squat jumps

- single arm dumbbell row w/ left arm?

- jack-knife situps

- medicine ball wall throws?

Probably should get approval for these from your doctor.

Do you have access to a gym?
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a 'gym' at my office - treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, bike and free weights. I will definitely still do weight but at a much lighter weight and will eliminate those that are putting stress on the shoulder. I was just throwing it out there if there was some cool activity that I did not think of! Swimming of course is a choice, but I don't have access to a pool but if this is a longer recovery would join somewhere to do that.

I'm just finally on the right track and want to keep up the weight loss but more importantly not feel like I'm going to die when I start skating again!

thanks!
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You have both an upper and lower body injury,... give your body a break and let it heal/rest without the risk of further injury, or making it worse. But talk to a doctor or physical therapist for what they would recommend.