I was such a running noob

Options
LOL! I recall when I started MFP, I was so naive. I looked back at one of my early posts, and it made me chuckle:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1176684-i-want-to-try-a-short-marathon

Well, fast forward to today. I've met some wonderful people that have taught me a lot and I'm running my first half marathon in 2 weeks. So far, I've successfully run this distance safely, and I also plan on running a Full next year using Hanson's Marathon Method. It's amazing how much technique and strategy goes into an action as simple as running, and I still have much more to learn.

So this is a shout out to all the running noobs! I was one :wink: :drinker:

Replies

• iWorkout4Vino
    iWorkout4Vino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You've come such a long way in a short time, makes me realise that it is possible! I did my first wee run on Saturday, first since I left school 20 years ago; a two mile jog/walk and I've just about recovered! I can't imagine being able to run a HM but everyone's got to start somewhere!
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You've come such a long way in a short time, makes me realise that it is possible! I did my first wee run on Saturday, first since I left school 20 years ago; a two mile jog/walk and I've just about recovered! I can't imagine being able to run a HM but everyone's got to start somewhere!

Thanks, Norma! :flowerforyou: When I started, it was initially for a 5K. I didn't think I would grow to enjoy it. Races keep it fresh and I have them planned throughout next year. :laugh:
  • iWorkout4Vino
    iWorkout4Vino Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Thanks, Norma! :flowerforyou: When I started, it was initially for a 5K. I didn't think I would grow to enjoy it. Races keep it fresh and I have them planned throughout next year. :laugh:

There's a freedom associated with running that I never appreciated until the other day. I can certainly see why it's addictive!
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Boy you got hammered on the short marathon thing! LOL!!!! Yes you have come a long way my friend. I think you're ready for a full marathon.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I can't help but take some of the credit for your running achievements :blushing: since it was our challenge to each other that got you to a personal best at the time :bigsmile:

All kidding aside, that is so awesome and with any luck I can be saying the same thing. Well not a marathon but at least a 5k :happy:
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love that original post! Good luck :)
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Boy you got hammered on the short marathon thing! LOL!!!! Yes you have come a long way my friend. I think you're ready for a full marathon.

LOL! Right!?!? However, I do appreciate good sarcasm, and I found some of them entertaining. Ryan, I like being over-prepared. The first time I ran the HM distance, I crippled myself days after. Lessoned learn and NOT happening again!

I can't help but take some of the credit for your running achievements :blushing: since it was our challenge to each other that got you to a personal best at the time :bigsmile:

All kidding aside, that is so awesome and with any luck I can be saying the same thing. Well not a marathon but at least a 5k :happy:

Jamie, you rock like granite! That challenge was torture! But I'm not sure if I would have pushed myself without your help. So yes, take credit and receive thy bounty :flowerforyou:
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Haha that's great! I remember not being able to run down the block. Now I'm doing 3 miles consistently. I hope to be at half marathon shape by march :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This post made me reflect on my own progress. Today in my running class I heard people ask us to join them for a run on wednesday. They said it was at a "slow" pace. When I asked what that meant, it was a good 3 min/mile faster than I run. Was feeling pretty crappy about myself until I remembered, thanks to this thread, where I myself was 2 years ago. Basically, nowhere. I had never really run more than 30 minutes. I've since run a half marathon, a 20 mile race, and will be running a marathon in a bit over a month. I might be slow, but apparently I am also patient and willing to keep plowing forward.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    well done you .. i recent;y started the jogging/walking route as i can't RUN to save my life.. lol but after 2months i am up to almost ten miles at a time and loving it .. i don't think i could do a marathon or even half of one though lol
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    well done you .. i recent;y started the jogging/walking route as i can't RUN to save my life.. lol but after 2months i am up to almost ten miles at a time and loving it .. i don't think i could do a marathon or even half of one though lol

If you can do 10 miles you most certainly can do a half marathon. Some of the half marathon training plans don't even have you run more than 10 before the half marathon race.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options

If you can do 10 miles you most certainly can do a half marathon. Some of the half marathon training plans don't even have you run more than 10 before the half marathon race.

Thanks .. id have problem doing it outside unless it was in the dark… too much daylight gives me migraines .. but thanks for saying i could do it :) .. i never thought i would EVER be able to do 5miles let alone 9-10 in a single day session
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for a 5k walk in oct 5th and I am scared! I have never done it before.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great job... keep it up, great progress and knowing your abilities. Measuring your own progress from where you were is the best anyone can do. Compare where you were and where you are now. Last year, I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile.

I just finished my first half yesterday, but the highlight of the run was conversing with another runner from England, whose accent was a delight to listen to. I guess 30K next month and then a full before the end of the year.