want to start lifting, why does it seem so complicated?

Options
Hi, I've never posted here before. I'm really struggling with this problem, so I'm turning here for help!
I truly understand the benefits of heavy lifting for women, and want to get started. The problem is that is seems complicated to find the right program for me. I'm the type of person that does not want to waste time doing the wrong things. So I try to research to the point that I get frustrated and do nothing!
I have purchased and read "the new rules of lifting: supercharged", "The workout" and "strong curves". I own a TRX suspension, Kettlebells ranging from 15-25#, powerblocks (up to 45# each), a small bench and a pull up bar.
Here is my biggest problem. Some of my friends and research I do online (like bodybuilding.com, for example) all pretty much say that to do it right and most efficiently, you need to have a barbell (squats, deadlifts...etc). So much of what I'm reading says that the barbell exercises are the bottom line of what you need to do to lift heavy and build muscle most efficiently. Most of the books ive bought also include a lot of barbell work.
Is this true? I HATE gyms and refuse to join. I want to be able to "lift heavy" at home, but am hesistant to start with the equipment I have if I'm wasting my time and need to just suck it up and buy more equipment.

I would love for someone to tell me I'm wrong and can do all the lifting exercises I will ever need with what I already have at home...I am a small woman, 5'1" but I know women who are squatting and deadlifting over 150#, or over their bodyweight. And even though I'm not doing any lifting at the moment, I'm not a weakling, I often find that I am stronger than other woman my age who also don't lift. So does that mean it is that necessary to really build muscle and get in awesome shape I need to lift massive weights for my size?
Thanks for the help.

Replies

• dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can do a pretty killer exercise with some light dumbbells and some bands all available at Target for not a lot of money.

I usually do something called the Spartacus Workout when I travel. It is a Men's Health routine, but a lot of my lady friends do the routine. It is harder than anything a trainer has ever put me through. I use a 15 lb dumbbell, and I am a former ex football player and pretty strong. You could probably start with a 5 lb dumbbell or even just your body weight depending on your strength and work your way up.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/printer.php

The concept is very simple. 10 exercises 1 min each, 15 sec rest. 3 sets total. Absolutely killer. You can modify and there are version 2 and 3 for variety.

In addition there is a free iPhone App called gain fitness, that gives you a workout program based on the equipment that you have in your house. Really good app and it is free.

Given how much I travel I either do the gain fitness or spartacus and it is all the weights training I ever do and it works great for me.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really have to be complicated - you just have to know what your goals are. The TRX and pull up bar indicate you are interesting in becoming good at bodyweight-resistance exercises - which is a different measure of strength than barbell lifts, but can be impressive in their own right. But if you want to squat and deadlift heavy, then of course you'll need the equipment to get it done....depends on what you want....and gyms aren't so bad.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

Someone gave me this link and it was sooooo helpful! Maybe it can work for you as well :) When I first looking into lifting I too found it extremely complicated. I think the more research you do, the more you understand.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well the program isnt going to matter that much since they are all in some way shape or form based on the same movements of squatting, deadlifting, bench pressing, overhead pressing, etc

you dont need a barbell although that does make it a bit more efficient in terms of adding weight .

if i'm not mistaken strong curves as options for at home workouts. and i know that new rules of lifting for women has an online forum on the website dedicated to people using home gyms. I can only assume that supercharged has this as well
  • bcmom_1980
    Options
    From my understanding, it's just that barbells make it easier to go up in weight. You can only progress so far with dumbbells before you reach your limit for how much you can comfortably hold in your hands, but it's not enough weight to challenge your squats or dead lifts.

I've been doing the dumbbell only program from muscle & strength, it was recommended by someone on this site. It's a full body routine 3X/week.

You could also just pick any of the programs that interest you, and just modify the lift for use with dumbbells. Dumbbell squats or goblet squats instead of barbell squats. I'm pretty sure in NROLFW and Strong Curves, the authors show dumbbell variations or substitutions you can do. I google substitutions all the time. I don't have a pull-up bar, so I googled substitutions, and have been doing inverted rows with the kitchen table. This works for me at the moment, in the future as I progress I can always expand my home gym, or sign up for a gym membership.

Right now I'm enjoying my workouts so that's most important to me. You can have the most well designed lifting program in the world but if you don't enjoy it and dread working out, you won't last long at it. :)
  • ccrsylte
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the good replies! I think I'll try the Spartacus workout and I also liked the nerdfitness article. I think I just need to get started somewhere and stop worrying about the barbell stuff until I think I peaked with the home equip....if that ever happens I should just be grateful I got there!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Until you get very strong (by average person standards) all you need is a basic set of barbells and a basic program like Strong Lifts 5x5.

That's it.

Do that consistently for 18 months, then we can talk about more complicated gear/routines.