1200 calories during menopause

Options
I'll soon be 52. After years of WW, I got tired of eating all the time, so I switched to Atkins for about a year and gained 8 pounds. So I'm trying low cal. So far so good. I play around with numbers - 1180, 1235, 1280, depending on my mood. Sometimes I feel that if the number is too high, I'll overeat.

I think the exact same thing when I feel the number is too low.

I wish I could eat more, but I can't. And to think that it's only going to get worse with age...

Replies

• sunflowerjude64
    Options
    I too am full on menopause and I have 70 to lose, not sure of the calorie numbers, 1200 seems so low and my days off from work are my weakness.. I will be 50 in 2 weeks :)
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was a bit concerned with my low calorie intake, which is generally under 1200 calories, so I printed out my food log and showed it to my doctor. (I just turned 64 last month and I am very active.)

He said, and I quote, "Your metabolism changes as you age, as do your caloric needs, and all things considered, you eat very well. You make good choices and I see nothing wrong with your diet. Your lab results are excellent, you take your vitamins, you're active, you're at a proper weight, you feel good and you look good."

That's good enough for me! I don't deprive myself and I don't listen to the calorie Nazis! :bigsmile:
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I am 62, way past menopause and my metabolism has retired. I would starve on 1200. I am fairly active and eat 1500-1600 calories a day, more if I work out hard. I have maintained my weight for over two years. Everyone is comfortable with different amounts, but you don't have to deny yourself, life is too short.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I'm 47 and maintain at 1800 cals per day and live a moderately actively lifestyle. I agree that women in menopause don't require huge amounts of food, but if you can go higher I'd try it.