How strong can a short (5'3") guy get?

Options
2»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

That is kind of why I asked if I needed to bother loosing body fat as I am not at a "unhealthy" level of body fat. Realizing that I would loose "some" body fat while building muscle.

Sorry if I'm nit being clear. I'm still new to fitness as a whole.

Youre being clear enough. What you want to do is pretty much what half the people who start lifting want to do (the other half are the folks who are skinny and want to add size and strength).

Pretty standard stuff.
    So assuming I will lose body fat while building muscle, should I bother trying to lose the 17 or so lbs first.

Or should I start lifting to build now? If so should I keep eating at a deficit or should i eat at maintenance?

Start lifting now. 17lb isn't that much to lose, so have only a small deficit to ensure you don't lose any lean mass. Cut first, then do a bulk - keep lifting through cuts and bulks.

Starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 are my recommendations for lifting programmes - or anything that follows a similar format.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is a Crossfit competitor named Chris Spealler. He is 5'5" in height and weights about 150 pounds.
    He deadlifts 425 pounds and back squats 380 pounds.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Check out Danny Padilla and Franco Columbo. Obviously won't have the same total mass or strength as much larger guys, but can look very muscular and be very strong.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to put the work into your training and nutrition (as any other healthy male would need) then absolutely. One of the last gyms I lifted at there was a guy about your height that was repping squats, to depth, with 405 on the bar. That was over 2x his bodyweight.
  • SpencerGJackson
    SpencerGJackson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you everyone for all the positive encouragement.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly being short is an advantage in some ways. Short arms means you have a mechanical advantage for lifts like bench press, not to mention it's way easier to look ripped as a short guy. If you ever see a very tall guy that looks jacked, give the guy props. But in any event, the vast majority of people will never approach their genetic potential, so stop worrying about your potential and go lift something.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Ed Coan was 5'6" I believe. He weighed in at about 200lb of pretty impressive physique and was considered, pound-for-pound one of the greatest powerlifters of all time.

Genetics and *ahem* other factors aside, that shows what's possible.

Eating big and training hard are going to be your keys. Get started!