Counting Calories Sanely???

Options
Hi all,

I'm not new to MFP, though I have taken a very extended hiatus. Last year, I lost about 12 pounds here (I've gained back about 17lbs). It was great, except for one thing...when I count calories, I get really nuts about food and start to obsess. After I noticed an increase in my insanity around food, I gave up logging for a while and tried to go the intuitive eating route. It was difficult to do with a hectic lifestyle, and I ended up gaining all my weight back (see above). I've decided I'd like to lose weight again, but I'm nervous to log calories again even though it's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

Recently, I've been keeping a food and exercise journal on pen and paper as a way of holding myself accountable, but not getting hung up on the numbers. I logged today because I ate an unhealthy dinner and I wanted to see the damage. These are not my typical eating habits, though I imagine I'm over 2,000 on a regular basis considering that I haven't been losing much.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has battled with getting a bit crazy around food while actively logging. What strategies could you suggest for making it feel a bit more "normal" and taking the pressure off?

I'm looking for compassionate replies please. I've noticed that there are some "tough love" type folks on this site and I can appreciate where they are coming from since they've obviously had some success with weight loss. But I need to get to a place where I can lose weight...but not make my whole life and self-worth about my pants size. So, I guess I'm just requesting that if you feel like I need some "tough love" that you refrain for now since even considering counting calories again feels like a substantial emotional risk.

Replies

• htrombleyl
    htrombleyl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also have a tendency to be a little obsessive and I seem to always be under the recommended calorie intake for the day. I started to see a nutritionist and that helps me keep perspective. Also since I have to cook for someone else I downloaded a ton of recipes that were low cal but something we all could eat. Stay around positive people that make you feel good then your not so obsessed about what you look like because they obviously like you as you are. Hope that helps?
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals exactly but that works for some people. I suggest setting your goal to about half a pound per week and then add in exercise of some kind most days. Try to aim for close to your calorie goal but focus more on your weekly numbers instead of daily. Try not to do a total 180 with the types of food you eat but do try to incorporate more nutrient dense foods and cut back (not cut out) the other stuff. Good luck to you!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    The way I make this liveable is preplanning. It truly starts when you make your shopping list for the grocery store. I come up with the dinners I will be making for the week. I make sure I have options for breakfasts, lunches and snacks. I put a little thought into what I will be having either the night before or in the early am when I am having my coffee. I eat around my schedule. For me, dinners are the bigger meals around here and the ones that my hubby doestn like skimping on so that is the one I put the most planning into and make it tasty and healthy as possible. I try out new recipes and get creative on how to add in more vegies without skimping on taste. Pre planning and a little thought not only makes this as easy as possible but cheap too. Its easy to get focused on numbers but if you keep low cal stuff in your arsenal then you will eat low cal. I can always choose something like an oatmeal packet or salad from my already cut up vegies and lean lunchmeat or precooked chicken breast or black beans, or make myself a smoothie out of almond milk and some of my fruit and kale that I keep stocked in the freezer, etc. Get creative here and there. Make a plan. Turn off the computer for a bit each day and put a little thought into it. Make it a routine each week as you make the shopping list and pretty soon it will become easy and habit to you. I also keep a written journal. I am on day 353 right now. IF you feel obsessed too much just make a plan for the day and stick to it. I do this sometimes ahead of time so it takes the worry and guesswork out of what I will be eating. I also do not track macros. Too annoying to me.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you just have to do it and keep it as a routine. I've struggled with an ED so although I obsess about consistent logging, it's 1000x better than eating sporadically and going into starvation mode then eating junk then overcompensating with hours of exercise or purging. I think logging consistently helps put each day into perspective and makes it easier to project long term eating habits.
    For me, understanding that one or two totally off the rails days (say, a super drunk night out ending in a McDonald's second dinner at 3am) is not going to make me balloon over the course of 5 weeks if I all other days I am active and eating around 1600 cal/day. I essentially stopped weighing myself during university, I only take my measurements every few weeks so that cut out a huge stressor for me.
    Do what you need to do to be sane and happy though, if you feel like the urge or necessity to log is disrupting your day-to-day functioning and thoughts, then talk to someone.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    when I was heading that way, I was counting every meal, to the ingredient. Then over time I realised that everything I had, salad sandwich, to a baked dinner was 'roughly' the same sort of calorie content every time. After that I gave up adding the calories to the milligram. I decided to stick to the averages. An 'average' plate of a baked dinner is roughly 500 calories. The next one might be less, the one after might be more. But I'm not going to quibble about a 10, 20 calorie difference. It freed up a LOT of angst.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. I went through it myself..

As per my name you can imagine me being a real control freak when it came to my food. Once we put a number to something we tend to go a tad overboard and don't even get me started about how they make your calories go RED after going over! You'd think your first born just died..

Honestly, I've heard this time and time again .. (from non professionals, mind you) You just have to find what works for you.

Some people macros, some use MFP to a T, some eat within their numbers per day, some per week..

Eat well and work hard is my best advice. It's simple and absolutely not professional, but honest.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Maybe count every other week or even every other two weeks. And in between those weeks, try to eyeball/portion things out in your head and eat sensibly---eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Count only to keep you on tract of your goals; perhaps that will lessen the pressure?
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me -- I find a lot that when I'm tracking calories and especially logging exercise calories, I end up focusing too much about what else I can/can't fit into the day. Sometimes when I burn a decent amount through exercise I won't even be especially hungry but I'll think, 'Well, I COULD eat back more of those exercise calories'. Which is what normally ends up happening.

I notice I didn't actually struggle as hard to lose weight back when I never counted calories. I do think it might be better to eat intuitively and keep a general tab on how much you're eating for the day w/o obsessing over the exact number.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies. I think I might try logging sporadically just to keep a general tab on my overall eating habits, but continue to keep my number-free food journal on other days.

I know how to eat healthy...it's just a matter of actually doing it and not getting caught up on how many calories I do or don't have left in my day.

I completely agree with the poster who said that they would eat, even if they weren't hungry if there were calories leftover.

But listening to my body is also a tough one. I guess I just have to be patient and persevere.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Our family enjoys varying degrees of OCD-ish tendencies, and we encountered some of the same difficulty. I've also noticed a lot of folks have the same kind of experience with the scale (people scale, not food scale!)

Anyway, our little herd of 3: we each tackled things differently.

A. One weighs/measures food, logs amount/what on paper...but does the calories & macros later. A few DAYS later, after her personal "I can't eat more/less to compensate" timepoint.

B. One uses phone/barcode scans, and makes food in mass quantities divvied up into portion sizes, to avoid having to deal with thinking too often about everything. He doesn't bother looking at macros more than once a week, btw.

C. One logs meticulously, but flails about stalls, even when calories & macros have been within 10 cals consistently. Because that *tiny* discrepancy must be causing a problem, right? RIGHT?? *sigh* Yeah, that's me.

Anyway, I think A might actually be worth trying for you - as an experiment. Oh! I should say that we're all making progress, even though we're using slightly different approaches. Totally YMMV. I mean, this has to actually work for you, yanno? Good for you, for looking for creative options!

ETA: the point of A looking at the log later is to make changes (or not) to her approach to say, breakfast or whatever. Hmmm, really high on fat ever day. Guess the Latte Experiment is a no-go...
  • scarbunkle
    Options
    What I've tried doing, which works as long as I have numbers, is to let my body decide when and what to eat, and let the numbers decide how much. If I still feel hungry or nibbly, I'll grab something low-calorie like a half a romaine heart, and eat that to get a bit more bulk to what I've eaten. I also have MFP set a couple hundred calories below my TDEE-20% that I'm aiming for--it's close enough that not going over won't hurt long-term, and far enough that forgetting one snack or hitting the red isn't going to hurt, either.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    when I count calories, I get really nuts about food and start to obsess.

In my opinion it has to be this way. My wife told me the other day that I'm getting obsessive with how/what I eat, and I told her it has to be that way.

When people lose focus they start to lose their way and eventually fail.

At least while you're losing the weight. Once you're doing maintenance then it's OK to relax..... a little bit.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, it is a big nuisance to have to count calories and log what I eat, but when I stop counting and logging, I gain weight.
    So, better obsess about calories, than to be overweight and unhappy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Maybe what you can do is learn more about your own habits all while compiling a list of "safe meals". It takes some work and time before you start losing again. Here is what you can do:

- Use the pen and paper trick to write down your intake throughout the day and then enter it for calorie counting purposes at the end of the day. You don't need to restrict anything yet, just observe. Do that for a couple of weeks.

- Now go back and look at your days and their calories. What foods do you eat most often? Where do most of your calories come from? Are there things you could probably downsize or substitute? When do you tend to eat the most calories? Are there certain moods that make you eat more? Which meal is your biggest? What things make you hungry soon after eating them? Are you a small meal or a big meal person - that is do you feel more satisfied eating multiple small meals or fewer big meals? Any other observations you can come up with. write all of this down.

- Using the observations above compile a list of "absolutely must have" foods and "downsize/substitute" foods, in addition to plotting down strategies to combat the things you notice made you eat more like maybe stress, boredom, etc..

- Using the lists above build "safe meals", that is meals that would be within your allowed calorie range.
    Example: You have noticed that you tend to eat a good breakfast, small lunch and big dinner, as well as 3 snacks and that your calorie allowance is 1500. You would do 100 calories for each snack, 400 calories for breakfast, 200 for lunch and 600 for dinner:

1. Put together a list of 100 calorie snacks mentioning amount including the things you eat often: example 3 cups of air popped popcorn.
    2. Put together a list of meals you eat often, but tweak them to fit into your calorie limit for the meal. Example: use smaller amount and opt for reduced fat cheese in mac and cheese.
    3. Make sure you have at least 10 pre-written meals to choose from for each meal category.
    4. Only eat from your pre-defined list, adding to it every now and then until you have a variety of calorie controlled choices without having to log a single calorie.
    5. If you happen to have something new or went out with friends and family, log that to see how much calories it has then decide if it's worth adding to your regular meals, if so tweak it and write it down.

This way you will only need to log when you have something new, and will be within range without obsessing or counting.

You can actually use the "meal" option in the diary to form your meals and choose meaningful meal titles that allow you to see quantities at a glance like "Oatmeal: 1/3 cup oats, 1 cup milk, 1 tbsp raisins" or use the "recipe" option with the same meaningful titles if you prefer not to have a big list of ingredients in your diary. This will allow you to log things to keep track at the end of the day without being obsessive, plus it makes things faster instead of having to log every single ingredient.

You could skip logging altogether if you wish too.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out how to not be obsessive about it and every time I hit a plateau I get worse. I am afraid for the day when I lose my last 18lbs and then have to go into maintenance because I don't want to gain any weight back.