Need help with 13 y/o daughter

Options
My 13 year old daughter is currently around 5'5" and weighs 220lbs. She is having a difficult time imagining what she would look like thin. Anyone out there with a before and after pic around that starting height and weight? She sure could use the encouragement. Thanks MFP Ladies you are the best!

Replies

• miriamcpweg
    miriamcpweg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pictures, but I myself was an overweight teen, not quite as big, but I was shorter and weighed 175lb. The best advice I can give is to sign her up for either dance classes or some sort of karate. I have seen it make a difference. Lots of times it is inactivity that causes weight gain, especially when kids sit in school all day, and then come home to doing homework, watching tv, and the computer. Find something she likes and hopefully she'll be begging you to take her :) I wish you and your daughter much success.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    start little changes like buying the brown breads and rice and changing the cereal to something with more fiber, total raisin and fat free milk. My kids would rather eat my california brown rice and steamed broccoli and salads over burgers and fries. my two year old thinks green tea is a treat, my 9 and 14 years olds love brown rice,chicken breast and teriyaki sauce. I never offered it to them at first because I thought they would reject it, but they saw me eating it and asked for bites and that was it for them. I also bought them a trampoline to jump on and they don't even know they are doing something good for themselves because its so much fun.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Have her watch that show on MTV I was fat (something like that) they lose weight over the some. Huge numbers of course but they are going to the extreme. Let her know she doesn't have to go at it at that rate but she will see the before and the after. She will see that it isn't easy be the end results she will be happy with.

If you have a Xbox get the Kinect. They have some dance games that she would probably like to do and she will burn calories while doing them and you can join in as well. Thats how I spend time with my kids.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    http://www4.weightmirror.com/weightmirror/index.php?id=

Here's a site where she can upload a picture of herself and then shrink herself to the weight she wants to get to
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    She's only 13...it could just be puppy fat
    When she gets a bit older it might just start falling off.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I entered High School at 14 I was 220. I kept hoping that starving myself here and there would do it but nothing ever changed. It wasn't until I peaked at 250 after college that I made a lifestyle change. Part of my problem was I didn't have much encouragement at home and I was always known as the fat sister. I have a number of pictures on my facebook page of me in college and me now. If you would like to look through them just send me a message and we can be facebook friends.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" but was measuring 5'5" at the time these pictures were taken. I didn't actually grow, but I improved my posture from training and it made me measure taller. I was 210 during the before pictures and 175 in the after pictures. They were taken exactly 12 weeks apart. The program I was on was 5 days a week, 10 minute warm up, 45 minutes of heavy weight training (alternating the muscle groups so as not to work the same muscle group two days in a row), 45 minutes of cardio (bike or treadmill, usually), and 20 minutes of cool down and stretch. For eating, I followed the 80% rule, where I would eat 80% of my total daily energy expenditure. TDEE is BMR + activity level + planned exercise. While the scale only read 35# lost, I actually lost 62# of body fat and built 27# of lean tissue. Notice I didn't say I built 27# of muscle. Yes, some of the gains were muscle fibers, but a lot of them were glycogen stores in the body to fuel the additional exercise I was doing. I went from 46% body fat to 20% body fat. My issues were from hormonal changes and medications to control those hormonal changes. I went off all medications and got my monthly cycle under control through this program. At her age, she may be having a harder time with her monthly cycle then she should be because of her weight, but she may not even realize it isn't normal. Be sure to let her know that she may experience changes in her cycle from working out and eating healthier. I've been a 13 year old girl, though, so you may want to let your wife handle that conversation. ;)

Before
    front010103.jpg

back010103.jpg

After
    front032603.jpg

back032603.jpg
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    unfortunately 220lbs on a 13 yr old isn't puppy fat. My 10 yr old was weighing 130 and his doctor told me that he needed to lose 15 lbs. He is taller than the average 10 yr old. He looks like he is 12 or 13. He has loss those 15lbs plus some.

Changes I made. Baked chips instead of regular chips (school snack), no sodas, water with s/f mixers only, Fruits & Veggies for snacks, Lean cruisine for quick after school microwave fixes, home cooked meals, 1 drive thru meal a month, 1 pack of pretzel m&m's a week (150 calories). He has 3lbs weights that he love to just mess around with while he is watching tv and we play the kinect and wii alot.

It can be done without taking aways all their joys. My son loves mac & cheese. I just get the one lean cruisine makes...cheese ragatoni and he eats half with whatever meat I have roasted in the oven.
  • dekarlo08
    dekarlo08 Posts: 102
    Options

That's a nice thought but 220 is not puppy fat. I was that girl, still am. Only now I'm 32 and weigh 241(was at 250 before MFP). She just needs support, exercise, and good eating habits.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Look under "success stories".

There is a recent post there from a girl who lost 85lbs. She posted before and after photos.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157506-85lbs-lost-so-far-before-after
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My daughter is also 13. She was overweight until about 2 years ago. She lost the weight on her own over the summer.
    First, she had a burning desire to lose weight - she was self-motivated. I think that's critical.
    Second, she started counting calories. It was a difficult summer - eating less calories made her grumpy - but she did it. We don't drink soda or have potato chips around - but she really loves fried food. Any opportunity to eat out, it used to be fried chicken, fish,
    french fries, whatever. She gave that up (most days) to lose the weight. After that summer, she joined a cross country team at
    school. That let her eat more of what she wanted, keep the weight off, and stop counting calories.

Other changes she made was she stopped eating the school lunch. That's a calorie/fat fest around here. She packs her own
    lunch (today it included yogurt, special k bar, and carrot juice - I"m not sure what else).

I'm sure your daughter can do it. Some small changes. Some bigger changes. Remember that no food is 'off limits' - that's
    too depressing - just in moderation (both the amount and the frequency).

I'm sure you are a great role model with your weight loss. Good luck to both of you.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options

5'5" and 220 is not puppy fat.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My daughter is also 13. She was overweight until about 2 years ago. She lost the weight on her own over the summer.
    First, she had a burning desire to lose weight - she was self-motivated. I think that's critical.
    Second, she started counting calories. It was a difficult summer - eating less calories made her grumpy - but she did it. We don't drink soda or have potato chips around - but she really loves fried food. Any opportunity to eat out, it used to be fried chicken, fish,
    french fries, whatever. She gave that up (most days) to lose the weight. After that summer, she joined a cross country team at
    school. That let her eat more of what she wanted, keep the weight off, and stop counting calories.

Other changes she made was she stopped eating the school lunch. That's a calorie/fat fest around here. She packs her own
    lunch (today it included yogurt, special k bar, and carrot juice - I"m not sure what else).

I'm sure your daughter can do it. Some small changes. Some bigger changes. Remember that no food is 'off limits' - that's
    too depressing - just in moderation (both the amount and the frequency).

I'm sure you are a great role model with your weight loss. Good luck to both of you.

This is great advice
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

13 is too young to weigh that much. Some of it may melt off as she gets older, but unless she learns good eating, exercise, health and fitness habits now, she will constantly have weight problems throughout her life. There were a lot of good suggestions here for healthy, fun eating and exercise that could really help her and not take FUN away from her. Remember, she is still a kid.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter is currently around 5'5" and weighs 220lbs. She is having a difficult time imagining what she would look like thin. Anyone out there with a before and after pic around that starting height and weight? She sure could use the encouragement. Thanks MFP Ladies you are the best!

www.mybodygallery.com
    You can enter height, weight, and body type to see what real people look like at certain weights.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    miriamcpweg & 3trees are Dead On!!!

I am still is heavy and wished I got it under control when I was much younger and had the energy.

Get her moving - Dance, anything but dont tell her why.... after she starts to see her clothes getting looser on her comes the new clothes ect....

Also maybe a nutitionist could be more helpful for all of you (cooking, better choices etc..)
    These days there are alot more choices than in the past...Becareful because she is still growing.

I always remind myself - Eat to Live. Get the Nourishment ( not Live to Eat )

Take care!!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice.

My daughter is 12 and is concerned about her body weight, she currently weighs 118 lbs. She is not as thin as the other girls in her class and that bothers her. I do not allow her to call herself fat and I tell her that she is growing into her body. I too, am very careful not to impose my body issues onto her.

We try to lead by example by living an active lifestyle and plan healthy meals and grocery shop as a family. On weekends we go out and run/bike, cross country ski, skate etc. together.

She takes gymnastics for two hours once a week and is starting a volleyball league tonight. She asked if she could join.

I try to encourage my daughter to help with meal preparation so she sees what is involved in making healthy dishes.

It is a very delicate situation yet it is a crucial time in a young persons life that they learn to make healthy choices and get active.

All the best to you and your family.

Karen
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I was 13; I was about 5'1-5'2 and 138. A mixture of puberty and my mom helped me lose 20 lbs. I saw my mom give up soda, change what she was eating, snacking on, and portions. This really helped me 1. because my mom no longer kept junk in the house fruits and veggie for snacks 2. she was making healthier meals and 3. because we would go on walks together. Having someone by your side doing the something and facing the same struggles was beneficial for me, and nothing is better than the support of your parents.
  • Anjeanetes
    Options
    Wow, that's inspiring....60lbs made a huge difference.