How important is calorie deficit consistency?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    For me, very important.
    That being said, what I have learned on MFP in the past 29 months, is that you have to learn what works for yourself. Basically, weight loss occurs eating less calories than you burn. What works for one person, may or may not work for some one else. We are all different and we need to be aware of what works for ourselves. Trial and error. Get to know yourself. Many things can enter into what works or doesn't work.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I work on a weekly value. I tend to eat at, or about (sometimes above) maintenance on training days and split my deficit across my rest days.

I find this keeps me more compliant because I like to eat big after training, but that's a personal preference. For others it will be different and they will find they are more compliant with a daily deficit since it is more habit-forming.

There's no right or wrong way. Whatever you will stick with to keep you in a deficit overall basically.
  • fitnessmum_uk
    fitnessmum_uk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weekly allows you to be more flexible and enjoy your new lifestyle and as has already been said if you have plans on the weekend you can indulge a lil bit knowing you are not going over your weekly cals! We have to find ways of enjoying this change, but also keep the exercise consistent or increase!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I follow weekly as well...always did.

But I am a planner as well so I know what I am eating from Monday - Thursday on Sunday night...which allows me to tweak as necessary if I have plans for the weekend.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Weekly supporter here as well.

Otherwise, eating a whole jar of Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter would ..... make my butt look big *girl voice*
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    IMO week to week consistency is more important then day to day...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have been sitting at about a 500 calorie deficit, though some days it is more (700) some days less (200). How important is consistency on a day to day basis? I ask because I have noticed that I seem to lose weight easier when I am consistent on a daily basis, as apposed to be fluctuating and basing my overall deficit on a weekly basis.

I just want to know if this is all in my head, or maybe for some consistency does make a difference?

Look at total deficit for a week....
    You can undo 6 days of deficit by 1 day of binging.....

but being consistent day in and day out, I think is better if the goal is weight loss....
    but to each their own. :wink:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    People do very well on IF 5:2 having only 2 days of restricted calories a week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How important is consistency on a day to day basis?

It's not important in the slightest.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the weekly goal verses daily. Daily is too hard to manage but weekly that's been my key. I've done it for the past year pretty successfully IMHO. Allowing high calorie days really makes this feel like - not a diet. I'm not deprived.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ive been doing the calorie cycling ever since reading this thread, so about a week and a half and i already lost 1.8kg after not losing anything for 3 months. will definitely keep going with weekly goals! :D