How have *you* broken your weight loss streak?

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I had been very obese since my teens, then made changes in 2008 and my weight has not slipped back up since then. After finding this website and tracking my intake daily, it's just been a very steady downward trend in the scale.

However -- once in my early 20's I lost a lot of weight and didn't keep it off. I had been on steroids and completely inactive due to a spider bite & multiple related surgeries. So once I was able to get back on my feet and off the steroids, my weight was dropping off...add to that a bad breakup and living alone on a limited budget, and I couldn't really afford much food. I had pretty terrible habits of living on eggs and rice and loads of diet cola, but not really eating enough calories at all. I dropped 70 lb and looked like crap with big hollow eyes and a sunken face. The weight stayed off for 1 year. The minute I started up a new relationship with a guy who was very obese & loved to cook and eat...all of the weight came right back. I didn't really understand how to make sustainable changes and I refused to own a scale to monitor my weight.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think for me there are a couple factors. One was having a strong reason for why I was losing weight. Another was having accountability partners to keep me on track. Last I made sure to occasionally treat myself (but staying within my calories, not going overboard) so I didn't feel like I was depriving myself.

Overconfidence without having the moderation gene kick in is one reason for me. My thinking: "I've lost some weight so I don't have to log my food today (which turns into a week, or month)". Then you fall off the band wagon of being really conscious of what you eat. This results into the portions becoming larger and eating calories that are way over your deficit or maintenance calories.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I originally got down to where I am now in the Spring of 2012. Since then it's just been discipline and accountability. I decided that I just didn't ever want to be like that again. I've allowed myself some "off" time here and there for vacations or holidays but then I just get back at it. Don't beat yourself up if you get a little off track, just get back on the horse.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I think for me personally, I lost 28lbs and started looking great...people would comment on how much weight I had lost and some would say I'm too "skinny" this was the permission I needed to go eat when really I should have focussed not on weight loss but fat loss...Whats different this time? I don't know, everyone will always have an opinion, my motivation is different instead of loosing weight I want to loose and maintain so I guess thats another challenge right there...also understanding that one bad meal/ decision will not undo all my work and the opposite!!! Come on guys we can do it!!!

Totally this! I was down a lot and became complacent because people told me I should be happy with where I was and happy with my weight loss. Maybe they were right? I stopped focusing on the calories and started working out very sporadically instead of obsessively...and 30 of those pounds came back on...and I'm back to losing them now. Everyone will have an opinion and I don't need to be happy because they say I should be. I don't need to stop because people say I should. When I am happy with me...I'll be the one to know it!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This is my first time actively trying to lose weight, so I have no experience in stopping/starting. Today is day 112 for me and my bottom line is: failure isn't an option. This is my new life and "going back" isn't something I can do. It's the same mindset I used when I quit smoking (cold turkey) 10 months ago.

You can do it :happy:
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump - for inspiration - I'm on a half trying slump which I need to get myself out of

... but the fact I'm half trying ... rather that just giving up IS a postive
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Aside from physical problems, people quit for one reason: they want to quit.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I did so during exam period (needed food all day for studying), the post exam period (I was drinking a lot to celebrate then went away to Rome so ate my body weight in Pizza (and drank it again in wine) ) and the next one is coming when I head to Venice and Croatia in a few weeks.

I think the main thing that throws people off is being too strict - every time I have stopped I have done it out of personal choice and it's never thrown me off course permanently. I've only lost 20lbs since January but that's over 10% of my original body weight and I used to eat SO BADLY all of the time. My worst habit was around 10 months ago I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and second dinner, all meals consisting largely of crap. If I logged how much I ate back then now, it would be well over 3000 calories a day. But now I have got myself into good habits long term I exercise good self restraint but reward myself by having time off - it's no fun to be the only person watching their food and drink at a big event etc. People get fed up and wonder if it's really worth it if you're too hard on yourself all of the time.

The most important thing to remember is that this is a lifestyle choice - it can only be made permanent if you make it sustainable. If you try and force yourself to give up the things you love forever and always instead of telling yourself you can only have it in moderation it's a course for failure. And at the end of the day, moderation allows you to appreciate things more.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at this very long but a big difference this time around is "education" and "information".
    No I haven't found any magic way of shedding the pounds and keeping it off,... I have found what seems to work for me.

Before when I wanted to lose I would go on a "diet" and lose quick,.. then resume "normal" eating and gain it back. (and then some)

This time around no "diet". I eat whatever I want within my calorie goal. So I can have my cake and eat it too. :tongue:

Knowing what I put in my mouth and what the consequences are has made a real difference. So when I have that cake, I have to "be good" the rest of the day, and maybe exercise a little more.

I haven't weight this little in probably 9 years.
    I really feel I can keep it up this time. Because honestly I don't feel like I'm on a "diet"
  • buttfacedprincess
    buttfacedprincess Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a 50-ish day streak, at 20 lbs down and it kind of all came crashing down last month. My uncle had a stroke, my boyfriend dumped me, my little sister had a baby, I fainted at work, and I was working 45+ hours a week. That entire month just really went out the window and I gained a little over 5 lbs in that time. Luckily, I'm not even 2 weeks into this month and I'm already back on track. Started a workout regimen, too. Full steam ahead.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    cut out all alcohol, most meat, and no sweets. I'm not really craving anything or torturing myself. In fact, I feel like I can just keep on going indefinitely and get to my goal weight (although my weight loss has leveled off at a more normal/safe 2-3 pounds per week)

This...

making my "diet" too restrictive is what made me yo yo for 3 years before I got it.

Moderation is the key and until I learned that I didn't have to give up my favorites while I was losing weight I yo yo'd.

This time I ate what I wanted, I hit my protien goals and stayed in my deficit and now I am at maitenance and have been all summer long...even a bit below due to my activity.

I still drink, I eat my chocolate, have my pasta and nosh on various snacks when they are out.

Being too restrictive or cutting out foods/food groups for me is a recipe for disaster.

Me too!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Going back to overeating is a signal that one hasn't addressed the reason they turn to food as a drug to medicate the cause of pain, fear, stress, etc.

The mechanics of losing weight is simple and straight forward...but unless one addresses and works through issues that result in food addiction, removing weight and maintaining that loss for any period of time will prove to be difficult and cause much suffering.

Many folks deny they are addicted to food ("I just LOVE the taste of food...but I'm not addicted)..but the evidence of their addiction (i.e. fat) is out there for all to see. Evidence of food addiction can be seen in some folks who have had gastric bypass and because they can no longer rely on food to "fill the void and ease the pain" they turn to the use of drugs and alcohol.

Signs of addiction are:

1) Taking substance and can't stop
    2) Withdrawal symptoms
    3) Addiction continues despite health problem awareness
    4) Social and/or recreational sacrifices
    5) Maintaining a good supply of substances
    6) Obsession with getting and using substance
    7)**Denial**
    8) Secrecy and solitude
    9) Excess consumption
    10) Dropping hobbies & activities one used to enjoy
    11) Having secret stashes of substances

May of us on MFP can tick quite a few (if not all) of these boxes when it comes to our overeating habits. If diet and exercise was the answer, most everyone on MFP would possibility qualify for the cover of the next issue of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition or GQ.

The first time I dropped 75 pounds, I didn't address the mind-body connection of my addiction and regained it all back plus 10 pounds.. This time around, I am working through that connection...it's not easy, but I know it is THE KEY to maintaining my healthy lifestyle. I am currently 1 year & 4 months into maintenance.
  • djsiry
    djsiry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Going back to overeating is a signal that one hasn't addressed the reason they turn to food as a drug to medicate the cause of pain, fear, stress, etc.

I think this is a very insightful post, and it definitely applies to me. When I have been on my "weight gain" cycles, I find myself looking forward to certain foods (usually not the good kind!) and finding opportunities to go eat them, typically along with alcohol. It would be very relaxing, like a pleasant retreat - often times alone. Sounds like addictive behavior to me (although the alone part is pretty practical - I would crave meat and my wife and kid are vegan)
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of others I think I've been too harsh and unrealistic with previous efforts where I probably considered the diet a kind of short term punishment until I could go back to 'normal' food. I find that frequent travel for work and holidays are also big contributors to falling off the healthy eating wagon.

Before, I always used to focus mostly on exercise, eat just salad or soup and ignore the more holistic nutrition aspect because I considered myself a hopeless case in the kitchen. I'm trying to make a more equal balance this time- involving exercise because I enjoy it and like seeing results but also trying to prepare healthy (but not miserably restricted) lunches for work.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Depression. It comes out of no where a lot of the time, and can last anywhere from just a couple weeks to a few months, or even a year. It's like someone flips off a light switch in your brain and you suddenly can just barely get in to work (and sometimes you don't even do that), let alone for make your own food or go for a run. I had a bout of it recently, and luckily it only lasted two weeks. It's next to impossible to want to take care of yourself in that state, so a lot of progress can be undone in a short amount of time.

To combat this, I focus on bouncing back as gracefully as possible. I try to force myself to eat well, even if I don't exercise. Then add in exercise again gradually. Just forcing myself to go through the motions of a healthy lifestyle doesn't "snap you out of it," but it helps lessen the damage I'll see when I get back to feeling more like myself.