Sauna Workout

I love going to the sauna after my cardio and lifting. The cardio room at my Y is cold to down right freezing in the morning and it feels good to stretch in the sauna. I also like doing some basic exercises in the sauna as well like body squats and push ups. It is a great sweat but I am breaking policy by working out in the sauna.

Anyone have any other low key exercise that would be good in the sauna?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The sauna is not a workout place. That's why they have rules against working out in there.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    You're not supposed to workout in sauna- you might get real dizzy and even faint.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Have you considered doing heated or hot yoga? the room temperature is 80 and 110 degrees, respectively. you'll do LOTS of body work and stretching, as well as (the equivalent of) pushups.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Have you considered doing heated or hot yoga? the room temperature is 80 and 110 degrees, respectively. you'll do LOTS of body work and stretching, as well as (the equivalent of) pushups.

Yes, but Yoga scares me a little.

I do get a little dizzy but it feels worth it as it feels like I am really pushing myself.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member

I do get a little dizzy but it feels worth it as it feels like I am really pushing myself.

You're getting dizzy because it's HOT in there. I get dizzy in the sauna and I'm just sitting there.

Seriously, STOP "exercising" in the sauna. Suck it up and do your workout in the cold gym. If you work hard enough you won't be cold any more.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member

I'm confused...how/why does yoga scare you but you don't seem the least bit afraid of passing out in the sauna?
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    I'm confused...how/why does yoga scare you but you don't seem the least bit afraid of passing out in the sauna?

I have poor core strength and I hate stretching
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Dizzy feelings are not from pushing yourself in a good way .. they are warning signs. You violate a very common sense rule by exercising in the sauna, admit you have poor core strength yet do nothing to address that, and hate stretching although flexibility is a component of fitness ... that's a trifecta of messed up right there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    wow this sounds like a really bad idea... like putting that fork inside the light socket.

stretching i can see but working out? c'mon son
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Yoga isn't all about stretching. Hot yoga especially - find a vinyasa flow class. Fast paced, hot room, a great work out