Right shoes for heavy person who loves running?

Options
I am over 100 pounds overweight. I have lost 23 so far through hard work. During my journey to a healthy new me, I have found that I love running. I run in at lunchtime at work, over bridges, around the park, around my neighborhood. This is my "go to" cardio.
I just want to know if anyone can recommend a good sneaker for running that will both support my weight and not be too expensive. I tried looking on line and running shoes are over 100 bucks. I cant afford this right now. I need something more affordable.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go to a running store and get properly fitted for a pair of shoes. Let them know your budget and they will work with you the best they can.

I know you said you cannot afford $100 shoes, but think of how much money you would pay for healthcare should you become injured from wearing improperly fitted or cheap shoes.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go to a running store and get properly fitted for a pair of shoes. Let them know your budget and they will work with you the best they can.

I know you said you cannot afford $100 shoes, but think of how much money you would pay for healthcare should you become injured from wearing improperly fitted or cheap shoes.

Um, what?

Cheap shoes cause ER visits?

More at 11?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Completely agree, it is worth it to pay for a good pair of shoes, but once you find the right pair you can always shop around for cheaper price. I paid $100 to be fitted for the right shoe, but have been able to find the same shoes at the outlet store or online for much less. Same with running bras.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Yep. Been laid up 6 months now, and still have inflamed achilles tendons and plantar faciitis from running in cheap shoes. And I stopped as soon as I felt pain.

Judging by your posts, you are pretty much a troll. Get ready to be reported.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Don't twist my words around, that is not what I said. I have run 12 marathons, 2 50 mile Ultramarathons and countless lesser distance races. I have qualified for and run the Boston Marathon 4 times, so I know what I am talking about.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it will be worth it to get fitted and pay the money. I did ONE run in cheap shoes when I first started running and fractured my foot.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get to a running store and get fitted if you can. I'm a big guy and got fitted for Brooks Beasts 20 years ago and have worn nothing else to run since.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Don't twist my words around, that is not what I said. I have run 12 marathons, 2 50 mile Ultramarathons and countless lesser distance races. I have qualified for and run the Boston Marathon 4 times, so I know what I am talking about.

Are you trained in gorilla warfare, too?
  • SammieJustMe
    Options
    Yes go get them fitted!!
    I bought some shoes online (and not even the cheaper ones) and ended up with a knee injury because of bad shoes.

I now have fitted shoes and they are so much better.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree 1st thing is to get fitted. There is a place near me that has a thing you step on and it reads your feet. Then gives you a print out of which shoes are best for you. Honestly those places have higher priced shoes usually unless they happen to have a pair on clearance. That that list and do some research online to find a more budget friendly pair. Academy always has good prices on running shoes.

Note: I'm heavy and I absolutely love Mizuno's. I pay a good bit for them but I also have seen them online for good prices if you buy previous years style.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Yep. Been laid up 6 months now, and still have inflamed achilles tendons and plantar faciitis from running in cheap shoes. And I stopped as soon as I felt pain.

Judging by your posts, you are pretty much a troll. Get ready to be reported.

I would more equate myself to Batman - I help when needed, but it's tough love.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Nice way to divert from the topic at hand, about which you clearly know nothing.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also injured myself long distance running in inapporpriate shoes when I started out (about 70+ lbs overweight) - stress fracture + knee issues. I have since been fitted at a running shoes and run in Brooks Adrenalines. Great shoe and feels like I'm running on air. Expensive, but worth it for your physical well being.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes are an investment. Don't buy cheap shoes, save up if you have to, it'll be worth it. :)
  • LazSommer
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Nice way to divert from the topic at hand, about which you clearly know nothing.

I was just giving you more opportunities to feel special, sorry.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am over 100 pounds overweight. I have lost 23 so far through hard work. During my journey to a healthy new me, I have found that I love running. I run in at lunchtime at work, over bridges, around the park, around my neighborhood. This is my "go to" cardio.
    I just want to know if anyone can recommend a good sneaker for running that will both support my weight and not be too expensive. I tried looking on line and running shoes are over 100 bucks. I cant afford this right now. I need something more affordable.

Your feet are the main reasons to support your "love for running". If you are going to not support them with good fitted shoes (cheap or expensive doesn't matter) be prepared for consequences.

That being said if you do not want to invest in shoes have you thought about barefoot running. It is not easy initially but if you can go the route of barefoot running I think you may in long run avoid the expense of spending on shoes. Jus' a thought to think about.

Good Luck.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

You're still off topic. Unless you can give the OP an actual answer to her question like the others who have responded (all of whom have agreed with me), you should just move on.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Honestly you seem to be nice person and I have seen and read some good comments and response coming from you. Don't change that impression. Jus' saying. Choice is yours.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Um, what?

More at 11?

Bad fitting running shoes will cause you to be at the doctor far more times than getting your rocks off with a 20 buck hooker.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes are an investment. Don't buy cheap shoes, save up if you have to, it'll be worth it. :)

Last seasons top running shoes usually end up under $100, so its possible to get quality without spending too much.