Picky eater, trying to lower water retention in body

Options
dhaemon
dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
Okay, so I am nailing my calories. Not a problem. But because I am a picky eater, my sodium is usually in the red @ 2200 mg. Which is fine as I know I'm losing "Fat weight". But I want to lose water weight by equalizing it with potassium. So I want to go over my daily recommended Potassium. Which is 3500 mg.

So, my aim here is to take 4000 mg in potassium a day. That should flush out my excess sodium real quick.
So, how do I do this?
Potassium supplement pills come in 100 mg pills. So I don't think I'm going to take around 30 pills a day lol.
I will be clear here, I HATE vegetables, except potato. But I can't eat that everyday. I eat a one big banana a day.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Second question:
Oh and I'm not a nutritionist, but since sodium is water soluble, if I drink 3+ liters a day, will my kidneys pee out the sodium with a high amount of water?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go crazy on trying to force feed yourself potassium or water. I'm a salt lover myself. I do try to drink more to pee more before a weigh day or after a bingey weekend.... But in real life, it's not fat, so who cares?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to up your potassium like that. Ask your doctor about that if you're concerned. If I were you, I would just up the water intake. My sodium tends to be high sometimes, but I also aim to drink 40-50 cups of water daily, which counteracts that. Potassium can be found in foods, so if you want to have potassium, then eat spinach, kale, other leafy greens.
  • dhaemon
    Options
    I wouldn't go crazy on trying to force feed yourself potassium or water. I'm a salt lover myself. I do try to drink more to pee more before a weigh day or after a bingey weekend.... But in real life, it's not fat, so who cares?

Well I got a scare when my ankles began to swell. I know its from excess sodium, so I want to fix it, pronto.
  • dhaemon
    Options
    I wouldn't try to up your potassium like that. Ask your doctor about that if you're concerned. If I were you, I would just up the water intake. My sodium tends to be high sometimes, but I also aim to drink 40-50 cups of water daily, which counteracts that. Potassium can be found in foods, so if you want to have potassium, then eat spinach, kale, other leafy greens.

You drink about 12 liters of water a day?
    Holy crap, do you sit on a toilet all day, or wear a diaper? lol
  • mthr2
    Options
    Well I got a scare when my ankles began to swell. I know its from excess sodium, so I want to fix it, pronto.

Yeah, drink a bunch of water.....and maybe put your feet up? It could be a sign of dehydration, even. (Or so I read in some random article). If the water and rest doesn't help, do see your doctor.
  • dhaemon
    Options

Yeah, drink a bunch of water.....and maybe put your feet up? It could be a sign of dehydration, even. (Or so I read in some random article). If the water and rest doesn't help, do see your doctor.

Well it made a difference, 1 week on my diet the swelling went away.
  • mthr2
    Options
    Good!
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Drink as much water as possible, I shoot for at LEAST 1 gallon a day, especially the day after a high sodium meal. I do this all the time after a meal very high in Sodium and my face and fingers swell up. And it works, it sounds counter productive to take in more water when you are retaining it, but I know from experience that you will get rid of a lot more water weight by taking in more water and letting your body discard it naturally. And if you can, go outside and get your sweat on, that helps too.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

You drink about 12 liters of water a day?
    Holy crap, do you sit on a toilet all day, or wear a diaper? lol

Well it's throughout the day. On days I work, I aim to drink about 13 cups of water before I leave the house, then aim to drink 14 cups while I'm at work(active retail job, so I get thirsty and I have a water bottle that holds 7 cups). I pee a lot, but it doesn't stop me from getting things done.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just a tip if you use salt to salt anything. Morton has a lite salt. It's literally called Morton's Lite Salt. It is NOT the same as a salt substitute. It is still salt, but it has half the amount of sodium as regular salt because they added in potassium. It tastes great and it will not only be less in sodium but will give you extra potassium.

Also, going over 3500 mg of potassium a day could be dangerous so please just stick to that.