Running Question

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
Tonight when I got home from work, I put my lunch bag and containers away and then I changed and went for a run. I just couldn't get up to speed and could barely run for any short distance. :grumble: Last week on Tuesday I had shaved 2 minutes of my 5K time and did it in 32:02. (I finished the C25K app end of July.) Now I haven't been out to run in about a week but have been doing walking. Is it possible that since I didn't go go for a week (after going every 2-3 days for the last few weeks) that it was part of way I just couldn't seem to get going tonight? I didn't have supper before going, but I did have a Special K granola bar around 5pm. Never really had the issue of not being able to run since I started the C25K app and it left me feeling disappointed!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Not all runs are going to be a PR (nor should they be). Sometimes, you just have an off day. Happens to all of us. Don't sweat it, just get back into your regular routine.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Some times you just have a bad run :( I notice when I don't hydrate or fuel enough (even when I eat right before run, if I haven't eaten enough through the day), I feel weaker.

Shake it off--they can't all be great! Just pat yourself on the back for getting out there and trying. Tomorrow is another day! :drinker:
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Not all runs are going to be a PR (nor should they be). Sometimes, you just have an off day. Happens to all of us. Don't sweat it, just get back into your regular routine.

Exactly this!
    You got out there and ran, that's what gonna make you faster. Congrats on completing C25K! And be careful, running is addicting lol :)
  • FaulknerJessica
    Options
    Missing a few days always throws me for a loop. Push through, do the best that you can and you'll be back on track in no time!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Bad days are just part of running....in fact, I think I have more bad days than good ones. The bad days are the ones where I get to test my mental toughness....sometimes if I am starting to have a bad run, I will deliberately alter my course to tougher section to see if I'm going to be a baby about it or not. And sometimes I am. But most times the sucky runs are the ones that push me into better, longer runs. I love running, but to be honest, it is rarely fun.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging and there are some days I have lots of energy and can blast through it no problem and other days I feel like I can barely make it. Could be I was dehydrated, stress from work, crappy sleep the night before from kids being up at night, who knows. Sounds pretty normal to me, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Not all runs are going to be a PR (nor should they be).

This and only this. My 5k PR is 19:19. I never ever ever ever ever run that pace, ever unless I'm racing. Even then, lol, I'd be LUCKY to run 1 mile of a 5k at that pace again.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

This.
    Exactly this!
    You got out there and ran, that's what gonna make you faster. Congrats on completing C25K! And be careful, running is addicting lol :)

And this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not all runs are going to be a PR (nor should they be).

This and only this. My 5k PR is 19:19. I never ever ever ever ever run that pace, ever unless I'm racing. Even then, lol, I'd be LUCKY to run 1 mile of a 5k at that pace again.

b3ef6130907abe41ab8b8c92c0ecc355.jpg
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Don't let it get to you. We can't all have great days. I run 3 to 4 times a week. Some times I'm struggling through and sometimes I kill it. You ran. And no matter how slow or bad your run was you still lapped the alternative version where you didn't go at all.
  • angf0679
    Options
    I guess I was just feeling discourage. I've only been doing the straight running with no walking intervals for about a month or so and that's the first time I struggled with it. I did feel bad about not getting out more then once last week and was feeling a little out of shape. Didn't think that would be possible after only a week! One good thing about taking up running: I can "run" for my bus and not get out of breath! (Like this morning when I went out the door five minutes late. I had my book bag and lunch bag and was running down the street to my stop so I wouldn't miss my bus! I got there about 10 seconds before it did.)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    b3ef6130907abe41ab8b8c92c0ecc355.jpg

Is that Jack's foto? :wink:

ETA: I wanted to add wink
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm with these guys. Sometimes I take a few days off and I DRAG. Then again, I have had times where I sat on my butt and ate cheet-os for 2 weeks, went out and had a VERY good run.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yep, there's good runs and bad runs. Last week I thought maybe potato chips and Palm Bays are the answer! A great run after a party night and a lousy run when fuelled by nutritious food, water, and rest? Inconceivable! Then I had a good laugh and thought maybe I should stop over analyzing and just keep pounding the pavement. Even the lousy run felt good at the end because I didn't let it get the better of me :)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    As a new runner it would be a good idea to have a diary - track such things as sleep, type of food, distance, how you felt etc. In that way you may discern patterns that will help you run better.

That being said - don't sweat it, there's always tomorrow.

Oh and as a runner I think there are three things that have to be in sync for it to work, legs, lungs and brain. Sometimes the brain is the hardest. I like to joke that my left brain wants to stop and my right brain wants to go faster. They are always fighting. :ohwell:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I usually actually have a better run if I take a week off, though I very seldom do it. When I do, my runs seem so much easier for me. The one thing that kills me every time is on the days I run after work, if I have too much to eat at lunch, even if it's not much more than normal, I just cannot run worth diddly. So I make sure that I don't eat out on my running days, or change up my running days if I am going to be eating out. My best runs on on the weekends in the mornings with just a banana on my stomach.
  • angf0679
    Options
    Same topic - New question

My first 5K race is in 29 days. I've heard you should overtrain for short races. I only do 5K when I go out. Should I start seeing if I can go longer? I feel like I can keep going. (Most days). BTW: went tonight and got a time half way between my last two times out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For a new runner you'll make improvements to your speed by increasing your distance or increasing the frequency of your sessions. Going longer isn't going to hurt you.

Personally my 5Km time improved significantly when I started training for 10Km, but you're not going to get there in three weeks. Start working towards it though.