Angry and ashamed at your fat/pre-weight loss self?

Options

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Angry or ashamed, no. Sad that I wasted YEARS not doing things because of my weight, yes.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am not angry because I had to find ways to deal and comfort myself rather than eat. Now I can help others which is very fulfilling. I am proud of myself for getting my weight down. I have had to learn to set boundaries with myself and tell myself No. I have had to learn I can get thru tough stuff without all that food and find out who I really am. I have learned I can make changes and get my self respect back. Some people turn to drugs or alcohol, I turned to food. I think we cope with stress anyway we can until we find better ways, problem solving, exercise.

This.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My fat(er) self made the decision to improve. My fat(er) self was just as awesome as my current less-fat self. Why would I beat myself up over the fact that I had a very real struggle with something for 40 years but I did not give up. Even when I was fat(er) wasn't ashamed of my struggle with my weight despite the fact that many people thought I should be.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am not angry because I had to find ways to deal and comfort myself rather than eat. Now I can help others which is very fulfilling. I am proud of myself for getting my weight down. I have had to learn to set boundaries with myself and tell myself No. I have had to learn I can get thru tough stuff without all that food and find out who I really am. I have learned I can make changes and get my self respect back. Some people turn to drugs or alcohol, I turned to food. I think we cope with stress anyway we can until we find better ways, problem solving, exercise.

This.
    +2
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not angry or ashamed but it's more like I am disappointed in my former self. I wasted a lot of time making unhealthy food and exercise choices while feeling bad about myself. From my mid 20s until now. Now I'm 38--middle aged!--and it's a hell of a hole to dig out of. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and I'm happy with my results so far. I just wish I hadn't waited so long.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am angry or ashamed. I look back and wish I would have gotten motivated to lose the weight sooner. Mainly because I do more active things now that I missed. I still look at the old pictures for motivations...sometimes when I am down on myself, they remind me of how far I have come and how hard I worked to get her. I also look at them to remind myself I don't want to go back there. I will still show people a before and after picture when a subject of weight loss comes up.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, both angry and ashamed. There are reasons for my weight gain (depression, general unhappiness) but there's really no excuse. I am angry and ashamed I let myself slide so far and did not love myself enough to take care of my body.

A couple of years ago I realized I was tired of being fat and got serious about losing, but only recently felt the acute urgency that I did not want to spend one more day of my life overweight.

I had occasion to look through some photos of myself at my absolute heaviest a few weeks ago and looked at them ruefully, realizing I have wasted years being overweight and dealing with all the bull**** it brings along with it.

Now that I am losing, I feel better in many ways. The path is long and difficult, but I am on it and living life more fully.
  • alice_schmalice
    alice_schmalice Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Guilt and shame are very different. I am guilty of all of the self sabotaging things I've done to contribute to being unhealthy. - which INCLUDES shaming myself into making a change. Am I ashamed now? No. Shame means there is something fundamentally wrong with ME, shame says "who cares, you're going to fail anyway, just eat that junk." Shame says "you're worthless, you're a mistake." Guilt says "well you made unhealthy choices, what will you do about it?"

Love yourself at all stages, otherwise you may decide you don't care again and go back to being unhealthy.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My fat(er) self made the decision to improve. My fat(er) self was just as awesome as my current less-fat self. Why would I beat myself up over the fact that I had a very real struggle with something for 40 years but I did not give up. Even when I was fat(er) wasn't ashamed of my struggle with my weight despite the fact that many people thought I should be.

Absolutely this. I'm the same person, just smaller. I'm not ashamed of me now, so why should I be ashamed of me then? I spent those years building a career, having my daughter and doing a ton of other things.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Angry, check
    Ashamed, check
    Sad, check
    Embarassed, check

I used to be 100lbs heavier than my ticker says. Actually more than that. I look at the few old pix of me and feel so many emotions.
    I will not ever go back there.
  • MichaelJTaco
    Options
    Hi there -- Seems to me that you might welcome that ghost of the old you as a reminder that you NEVER want to go back there!

When I was in my mid 30s, I lost 40 pounds on NutriSystem and kept it off until I moved to Texas, about 21 years ago. The local styles of eating here are not especially healthy, so over the years I gained all of that weight back and a little more. I'm now 68 years old and having a TERRIBLE time taking the weight off again....after swearing to myself all those years ago that I would never let myself get that heavy again.

Don't look back and be angry that you were there. Look back and resolve never to GO BACK there. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well, my situation is a bit different than most of the people here. I was super skinny then got fat. So my skinny self haunts me! :frown:

P.s. Congrats on the weight loss!! You look great.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ...Love yourself at all stages,.....

This^^…. and This ^^ again!
    So many people here have said it in different ways…. I encourage you to try to moderate/eliminate the negative self-talk spiral that can get you down. You’ve accomplished so much – it may take a while for your mind to grow into the new you - or even believe you made it this far. Give yourself (and your skin) some time to adjust and BE PROUD! At the risk of sounding motherly (I AM old enough) I remember thinking of myself as “fat” when I was 23 (although I wasn’t) and I spent the next 30 years constantly “struggling” with my weight and kicking myself for it. Now, at 55, and clearly, truly overweight, I’ve decided to just “get over myself”, do the right things, enjoy food and my shape – and quit the “struggle”. As a result, I’ve lost 35 lbs and feel like I’m on a very sustainable path to reach my goal and keep it off. Please don’t be me…. CELEBRATE your successes and YOURSELF, NOW! Good Luck!
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to concentrate on how I look. I'm trying to concentrate on the emotional stuff instead.

I'm asking myself questions such as:

What was emotionally going on that made me stop caring for myself?
    Why did I think that I was less important?
    What do I need to change to change this thinking?
    What is my payoff for allowing myself to be overweight/out of shape?

I'm trying to concentrate on the WHY, so that I don't end up going back to where I was, as opposed to, " I look like absolute **** in my photos."
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much for the replies. There have been a lot of good points and perspectives pointed out to me and I definitely will try to apply those to myself. I've very much disliked my body since I was around 8 or 9 years old, by which time I was overweight, and in most of those last 15 years I have treated it less than kindly, both physically and mentally. I think it may just take a LOT of work and undoing, because I've focused sooooo much on the negative for most of my life. I do acknowledge the positive, but always go back to what still needs to be fixed (in my opinion), and that just sends me into criticizing how I used to be AS WELL AS how I am now. I need to get used to self-love and appreciation for what I've done so far, and forgiveness for what I've done in the past when I was uninformed about how to control my weight. I don't give myself enough credit for what I've achieved. But everyone's replies have helped me think a bit differently.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Angry or ashamed, no. Sad that I wasted YEARS not doing things because of my weight, yes.

I feel much the same way, but definitely have some anger about the wasted years on top of the sadness. I am working on letting go of that because while I'm not sure it's holding me back anymore, I know it's not helping.

I have struggled for decades with my weight, so to Numinousnymph, I'd say do whatever you can to forgive yourself. If that means writing "I forgive my past overweight self" 100 times per day, so be it. If that means therapy, great. If that means reading a book on shame, wonderful. If that means prayer, go for it. Whatever is going to work for you. Just work to let it go so it doesn't drag behind you as you move forward.

PS - Not sure how long it's been since you reached your current (and/or goal weight), but if it's a recent change, give your body a little time to adjust before surgery. You might be surprised at how much your skin will change -- it is still pretty darn elastic at 23. And if you have any plans to try to add muscle to your frame (and I'm not saying you need to or should, just IF), that will also affect your skin.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Not angry or ashamed but it's more like I am disappointed in my former self. I wasted a lot of time making unhealthy food and exercise choices while feeling bad about myself. From my mid 20s until now. Now I'm 38--middle aged!--and it's a hell of a hole to dig out of. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and I'm happy with my results so far. I just wish I hadn't waited so long.

Again, yes!
  • alisakr2
    Options
    Parroting what other people have already said, but regretting something or wishing you could change the past does nothing but waste even more of your precious time!

Love yourself for the progress you've made and the progress you'll continue to make. Be proud of yourself. Losing weight/getting fit involves an amount of self-discipline that some people will never have. The focus and discipline you gain from this process will carry on to other areas of your life, be it your career, your relationships, or any other personal endeavors.

Don't feel ashamed, use what you've learned to focus on bettering yourself. Our time on this earth is limited; focus on making the most out of the years you have left :flowerforyou:
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I went through some pretty severe abuse as a child and I know (now) that I used food to self-medicate in order to take away pain. It was the only way that I thought I could feel good about myself, so of course.... that led to me feeling bad about myself because of social ostracization. I pretty much thought, "Well, I can't win anyway, everyone hates me" and so I never did anything about it.

It didn't help that the abuse was cyclical - my mother was a child of abuse, my grandmother was, etc. So we all did the same exact thing - we attempted to self-medicate with food and ended up the way we did.

I can't be ashamed of my former self, because it's who I was for nearly all of my life. I'm sad that it got to the point it did, yes. I'm angry that it took me this long to realize my issues and to attempt to fix them. But ashamed? No I did what I thought I had to do to survive, and if anyone else feels ashamed of me, that's on them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mostly angry at myself because I was too weak to make a change (although to be fair for a long time I was convinced that my metabolism really sucked thanks to a dietitian I saw when I was 19 who totally discouraged me), and now I'll have the scars forever, literally (well, in the form of loose skin and stretch marks). But there's a lot of things I've done in the past that I would change if I could, and it's a bit pointless to live in the past... best we can do is try to do better now.