Bloated all of the time?

Options
Hi guys,

Sooo, I'm feeling super frustrated right now because I keep waking up bloated. I work out 6 times a week and have been eating clean for about 3 months. I am a vegetarian. I drink 7 glasses of water a day, and I don't eat or drink (except for water) anything after 9pm. I also avoid sodium/carbs as much as I can. I also tried taking a probiotic which didn't help at all. I am not constipated (ew) or anything. I don't have stomach aches or any kind of stomach discomfort (excluding the bloating) so why is this happening?!

As I said before, the problem is that I keep waking up super bloated and I don't know why... Then throughout the day, as I eat and live my life, my stomach just keeps getting bigger and bigger to the point where I don't even feel comfortable anymore. I used to have where I'd wake up with my normal, flat, belly and it would just get bigger...but now it's starting out big and just getting gigantic by the end of the day!!

Can someone please help me out and tell me if theres anything I can do to get a grip on this ridiculous bloating issue? And does anyone else have this issue? Thanks! :)

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Perhaps you should make an appointment with your doctor?
  • lilenz
    lilenz Posts: 12
    Options
    I have. I've been tested for a thyroid condition as well as hormonal imbalance and nothing came up. He didn't really give me any pointers on what to do about the bloating other then it could be stress related (which I doubt since I'm a fairly calm person) or it could be IBS. Which I show no other symptoms of having.
  • lilenz
    Options
    He also said that it could be due to dehydration...but, like I said before, I drink at least 7 glasses of water throughout the day....

On a normal day (which are rare) I am 95 lbs. But when I'm bloated I gain 3 - 6 pounds.
  • AshleyCraig54
    AshleyCraig54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could it be a sensitivity to gluten? I know a friend of mine is very sensitive, and if she accidentally eats gluten she looks six months pregnant by the end of the day and into the next day!
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant? See a doctor
  • ladyofthelakeontario
    Options
    Are you tracking sodium? I have a friend who stays bloated unless her sodium levels are really low.

Have you checked into food sensitivities?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that since you said you weigh 95lbs that you're like 5ft nothing.

You could have a sensitivity to a specific food that you're eating on a regular basis which is causing you to bloat and have a little discomfort from it. You could also be retaining water since you're working out 6 days a week; I'd definitely consider taking a least one more rest day, or even a few days, off exercising to see if it makes any visible difference.

If it's as persistent as you seem to think, you should go back to your doctor. You've got to be your own advocate; if you think something's wrong, you need to push the issue.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Are you tracking sodium? I have a friend who stays bloated unless her sodium levels are really low.

Have you checked into food sensitivities?

^
    This.

I use to consume a little too much sodium, and also workout 7 days a week. I'm a long-distance runner and also weight lift. And once I cut back I replace it with healthy options, fiber is a great alternative. It'll keep you feeling full and flush out through your system so you won't (hopefully) have that bloated feeling. Also are you drinking enough water. Try adding more water to your diet daily and also another good thing to add is green tea.
  • lilenz
    Options
    Thank you! And yes, I am 5'1... I'll definitely try to take a few days off this week to see if it helps.
  • lilenz
    Options
    Thank you! I'll try to track my sodium levels but yes, I do drink a lot of water throughout the day as well as consuming a lot of fiber. I'll also check out food sensitivities. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    How much fiber are you getting? I am uncomfortably bloated if I eat too much raw stuff. I had to make my salads for lunch at work a little smaller. Just a thought...
  • lilenz
    Options
    It definitely could be! I usually try to go gluten free, but I'm not really militant about it and probably end up eating gluten anyway. I'll definitely research gluten sensitivity and a gluten free diet plan. Thanks :)
  • lilenz
    Options
    I'd say I get a lot of fiber throughout the day. I eat a lot of apples and salads and eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day...but thank you! I'll also try to reduce my salad portions and see if it helps :)
  • yassy124
    yassy124 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me a few weeks ago. I gained a few lbs (I presume it was water weight now) and my stomach was consistently huge and bloated for abt 3 weeks. What fixed it for me was just eating very my calorie limit for 1-2 days and drinking much more water than usual for a few days. It actually happened by mistake (I overate for a day and felt guilty the next day so I drank a lot more water to stay full throughout the day) and, afterwards, I woke up with a much flatter stomach and 4 lbs lighter within the next few days. If you're a girl, it might also be normal bloating from your TOM and should regulate within a week or so. Good luck!
  • lilenz
    Options
    Oh, and sorry if my replies are basically all over the place. I'm pretty new to this website so I'm a spaz :P
  • lilenz
    Options
    Thanks so much!! I'll definitely try out drinking more water and yes, I am a girl and I did just have TOM about 5 days ago. So, I guess it could also be from that... Thanks so much for the advice :)