Cheating Daily, almost binge eating in a way

Options
2»

Replies

• weightliftingaddict
    Options
    You mentioned that you end up feeling so beat that you choose sleep instead of working out. Being food plays a major role in how we feel, I'd say it's what you are eating that makes you feel like that. Change up your food and you will have a different outcome.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I reallllly like to gorge in the evenings. A way to allow myself to eat a lot after work is to really trim down my breakfast and lunch. I essentially save most of my calories for the end of the day.
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are facing. I am a perfect example of doing all the right things until everyone goes to bed...then it starts...cookies cake bread butter ice cream EVERYTHING.... I am a binge eater. I face it every day. So...now I walk around outside go to the 24 hr gym..read a book.......I even downloaded some relaxing hypnosis programs on my phone. You are not alone.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Get up early and exercise before you begin your day.

Don'y keep beer, chips, salsa, candy bars, etc in the house. If you have to go to the store to get them when a craving hits, you are much more likely to suppress the urge.

Pre-prepare meals and snacks in little Tupperwares and keep them on hand wherever you are. It's easier to say no to junk when you've got a perfectly good snack sitting in the fridge.

It takes time to get accustomed to the new lifestyle of healthy eating. You''ll screw up. I know I still do. The important thing is to move on as quickly as possible, and not let one slip-up ruin your day, or one bad day ruin your week. Just keep trying, and eventually the "good" days will outweigh the "bad" days and you'll see progress.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Another thing: I pre-log a special treat or desser to have at the end of every day. Be it popcorn, or chocolate-covered raisins, or ice cream or Oreos, I log a serving, then plan the rest of my day around it. By the time I get to the end of the day, I have a delicious, guilt-free (because I worked it into my calorie limit) treat that serves as a "reward" for sticking to my pre-planned diary all day. Works like magic!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I like to eat in the evenings also. Try peanut butter on rice cake or a protein shake, hard boiled eggs. Get rid of the 90 cal soda, get rid of the chips unless it is a small bag. String cheese Is good, tuna, some meat or cheese. Choose to eat healthy and something that will keep you full like protein. Log your calories. You can do this. It is hard work and you have to be willing. Get a plan ahead of time. try some gum. 80% food, only 20% exercise so if you are tired go to sleep but no excuses not to eat right. Popcorn is filling, sugar free jello.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can suggest is to just work those things into your day. If you know you're going to have chips and salsa when you get home from work, work them into your calorie goal.

I looked at your diary, and I noticed you have a 1200 calorie goal. That's awfully low. Is there a reason you have such an aggressive goal? Perhaps being at a more moderate deficit would be more beneficial to you. In essence, because you are being too restrictive and aggressive with your calorie goal, your body is rebelling. It's telling you to eat more, when in fact, you should be listening to it and eating more. Also, when you exercise, you should be eating at least half of those calories back. You need to fuel your body properly for the extra work you're giving it.

This is kind of what I was thinking as well.

I noticed for awhile last winter when I was eating at around 1270-1300 calories I had pretty intense cravings every day, was "starving" when I came home from work in the evening, and would also have a hard time with moderation. That's not normal for me. I upped my calories back to ~1400 and the problem went away almost immediately.

Also, I have noticed by increasing my protein and overall calories consumed at lunch, I am far less hungry in the afternoon and before dinner. It is amazing to me how a 370 calorie lunch makes me feel full/satisfied but then leaves me very cranky with cravings at 4-5 pm but a 430 calorie lunch leaves me feeling great 'til 6 or later.

Try out some different things, OP.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your answers!! They are excellent advice! Thank you so much. I will defiantly put most of these to use!
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Everyone has left really great advice! I only have a few things to contribute...

1) Try the TDEE method! Just plug your numbers in here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. I like this method because it gives you a reasonable, doable goal that's really personalized to you. But it is important that you're honest with yourself about how active you are. Estimate lower than you think and reevaluate progress after 6-8 weeks. Also, you do not eat back exercise calories with this method because they are already accounted for in the formula.

2) Willpower is a finite resource. The more you deny yourself early in the day, the less you'll be able to motivate yourself to do later in the day. Don't sweat the small battles at work if it's going to make the evenings more difficult for you!

3) Kid-friendly exercise! Your kiddo's old enough that she can easily join a gymnastics class, giving you time to work out at the YMCA if that's available in your area. Or, you two could do Zumba or other dance-based exercise together at home. Or, simply go to the park together to play! Great exercise running to spin the merry-go-round, pushing a kid on the swings, running after her for a game of tag, etc.

4) Try switching to sugar free creamer... 15 calories/TBSP instead of 30 :)
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Use the beer in moderation. Most beer is high in calories and carbs. When you drink it your body views it as poison so it will process the alcohol first storing the rest of the calories and carbs for later slowing down your metabolism. So if you do drink a beer make any necessary adjustments
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but I went back in your diary for a few weeks and close to half the time you aren't logging. You won't know how many calories you are getting if you don't log.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    Everything moderation!

I plan on having a little fried chicken tonight because my diet is almost starvation mode (180 pound male with ~800 calories a day). I plan on eating around ~1,200 today. Is it unhealthy? Yes. I told myself I can have a little chicken if I eat a lot of vegetables with it.

However for me, it's sustainable. I know I can't just eat vegetables all day every day. I'll go crazy. I love vegetables to death, but whoever can quit all junk food and bad vices and switch to something like broccoli 24/7.. my hats off to you. You have the willpower of a monk.

For people like me, I just do my best to realize a vice, indulge a little and modify my plans.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    One strategy I've used to stop post-work overeating (because like you I seem to have much better control at work) is to eat a big healthy afternoon snack (It's 4:15pm here and I just ate half a serving of protein, a whole tomato, a handfull of snow peas and two carrots). I now feel stuffed for very little calories and find that I am much less likely to want to nibble if I am fairly full when I get home

ETA: Not under-eating during the day (or more generally) will also help. I have found a personal correlation between a more restrictive diet and the desire to binge. Try a less agressive calorie deficit and see whether your desire to binge diminishes