Base Meals - Fitness / Bodybuilders

cyfairslam
cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
This may be a dumb question and difficult to explain.

During my lifetime, I have tended to have meals that were easy to make or just plain convenient that I would eat a number of times during the week. On summer jobs I would pack a lunch of a ham or baloney sandwich or two with some chips, fruit, candy bar and eat it maybe 4 times a week. I college I might eat fast food of hamburges and french fries, pizza or if really on a budget macaroni and cheese. Again, I might have one or a combination 4 plus times a week. For young folks I would define these as base meals.

In my limited time around competitive fitness people and body builders they always seem to pack some unique lunches. I think I have seen some that were chicken and rice, some type of chili and avacado you get the picture.

Since I don't mind eating the same thing a number of times a week, I would like to see what some of the competitive fitness folks /trainers eat as their base meals. I am guessing it would probably be easy to make and I am hoping it would have a least a somewhat pleasing taste. I am just trying to expand my foods and develop some good habits.

Thanks

Replies

• REAL food.... and be creative with it! :-D I would not say I am a fitness guru, i train regularly and have lost 65 pounds.... but I have a very wide food pallet and love all kinds of healthy foods. I get recipes from eatingwell.com and many cookbooks... challenge myself to new things each week (or i used to till it became second nature) My biggest tip is, the fresher the better and you can have fun and mix it up. I LOVE food and my meals never get boring haha I am one of those people that hacve 6 or 7 items with my lunch and it is well under 500 calories. :-D Fresh, real food is key! My diary has a password but if you are interested.... friend me and I will give you acces. :-D Have fun with food. It helps! best of luck!
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    I am in the gym 6 days a week...cardio each day and lifting weight, etc. every other day....I regularly go to Sam's Club or Costco and get their large packages of Tilapia from the fresh meat/seafood area as well as boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders. Then I fire up the charcoal grill on a Sunday and cook it all. I also have a FoodSaver and package the fish and chicken into single serve portions. THey can thaw in the fridge all day and then I warm them up at night with some fresh, steamed veggies and then fix a small salad...easy peasy!

For lunch you could make quinoa and have that with a chicken breast--if you have access to a microwave, if not you could still eat it cold. You could also make a nice salad and put the sliced up chicken breast on top for a healthy, low cal lunch!

And I'm like you...I don't mind eating the same thing for 4 days straight..looks like day 5 with the chicken breast
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    I started reading some of the other threads and it appears many use wraps as their base meals for at least lunch. (Wrap, lettuce, chicken or turkey, salsa or dressing as a base)

I have done that some but used an unhealthier tortillia instead of a healthy wrap.

Thanks
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    My base foods are: chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, salads (cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, etc.), zucchini, spinach, tuna, garlic, olive oil, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, goat cheese and pretty much all fruits. I make many different meals out of these things. I look for high protein and fiberous foods, though I haven't eaten grains in 3 months ("modified" Paleo because I am involved with Crossfit). I am never bored and crave these types of foods.
This discussion has been closed.