What we tell ourselves to keep going

Options
Gym class tonight - boy was it hard! Well, it probably wasn't but I really struggled tonight as I'm really tired. I so wanted to give up and I nearly did. The only thing that kept me from quitting was know how disappointed I would be in myself if I did. It was by no means my best performance, but I made it to the end and I'm proud of that. I also know if I quit, it be even easier to quit next time.

How do you keep going at those times when you really don't want to

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Good question.

I had the worst run of my life last week and it was epic. Since it sucked so bad I decided to make it a benchmark to compare other not so great runs to.

In general, when I notice I feel off, I try to lower the expectations from moderate/good to "just finish no matter what". It is still better than no exercise at all; a kind and healthy perspective helps.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't find getting off my *kitten* and doing the exercise as difficult as preventing myself from putting food in my mouth.

I'm quite relaxed about losing weight slowly and I don't count my exercise calories exactly, but I do often have to remind myself that 3 hours of my work outs that week equate to the plate of chips I want.

What also keeps me going is reminding myself how peed off I was that such and such a dress I tried on in the shop last month didn't fit or wasn't flattering. Doesn't always work, but when I drift towards the biscuit tin I try to think about it.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Some days you just have to give yourself credit for getting yourself to the gym and move on. Many people wouldn't have made the effort if they were dragging -- you did so that's a win.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't ever want to go back to having all the aches and pains and unhealthy stuff (high blood pressure, heart problems, etc), and I'll never regret pushing myself to it and through it.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    How do you keep going at those times when you really don't want to

Knowing that I will obsess over the fact that I gave up. I will be on my mind for the rest of the day. When I push through, especially when I didn't want to, I always feel proud afterwards.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    During a workout, I tell myself it's only 30 seconds (or 1 minute or 5 minutes, or however much longer) and that usually motivates me to get through it. Also, seeing people kick butt motivates me to want to keep going.

On the days that I don't feel like working out, or just plain want to give up, I think of how far I've come, that the time is going to pass anyway, so I might as well make the most of it.

Awesome job for doing it though!
  • mikebrown909
    Options
    I'm active duty military, and as the weeks get long from getting up at 0530 every morning to work out, sometimes you just need to push the picture of you completing your goals. at least that is what helps keep me going day in and day out. I have a Spartan Race i want to do next June. But not only do want too complete it i want to crush that run. That's the picture i have to push too the front of my mind when i hear the alarm clock going off.

Also Looking for some friends to help keep me going strong!