Owies

Options
Let me start this by stating emphatically that there is no bragging in this thread. If anything, those posting here should probably be looked upon as somewhat remedial. Injuries happen when you work out. Sadly, there is a certain type of person that sort of soldiers on, keeps on going, one more day, when it would really be smart to take a day or week off. These people are idiots. And unfortunately, as I sit here, icing my quad for the 4th day in the the last week, I realize that I am one of those people. It's moronic. It really is. I'm not getting paid to do this to myself. I know... logically I KNOW... that allowing injuries to heal will increase the effectiveness of my workouts in the long run. And yet.. and yet.... I know I'm not the only one either. I know my gimpy brothers and sisters are out there, wincing through warm ups. Confess it here. What are you ignoring? For me, it is....

Left quad strain. Much deeper than I originally thought. Deads today may have been a bad idea.
Right Shoulder Impingement. If you know what it is you know it's not getting better any time soon.
Left Forearm. I've had a strain there since February. It's actually slowly getting better. Just in in the last month or so I've actually been able to do a curl.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ouch! You have my sympathy. I too am a push-on person, with the result that I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow for a potential Medial Meniscus Tear in my left knee but I'm still going to 2 hours of taekwondo tonight. I only skipped yoga yesterday because the hubster said I'd be in trouble if I didn't. It's been hurting for about a month, getting worse, but I only let myself be chivvied into a doctor appointment for a referral on Monday.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Head to toe? We ain't got time for dat. I won't bother anyone with the list. Let's just say I must like pain. I mean really truly enjoy it? Why else would a person pack half their cooler for a hike with gel cold packs fully knowing they were going to be needed just for the ride home? (And they were needed!) And I laughed about it, because, well, I love it. I am pushing through and toughing it out and telling my body it isn't the boss of me. And my body smacks me down and says, "Oh ya?" We have a friendly little competition, my body and I. I am so going to win the war.:drinker:
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My owies, left shoulder, neck, trap area.....has hurt off and on for over a year....and will forever I'm sure.

Your owies, - Saint, we all know why your forearm hurts :noway:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

ABiiL02.gif
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

ABiiL02.gif

:bigsmile:
  • Jersey_GirlSpins
    Jersey_GirlSpins Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've had sciatica for over 2 years. It comes and it goes. Lately it's been coming more than going. Yesterday the pain was off the charts and I actually took a day off. But today I went to the gym because right now the gym is like my own personal therapist. I worked out before I went to see my doctor because I was afraid she would tell me I couldn't go to the gym. Luckily, I can work out...for now.

So I'm going to keep going...I know I should rest more. But my mental health trumps all right now.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My knees are hurting all the time now, my left shoulder dosent show up sometimes when im doing presses, my thumb joint is so arthritic , along with most of my fingers, i have to wrap it so tight then use gloves for all my lifting . I messed my sacroiliac joint up so bad last year i actually couldnt stand upright to cut hair and cried at work. My biggest fear is really getting messed up and being sidelined and losing everything i worked for. Im at that age where its now or never, no time to stop, pause or heal but im finally seeing how much its hurting my progress and am really trying to cut back and workout smarter not harder.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Overuse strain on my peroneal muscle/tendon, tried to just give it a week off of running. Ran one time after not properly rolling and stretching the muscle, have now had to stop running for nearly a month waiting for it to heal properly this time. The last run I made it less than three miles and spent the next week limping for at least 20 minutes every time I sat in one place for too long of a period.

Also, left forearm down to fingers randomly gets tingly and has been doing this for at least a couple months. I'm sure it's pinched nerve somewhere in my shoulder or arm from muscles that are completely knotted up and never get properly worked out, but I'm just going to keep ignoring it. I stretch and use the lacrosse ball on everything, but that only does so much.

For those who mentioned sciatica, these stretches in the two links below combined with deadlifts, squats and foam rolling and lacrosse ball work have done wonders for keeping my sciatica in check. Last summer it was so bad I couldn't get out of bed at night without spending 5 minutes trying to release the pain and then still crying all the way to the bathroom and back because it hurt so much. This year, I only regret it when I DON'T keep up with my routine, including the rare week I'm lazy and don't do my regular strength work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

Bonus, second stretch is also awesome for working hip mobility for squats.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Whenever I read you calling people idiots for not taking enough rest days, I instantly thought to myself, "but Saint doesn't take enough rest days...". I'm really glad that you know you're sometimes idiotic without having me point it out to you. :heart: