Robin Williams

Options
This is more Chit-Chat than fun:

Robin Williams suicide has hit me very hard because I too suffer from
depression. I can't believe that a comedian that has made me laugh for
35 years suffered from sever depression.

But I do understand.

Back in 2010 I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was told by my
doctor that he was surprised I was still alive. It devastated my wife
and me. Unbeknownst to me and my wife I slipped into a deep depression
for four years.

My wife recognized my depression and mentioned it to
me. I have since got off my *kitten* and have taken control of my life.
I have lost 54 lbs and feel better than I have in many years. I no
longer walk with a cane and am going to join the YMCA to start
swimming and working out again.

Please do not message me that you That you're sorry for my condition. I am not here for a pity party. I am
saying; pay attention to your family and friends and do not be afraid
to talk to them if you feel something is wrong.

Replies

• d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "Mork and Mindy" was my favorite comedy series or I can say the first comedy series that I watch & love.
    It it so ironic that the funny guy died of depression.

Laughing doesn't mean that you are happy.
  • alison067
    alison067 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just woke up to your positive thread. Too often we are so caught up in ourselves we don't really see the people we care about or take the time to see that all may not be well. Continued success with your health issues my friend :)
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I, too, battle with depression. Thank you for posting this.

Thanks for keeping it REAL.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mr. Robin Williams death upset me a lot too. Many years ago a very funny and famous tv comedian in the UK also died under the same circumstances and he was much younger, everyone was totally shocked. I think maybe people who make it their life's work to give us all so much pleasure and a chance to laugh at our own frailties can also see the other side of the coin very deeply and the other side hits when they are alone with their thoughts. Oh, what do I know, life is a learning experience isn't it? Your wife sounds to be a lovely lady, and I wish you both continued success.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mr. Robin Williams death upset me a lot too. Many years ago a very funny and famous tv comedian in the UK also died under the same circumstances, Tony Hancock,and he was much younger, everyone was totally shocked. I think maybe people who make it their life's work to give us all so much pleasure and a chance to laugh at our own frailties can also see the other side of the coin very deeply and the other side hits when they are alone with their thoughts. Oh, what do I know, life is a learning experience isn't it? Your wife sounds to be a lovely lady, and I wish you both continued success.
    Just been looking at BBC news and under features and analysis I found "Robin Williams and the link between comedy and depression". A study was done on comedians from the USA, the UK and Australia apparently. Interesting reading anyway if you are interested.
  • kmradley
    kmradley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am bummed out about it. I've suffered from depression off and on. I try not to take it too seriously and if I need counseling I get it but I don't wanna take drugs.
    But anyway, I didn't find out about his death until the day after because I work nights and I was sleeping on Monday. I woke up and was saddened, but didn't take it too hard until I was talking to another friend of mine who also suffers from depression and he said he was taking it pretty hard, that he looked up to Robin Williams and all that. Seeing his pain made me want to be stronger.

And now I'm just feeling kind of blue, like I don't want to do anything. So I'm just lying here with my laptop thinking about hamburgers and how much I want one.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Christullos - Kudos to your wife for speaking to you and kudos to you for having taken hold of your health.
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    He was a good man, still is, imho.

Depression is a sickness of the mind, it's something that can sneak up on you and you can't do much about it from the inside. It takes a proverbial slap in the face to wake us out of it at times. I have had to deal with depression myself, and even the suicide of a friend.

It seems stupid now, but I had a thought about Mr, Williams that monday. I had wondered what he was up too and how he was doing. It's not like I know the man personally, mind you, just this random thought. I wish I would have been in a position to call him or something...idk.

All I can say now is, "Genie, you're free..." May God wrap his loving arms around you, and your surviving family.