...any scientifically minded types

Options

Replies

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    In biology I studied evolution, anatomy and physiology, cells and genes, and sexuality.

I studied marine biology and got a minor in chemistry and found out after graduation that I'd more likely find a unicorn than a job as a marine biologist.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a marine biologist. Then a primatologist like Jane Goodall. Then a doctor. But, I always did dance and theater and wanted to do that. And play the violin (I don't play that anymore).

I was seven when I chose my career choice but for fun I was also a dancer and an artist. I kept painting and drawing all my life and still do when I can.
    Wild :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    In biology I studied evolution, anatomy and physiology, cells and genes, and sexuality.

I studied marine biology and got a minor in chemistry and found out after graduation that I'd more likely find a unicorn than a job as a marine biologist.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a marine biologist. Then a primatologist like Jane Goodall. Then a doctor. But, I always did dance and theater and wanted to do that. And play the violin (I don't play that anymore).

I was seven when I chose my career choice but for fun I was also a dancer and an artist. I kept painting and drawing all my life and still do when I can.
    Wild :)

Wow!

Oh, I was also into visual arts and The National Art Honors Society. My husband is also good with visual art: drawing, painting, sculpture, giant puppets.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Oh, I was also into visual arts and The National Art Honors Society. My husband is also good with visual art: drawing, painting, sculpture, giant puppets.

I think the two must go hand in hand. :happy:
    If I could, I'd be a scientific illustrator- for fun... but there isn't much need for that anymore.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I think the two must go hand in hand. :happy:
    If I could, I'd be a scientific illustrator- for fun... but there isn't much need for that anymore.

Yeah, I agree.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Dude, I can't even finger paint. Unless you count my sad attempt at nail polish....no. Now if you wanted someone who could:
    1) Quip along with any line from the last 3 Doctor Who series and
    2) Reads Oliver Sacks' Twitter feed and pre-orders all his books because the man is amazing AND
    3) Might have only yesterday accurately explained to her husband the entire life cycle of the ant colony currently invading our living room (and making our life....interesting) to my husband without having to crack a book?
    Meh, I could be considered science-y-ish.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a science geek and also do fairly well at math. I work in retail and handle money all day. I was working toward a degree in accounting and computer science, but had to drop out of school for health reasons. I did a work study job as a tour guide at a natural history museum and fossil site while I was still in school. I'm working to get myself back on track.

My wife works as an environmental geologist. One of my best friends is a petroleum geologist. Two of my other best friends are biology professors. I spend most of my free time watching sci-fi and documentaries, or reading about science, technology, and history. I enjoy learning new things. I love games and puzzles like Sudoku, Fill-It-Ins, Cryptograms, Solitaire, etc. I also love places like libraries, museums, and parks. I spend a lot of time contemplating topics like religion and philosophy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    180px-sbemail98.png
    Science again! I said science again!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Speaking of finding unicorns..... I'd love to get in a time machine and do Jane Goodall style studies on Ardipithecus ramidus, various Australopithecines and Homo erectus, plus field studies similar to how they study modern hunter-gatherers on Homo heidelbergensis, Homo neanderthalensis, whatever Homo erectus evolved into in Asia and also middle palaeolithic Homo sapiens.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a prominent force in the area of homeopathy, the most scientifically accurate practice of all areas of science. You may wonder why such an obviously awesome and important person would put themselves forward to be friends with someone who isn't a practitioner of the only true science, but today is your lucky day. Out of literally 100s of patients I have dealt with, some have survived and that includes from such life threatening ailments as bee stings and rashes.

Failing that I actually have a Master's in Mathematics and am always interested in scientific discussions with any real merit - feel free to add me :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have a telescope that I peer through occasionally, and I like to apply the brain to solving manufacturing engineering problems and sensing problems. I don't climb, but I like to throw people around twice a week at Aikido. As for the rest, I can make that up as we go along if you want!!
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    At the age of eight, I made a red laser using a couple of batteries, some magnifying glasses, some wires and a ruby rod. Oh that was back in 1962............ They are pretty much called laser pointers now.
  • SparrowGal2014
    SparrowGal2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does a food scientist count? I'm also a Disney geek, not like lanyard wearing at the park, I carry a Dooney purse-but that certainly shows an inclination towards engineering...and food tasting...Physics (Rockin' Roller Coaster). Yes definitely a science-y geek!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I desperately wanted to be a Marine Biologist. Then I was a Math Ed. major, then I changed to Microbiology and got my BS. Then I went on to do another year to get my certificate in Clinical Laboratory Science... so I guess you could say I'm a science nerd - and proud of it :)
  • lice714
    lice714 Posts: 8
    Options
    Does George Costanza have any place in here with all you marine biologists?
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I have a telescope that I peer through occasionally...

And this is why your neighbours have such heavy curtains.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Dude, I can't even finger paint. Unless you count my sad attempt at nail polish....no. Now if you wanted someone who could:
    1) Quip along with any line from the last 3 Doctor Who series and
    2) Reads Oliver Sacks' Twitter feed and pre-orders all his books because the man is amazing AND
    3) Might have only yesterday accurately explained to her husband the entire life cycle of the ant colony currently invading our living room (and making our life....interesting) to my husband without having to crack a book?
    Meh, I could be considered science-y-ish.

True confession: I failed Art class in 7th grade. Failed it. I always say that I cannot even draw stick people.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nursing student... does that count?
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely into math/science. I'm a teacher and those are two of my favourtie subjects to teach. Feel free to add me. :)
  • valkyriesinger
    valkyriesinger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my degree in Mechanical Engineering, with a minor in physics!
  • huggybear1969
    Options
    Was a physics major in college...does that count? If so, add me!