Getting healthy with my family

iftcheiaf
iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
So, in January I joined the gym. Started off slow, but now going 5-6 days out of seven. I wanted to exercise with my husband and since he isn't an aerobics class kind of guy (although he is trying some of the classes), I started jogging on the treadmill to get my endurance up. Reading all your posts is what made me think I might be able to do it. He told me it's not the same as jogging outside, so I started jogging outside. He hadn't been able to exercise, so I was doing this by myself and finding...could it be so...i actually like it. I can't just jog straight through. I do 3 minutes jogging, 1 minute walking. Well, my almost 8 year old daughter said she wanted to go. I thought, okay, we'll give it a try. We'll do 2 and 2. So this morning we went and she did GREAT!!! And it was fun. We jogged, then talked for the two minutes, and eventually she got up to the 3 and 1. Got home and my 6 year old boy said, "Okay, my turn". So out I went again. We started with 1 and 3, worked our way up to 2 and 2, and the last stent, he went 3 and 1 ...and kept telling me he was loving it and when could we do it again.

I think it's the most fun I've had with them in a long time. And it was relaxing. No competition. Good talks, good times. And good example. And now, my husband is going to go jogging with me this afternoon when the kids are away. So in one day, I will have gotten in some great exercise and some wonderful quality time with my family.

I wanted to share this and say THANK YOU to everyone for your great stories and posts. It has been very encouraging and I have definitely tried new things and gotten a lot healthier since joining in May. You guys are awesome. Have a great Sunday! :heart:

Replies

• iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    So, in January I joined the gym. Started off slow, but now going 5-6 days out of seven. I wanted to exercise with my husband and since he isn't an aerobics class kind of guy (although he is trying some of the classes), I started jogging on the treadmill to get my endurance up. Reading all your posts is what made me think I might be able to do it. He told me it's not the same as jogging outside, so I started jogging outside. He hadn't been able to exercise, so I was doing this by myself and finding...could it be so...i actually like it. I can't just jog straight through. I do 3 minutes jogging, 1 minute walking. Well, my almost 8 year old daughter said she wanted to go. I thought, okay, we'll give it a try. We'll do 2 and 2. So this morning we went and she did GREAT!!! And it was fun. We jogged, then talked for the two minutes, and eventually she got up to the 3 and 1. Got home and my 6 year old boy said, "Okay, my turn". So out I went again. We started with 1 and 3, worked our way up to 2 and 2, and the last stent, he went 3 and 1 ...and kept telling me he was loving it and when could we do it again.

I think it's the most fun I've had with them in a long time. And it was relaxing. No competition. Good talks, good times. And good example. And now, my husband is going to go jogging with me this afternoon when the kids are away. So in one day, I will have gotten in some great exercise and some wonderful quality time with my family.

I wanted to share this and say THANK YOU to everyone for your great stories and posts. It has been very encouraging and I have definitely tried new things and gotten a lot healthier since joining in May. You guys are awesome. Have a great Sunday! :heart:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    That is awesome!
    What a great family outing.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Oh goodness. All that kept running through my head while I reading this post was think of the grocery bill! That's a lot of exercise calories earned just by one person, let alone four! :laugh:

Seriously though, I think it's great the the whole family got involved. I wonder if I could get my 8yr. old son to try that with me. Never thought about that before. Hmmm...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!