Large Calorie Deficit

Options
First, I don't track my calories and exercises. I just gauge it in my head to eat sensibly and workout hard just about every day. 2 or 3 days per week I only eat maybe 600-800 calories and I still work out. I am seeing no direct side affects of this except losing weight. I have no loss of energy at all and I continue to improve on my weight training. Once I hit my goal, I will stop starving myself. Anyone see any issues with this method?

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a joke.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You don't take issue with the fact that you're starving yourself and are AWARE of that fact (based on your post)?

• lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you don't track calories, how do you know you're just eating 600-800 calories per day?
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you don't track calories, how do you know you're just eating 600-800 calories per day?

I don't track them and log them religiously. Only on my fast days do I add them up in my head and I have just been doing this for the last couple weeks. A month ago I had no idea how many calories I consumed in a day.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    You don't take issue with the fact that you're starving yourself and are AWARE of that fact (based on your post)?

I see it as a mini fast for two days/week. Usually Monday and Tuesday as I weigh in on Wednesday morning and have quite a few cheats over the weekend.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 285 and only eating 700 calories a day - every day. I track every nutrient I eat because at such a small amount of food, I need to be efficient.

Your body is a very complex computer / machine. It takes about 3 months for it to believe that anything you are doing is somewhat lasting and years for it not to reset to its last long-term baseline.

I think that starving yourself is very very different than a low calorie diet. A low calorie diet is consistent and is very much dependent on the person. My metabolism has always been slow and I am not having as much trouble with my low calories as my wife who literally weighs half as much as me. She eats more in a single meal than I eat in a day under my diet.

If you were going to live the rest of your life eating some days and fasting others, your body would adapt. But if you don't, you might find that when you go back to eating "normal", your body increases its weight a lot faster than you'd imagine.

I'd give your body consistent calories, and when you do hit your goal weight - be very very careful ramping up to a "normal" caloric intake. Your body may just see this as a "bad harvest" and will think that it needs to store weight later to prepare for the next.
  • blaise190
    Options
    First, I don't track my calories and exercises. I just gauge it in my head to eat sensibly and workout hard just about every day. 2 or 3 days per week I only eat maybe 600-800 calories and I still work out. I am seeing no direct side affects of this except losing weight. I have no loss of energy at all and I continue to improve on my weight training. Once I hit my goal, I will stop starving myself. Anyone see any issues with this method?

I am 136 lbs and 5,6 ft. I eat 800 calories a day and exercise 5 days a week - high intensity interval training for an hour.

Now a lot of people say that my diet is too low however I am only using this diet as a temporary measure to get down to my goal weight of 119 lbs. My usual diet consists of clean eating 1400 Kcals a day and daily exercise which is easy to maintain plus I allow a weekly cheat day.

I don't think low calorie diets are bad but I do think they should be a short term method. Also you need to make sure you slowly up the calorie intake once you finish the diet or else you may gain weight.

My only advice to you would be making sure you track your calories. Take it from someone who has been a fitness fanatic for a long time! if you don't track them you have NO way of knowing what your eating. Take yesterday for example, I ate two pieces of fruit for breakfast, a bowl of special k with skimmed milk for lunch and a tiny piece of salmon and some broccoli for dinner. No snacks at all and drank 2 litres of water. Even this came up to 796 kcals.

What does your typical day look like?