What BMI are you heading for?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
Or don't you care? I know some people discount BMI as a measure

I was happy with how I looked with a BMI of 26.2 (my weight used to be stuck there before children). Now I am aiming to get there and then reassess how I look

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    BMI is a decent indicator for most people especially those who haven't done a lot of muscle building. It's worthless for me personally though. I am overweight according to BMI. Pisses me off every year when I go to my employee health screening and I lose a point due to being "overweight". Last year I went so far as to lift my shirt up and politely ask where they thought I should lose the extra weight from. You can put some stock in to BMI but it's not the end all be all indicator of heath.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    BMI is a decent indicator for most people especially those who haven't done a lot of muscle building. It's worthless for me personally though. I am overweight according to BMI. Pisses me off every year when I go to my employee health screening and I lose a point due to being "overweight". Last year I went so far as to lift my shirt up and politely ask where they thought I should lose the extra weight from. You can put some stock in to BMI but it's not the end all be all indicator of heath.

^^^^^^ THIS.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I've learned to not really care about any number, be it scale weight, bf%, or BMI. the only thing they are really good for is measuring yourself against others and tracking progress, but thats about it

what i strive for is to look better and gain endurance and strength
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    24 or less
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Last year I went so far as to lift my shirt up and politely ask where they thought I should lose the extra weight from.

Heheh, what did they say?

(You look great by the way)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    my mirror is my BMI...nothing more.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle at my BMI. "Slightly obese." The BMI is not a very accurate metric.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    AT 10% BF, I will have a BMI of 25.1 "overweight" if I continue to maintain my current lean body mass.

It's useless as a measure of anything. The only reason people even continue to talk about it is because it's easier for a doctor to look at a chart and pass a diagnosis in 10 seconds than it is to actually measure a body fat percentage which would *actually* be more accurate. Who cares if it's not the *correct* diagnosis? Next patient, please!!

It's nonsense on stilts, and it's not scientific in any way, shape or form. It's like trying to determine IQ by measuring skull circumference.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just want to be in the range they have for my height (5'1). Preferably the higher range, as I cannot see myself (nor do I want to see myself) at 100 pounds.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Anything in the healthy/normal BMI range... preferably low 20s.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    20.5 but that is based on the weight I want to get to. :)
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    24.9 is what I'm aiming for right now. 6ish lbs away. Will be the first time I was a 'healthy' weight, going by BMI (which I honestly don't put too much stock in - because when I was still technically 'obese' back at 175lbs, I still felt amazing and was healthy, especially compared to when I was actually obese at 215lbs), since I was about 8 years old. My 1st goal weight will put me at 24.0, my ultimate goal at 22.3.
  • thatgirl_sarah
    thatgirl_sarah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you. BMI measures overall weight it doesn't factor in muscle mass (which everyone knows the more muscles you get the higher your weight goes). Focusing on reducing body fat is far more important than worrying about bring down the number on the scale. In my opinion.

64473252.png
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for pretty much slap-bang in the middle of "healthy" (21.5), but that's just until I reach my weight loss milestone. When I move onto improving fitness, strength and blood pressure/cholesterol I'll ignore it.

I know it has limited applicability for the active and fit, but it's been a useful metric for me while losing weight. It neatly segments weight loss into nice easy groupings.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 20 until I start weight training. Then I want to put back on 3 - 6 pounds of muscle.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    BMI is wonderful for people in denial. If someone doesn't realize how fat or skinny they are, the BMI is there to tell them.

I don't really care about the BMI when I'm done. I loved moving out of OBESE and into OVERWEIGHT. Nobody was ever so happy to become overweight, let me tell you! Did a dance of joy.

Looking forward to entering Normal. It's not far off.

But the actual number, when I'm done? I don't care.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Or don't you care? I know some people discount BMI as a measure

I was happy with how I looked with a BMI of 26.2 (my weight used to be stuck there before children). Now I am aiming to get there and then reassess how I look

Now, we should totally have a discussion about why you're looking at such a terrible metric such as bmi.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    When I was at my physical peak 10 years ago (around age 30), my BMI was well into the "overweight" category because I had so much lean mass.

Now my BMI is "normal" and I'm trying to get back to a *lean* BMI of >25. The only thing that sucks about it is that as soon as I hit a BMI of 25, my health insurance company will start sending me weight loss tips again. :-)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Right now my bmi is 21.4, but I would like to be under 21 if possible. I'll see how I look and feel at a lighter weight.
  • kelzz27
    kelzz27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to be under 25, maybe 22/23