$125 shopping budget

So, this weekend I'm starting a new grocery list on a smaller budget to see if it's feasible to pocket some savings every month.. I figured it would be kind of fun to see what other people would buy on this budget.

The only rules are that you estimate your costs realistically to stay under $125 total and buy enough food for 2 people to last 2 weeks.

Ready set go! :D

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Hmmm...that's not a terrible budget. Eggs, Rice, Frozen chicken breasts, Frozen fish, Lots of frozen veggies. Milk, Yogurt, Bread.

Honestly even with buying those things you'd probably have some left over. My family and I do 300 every 2 weeks and that's for me, my wife, and 2 kids.
  • megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    I spend about 100-125 a month on groceries for myself. Usually ends up something like this:

Protein:
    - Chicken (Whatever body part is on sale, usually each pack is about 2 meals)
    - Smelt (Generally 2.99 per pound, where a pound gets me ~3 meals)
    - Pork chops (Usually easy to find in the manager's specials, 2-3 meals per pack)
    - Eggs
    - Tuna (egg + tuna + stir fry veggies = delicious protein slop)
    - Steak/pot roast (once or twice a month)

Veggies:
    - Radishes or turnips
    - Bell peppers
    - Carrots
    - Frozen mix

Fruit:
    - Bananas
    - Apples

Grains:
    - Bread (whole wheat)
    - Noodles (from the Chinese market near me - $2 for 4 servings of rice/wheat/buckwheat/soba noodles? Sign me up)

Snacks:
    - Yogurt
    - Almond milk

Honestly it's not too hard to keep a low food budget if you don't mind eating a lot of the same things often once you find the best inexpensive meats or vegetables in your area. Of course it depends where you are.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    I was wrong earlier when I said that my family of 4 is 300 every 2 weeks. It's actually 350. If you were to break that down to 2 people though it would only be $175. So not a whole lot higher than your budget.

I've actually found the biggest thing that helps me budget is that I make a shopping list in excel and I have a column next to each item where I type the estimated price. I always overbudget so even though milk might be $2.50 I budget $3. By overbudgeting for the things that I know the price of it usually offsets for the things that I don't budget enough for. Then I always take the receipt when I get home and type the actual price I paid into another column right next to the estimated prices to see how I made out. Most of the time I do very well and have money left over. Once in awhile I go over budget for whatever reason and then I know I need to be a little cheaper on the next shopping trip to compensate.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    For one week, for the two of us I have been spending under $100. We are following a ketogenic diet which is more restrictive than most but here goes:

5 avocados $7
    bag of mixed spinach & kale 3
    bag of kale 3
    zucchini 3
    frozen broccoli 2
    frozen green beans 2
    eggs 4 (I buy cage free eggland's best brand)
    bacon 5-7 (depends on if there is a sale, I get no sugar, low sodium)
    almond milk 2 cartons 8
    grassfed butter 4
    chicken thigh or whole chicken 5-7
    ground meat of some kind 4-6
    beef, chicken or turkey bones for broth 3-4
    chicken hearts 3
    soda water 2 cases $10 (la Croix brand)
    fresh salmon 15-20 depending on everything else and what we have at home.
    nuts 5-7
    coconut oil 9
    I rarely buy all of this list. We are eating less due to eating more healthy fats and being full so our meals aren't as big and food lasts us longer now. I take stock of what we have at home, what I can buy & make for cheap that's nutrient dense, bone broth or kale chips for example. I make sure we have protein for lunch w/ greens, protein for dinner w/greens and enough snacks.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Honestly even with buying those things you'd probably have some left over. My family and I do 300 every 2 weeks and that's for me, my wife, and 2 kids.

That's right about the same for us. Me, wife, and 2 kids as well.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    That should be easy! I spend about $100 per month for 1 person.

I'd buy:
    fresh fruit and vegetables (in season)
    romain lettuce and spinach
    carrots and celery
    salad dressing
    hummus
    lean meats (chicken, turkey, steak) - I look for what items are on sale
    eggs
    butter
    coffee

Depending on how much money I had left - and what my tastes were for the week:
    Yogurt (greek)
    PB
    Sugar-free jam
    English muffins (or a bread to have the PB&J on)

I eat pretty simply. But $125 should be an ample healthy food budget for two.
  • BzNova
    BzNova Posts: 66 Member
    Shop the sales this week at your store, my store had a kick *kitten* sale on chicken breast this week. I planned most our meals around that, (still have stuff in the freezer from previous weeks also) only spent $60 this week, for 2 adults and a 4yo. This included fruits and veggies that were also on sale.

It helps to buy in bulk, when the item is on sale, youll spend a little more that week, but it stretches out for the rest of the month. You can google how to freeze almost anything, even milk.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    That's a good challenge. I'm going to see if I can do it when I shop this weekend. I've had to drastically reduce my shopping bill. When I was employed full time, I never took cost into account when I shopped. I just bought what I wanted. Now that I'm a poor college student on a fixed budget, The $4.99 cherub tomatoes in the cool plastic container are out. The $0.99 whole tomatoes are in. LOL.

Oh...and no more Whole Foods. That place will suck your bank account dry the minute you walk in.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Mind you, these are all MN prices off the sale sheet.

$8 - 10lb bag of leg quarters
    $8 - 4lbs ground beef
    $3 - 2 dozen eggs
    $8 - 2lbs sandwich meat
    $7 - 5 cans spag sauce
    ....... 5 cans diced tomatoes
    $9 - 10 bags frozen veggies
    $5 - bag potatoes
    $4 - bags carrots
    $4 - bags onions
    $4 - 2 heads lettuce
    $30 - ~20lbs other produce
    $2 - peanut butter
    $2 - jelly
    $2 - sandwich spread
    $8 - breads
    $2 - 8 boxes mac n cheese
    $8 - 12lbs other pasta
    $4 - tea
    $5 - coffee

Total - $123
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    In graduate school, I lived on a VERY low grocery budget. I pretty much lived on peanut butter, peanuts, coffee, milk, eggs, carrots and spinach. Don't forget about dried rice and beans and other grains. Super nutritious and economical. I'd skip any beverages other than coffee, tea, and minimal alcohol if you drink.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    My husband and I live on a budget of 200 a MONTH for us. It depends on where you live and the shops you go to. We buy mostly organic also and do most shopping at costco and trader joes. We love our carbs (great for weight loss, carbs don't make you fat!) and we get pasta, white rice sometimes basmati just depends on my mood, potatoes. I make my own bread using the 5 minute artisan technique (really stupidly simple anyone could do it).
    Protein can be eggs, peanut butter, beans (I eat organic canned black beans from costco), chicken etc.
    If purchasing meat try to buy cuts that are more intact meaning buy whole chicken, a full pork loin to cut into roasts and such. In the long run you'll save money. Also, frozen veggies are just freaking awesome =) The trick is to blanch them quickly and then stir fry or whatever.
    It's kinda difficult to give an item by item breakdown but you get the picture. So in short - buy in bulk, prepare your own foods and not from a packet, shop around. I have my staples I always buy at costco and I have my staples I always buy at trader joes and whole foods fills in the rest.
    I've made it a personal mission to not shop at walmart so it's totally do-able to be healthy on a small budget :) (not to disrespect anyone who shops at walmart... although you shouldn't give them your money because they're evil... but I worked there for 3 years and it was hell and my husband STILL works there and it's STILL hell)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Dried beans and lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs, bananas, rice, canned sardines, peanut butter, bread, cabbage, frozen veggies and fruits. Watermelon or Pineapple if they are on sale, Earth Balance margarine, and walnut or olive oil.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    In graduate school, I lived on a VERY low grocery budget. I pretty much lived on peanut butter, peanuts, coffee, milk, eggs, carrots and spinach. Don't forget about dried rice and beans and other grains. Super nutritious and economical. I'd skip any beverages other than coffee, tea, and minimal alcohol if you drink.

I lived on top ramen and canned green beans for 2 years in college lol.

We're milk and water drinkers, and occasionally iced tea, in my house so drinks aren't usually a problem (except that milk is $4.57 a gallon here right now lol)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    This can easily be done, I spend 150 a month on just myself. Sometimes less.

There are months I just stock up on meat if it is on sale, and some months I really stock up on dry goods, then the rest is spent on fresh foods.

I see you guys are iced tea drinkers, yum, me too! Do you brew your own tea? You can find tea bags on sale often and you will save a good amount of money brewing your own.

Shop sales, if pasta is a buck or under a box, buy 10. If chicken is on a good sale, buy extra and freeze. Jarred sauces won't go bad, stock up when it's a good deal. I probably have about 10 jars in my cabinet right now (and I have limited storage space, one bedroom apartment, I get creative with storage though) that I didn't spend more than 80 cents on each one. I am not a crazy coupon lady or anything like that, I just hit a good sale. I will even stock up on berries and bananas - freeze them if they will go bad before I eat them. Not as good as fresh, but great to throw on top of yogurt or pancakes or in a smoothie.

If you have a safeway near you, I really like their "Just For You" coupon program, so simple.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    My fiance and I get through with $50-65/week for both of us.

We grocery shop every week and I plan that weeks meals around what ever is on sale. A lot of regional grocery stores post there ads online, or it might be worth the convenience to grab the sunday newspaper) I also make what I can (like greek yogurt, for example). It usually breaks down with $30-50 spent at the regular grocery store (depending on protein sales and such. We'll still splurge on good, fresh cuts of steak and things like that) and then $20 at our farmer's market on more fresh veggies and fruits.

It seriously helps if someone in your household can cook and enjoys it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I usually spend about $220 for a whole month for 2 people so this should be doable without trying very hard.

And that's including buying toilet paper and stuff too.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member

We're milk and water drinkers, and occasionally iced tea, in my house so drinks aren't usually a problem (except that milk is $4.57 a gallon here right now lol)

idk about where you live, but i live in central america, and powdered milk is #1 here. if you can find powdered milk (and if you enjoy the taste), i totally recommend it. cheap as hell & it doesn't expire! not to mention you can vary the thickness based on taste/preference/calorie allotment.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Hmm ... I generally spend about $125 for a week for a family of 6 (including growing adolescent boys who eat like they are trying to fill a hollow leg :laugh:)

This week:
    fresh fruits and vegetables: apples, bananas, peaches that were $0.99/lb, 2 pound bag of carrots, 10 pounds of potatoes, etc
    Whole grain pasta (barilla was on sale for $1 each so I got 3)
    2 jars spaghetti sauce
    3 pounds ground beef
    2 loafs bread, plus hamburger buns
    2 boxes mac & cheese (generic brand)
    12 ramen
    lunchmeat
    2 lbs cheese
    3 gallons milk
    4 boxes cereal, plus on bag cereal (a sweeter kind for a treat), and 1 box instant oatmeal (mostly store brands)
    cottage cheese

I know I'm missing some things, but this can give you a general idea

Dinners are going to be:
    sloppy joes (home made, 1 lb ground beef, tomato soup, bbq sauce, the buns)
    spaghetti (we do 1 whole package pasta, 2 jars sauce, 1 lb ground beef, but you could make that 2 different meals by cooking less at a time)
    meatloaf (home made) with mac & cheese as a side
    Home made chicken soup (using a whole chicken in my freezer)
    egg scramble ... my daughter is doing this one, so I'm not sure what all goes into it yet, but eggs, veggies, cheese ...

We buy things that last well in larger amounts when they are on sale, so we didn't have to buy eggs this week, or canned soup (my husband's lunch), or the chicken. But we did have to buy both flour and sugar (we ran out of both ... we often do a lot of our own baking so don't buy cookies often) If you can get a good price on meat in bulk, you can separate it when you get home and freeze it, and it will last well. Also be willing to eat leftovers for a 2nd night's dinner, or for lunches. That can save a fair amount of money.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I don't know where you all live but I spend $150 a week and sometimes still have that "there's nothing in the house!" feeling!

I need to learn to shop like you guys do...
  • motofairy
    motofairy Posts: 33 Member
    I love this website: http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Some of the meals I can substitute healthier options if they're a little heavy, but it keeps me on budget.