Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    What is an "unhealthy breakfast"? :huh:

Krispy Kreme

That's a nasty breakfast. :sick:

I'm more of a Shipley's girl myself :love:

OP - I am very boring because I am not a morning person. Whole grain toast with peanut butter and decaff coffee. If your sugar level is not an issue, you don't really have to eat breakfast. Skip it if it's not you.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats (I cook a week's worth at a time and heat up each day), tofu scramble, quinoa (seasoned or sweet), breakfast tacos on corn tortillas (whatever you like in there), whole grain toast or rice or corn cakes w/ hummus, peanut butter, or whatever protein spread you like.

Neal Barnard's book "Program for Reversing Diabetes" has some great ideas appropriate for someone with diabetes. Good luck!
    I struggle w/ breakfast, too, because I don't like any sweet foods in the morning.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I do egg cups a lot

Line muffin tins with slice of ham/turkey to act as the cup. Put chopped onion & green pepper into cup. Add a dash of chilli powder and then add some spinach (and any other veggies you want). Crack 1 egg into basket, break yolk. Salt & Pepper & bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until egg is fully cooked.

I make a batch of these and take them to work for breakfast for a few days. I reheat in a microwave for about 30 seconds.
  • WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, eggs, greek yogurt. More protein than carbs. Oatmeal works well too, though the carbs go up. It's different from a donut. Work on fitting your macros during the day. Good tips above. Good luck on your journey.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    omelet with cheese and veggies. Greek yogurt with fresh berries and chia and/or flax seed.
  • eemurphee
    eemurphee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been eating eggs (scrambled, hard boiled or even fried with no cal cooking spray), turkey bacon, and a banana or a Thomas bagel thin with no fat cream cheese, etc. The bagel has 24 g carbs per 1 bagel thin. I usually do my workouts in the morning after breakfast so I don't crash and burn, but plan your carbs around your workouts!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do egg cups a lot

Line muffin tins with slice of ham/turkey to act as the cup. Put chopped onion & green pepper into cup. Add a dash of chilli powder and then add some spinach (and any other veggies you want). Crack 1 egg into basket, break yolk. Salt & Pepper & bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until egg is fully cooked.

I make a batch of these and take them to work for breakfast for a few days. I reheat in a microwave for about 30 seconds.

Great idea!
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    2 eggs + 1 big very ripe banana = pancakes!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to not lump foods into categories of good vs bad or healthy vs. unhealthy..... I have a set caloric intake with percentage of Macro's that I aim to hit everyday and I eat to achieve that goal with whatever food I choose to fill those calories with... I am Type 2 diabetic also... My breakfast can range from steak and eggs, if I am feeling hungry for it and have the time to grill it or cinnamon raisin muffins with natural crunchy peanut butter on them, etc, etc. I find it much easier to eat what I enjoy and fit it into my day regardless to whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner..... Best of Luck

QFT
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Like many others eggs are my go to breakfast item because they seem to keep me full. One of my favorites is half an english muffin, sliced deli meat like turkey, chicken or ham, cheese, a combo of baby spinach, mushrooms and onions sauteed, top that with an egg and enjoy. It's filling, gives me plenty of protein, just enough carbs and a serving of veggies not to mention the flavor is great.

The big thing here is finding what works for you, many people do eat dinner for breakfast, I mean what's wrong with steak and baked beans? Nothing so if that's what makes you happy and keeps you full then go ahead and have it no one says you have to eat eggs or cereal for breakfast. I mean if that's the case I'm going to he11 for eating yogurt pancakes topped with fruit for dinner because pancackes after all are "breakfast food".
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I throw into my blender some kale, spinach, a ripe banana, a few frozen berries, flax seed, a dash of fresh oj, parsley and a slice of pineapple. On the side, I gulp down 1 table spoon of natural peanut butter (oh how I love that stuff!)...

Easy and quick....
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, esp b/c I'm not supposed to be eating eggs. I just do a protein shake. It's a little lower in calories than I'd like so I add some chia seeds and make sure to have a mid morning snack planned out. . . other than that, I agree. Breakfast. UUUGGGHHHH.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    2 eggs + 1 big very ripe banana = pancakes!

SOme people use cottage cheese to add more protein too!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has tons of egg mug recipes. It is basically egg substitute and omelet ingredients made in the microwave in a coffee mug. You can use egg whites or whole eggs if you prefer. I like the California, Mexicali and Denver. All really good!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes

Here is my own creation:

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/spanish-omelet-in-mug.html
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    HUGE beefsteak tomato, cut in half, grilled, then just before its ready shave some tasty cheese (I use feta, but cheddar is good too) over the 2 halves and melt. Really tasty and satisfying.
  • herryking112
    Options
    During a busy morning, it's easy to let breakfast fall low in your list of priorities, but taking just a few minutes to have something to eat can really make a difference to your day. If you don't have time to eat before leaving the house, we have lots of breakfast ideas that can be eaten on-the-go or when you get to work.

fanaledrinks
  • revnevbwfc
    revnevbwfc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my go-to breakfast at the moment is a smoked mackerel strip with a poached egg and mug of tea! on a saturday, as a special treat, I add some baked beans and maybe a piece of toast. awesome! :-)
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie for breakfast, very simple -- 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of low-sugar yogurt.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My new breakfast obsession is overnight oats. I have seen tons of varieties of this. My favorite is 1/2 cup oats--normal rolled oats, not quick cook, not steel cut. put them in a tupperware or mason jar. Add 1/2 cup water-don't stir, just pour it over, then 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt--I like Wallaby brand or the Trader Joe's house brand--plain and non-fat. Don't stir. Put the top on and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning-stir and add whatever--I like 1/2 cup blueberries or raspberries. You can drizzle a little honey if it's too sour or add a tablespoon of flax or chia seeds if you want. Super easy--make it the night before--grab in the morning.
    I also like steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight--so creamy and delicious and a no-brainer in the morning. Stuff like quinoa or couscous or faro is good for a hot, multi-grain type thing too.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have Greek yoghurt (90g) with a mixture of nuts, seeds and toasted coconut (30g) comes out at less than 10g of carbs