Caloric Mental Block

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To address your original question- it's mental. Yes, you are experiencing physical reactions, but it's due to a mental thought- you are thinking about that 200 calorie deficit. Otherwise numerous other things can play into being more hungry- timing of your cycle, the weather, how much sleep you got the night before, the alignment of the sun moon and stars... really anything. Drink some water. Snack on something healthy, and move on. Focus on other things and I think you'll find the physical symptoms will alleviate themselves for the most part.

This. When I first started I'd get hungry at times I was used to snacking or when I was stressed, even when there was no reason to be hungry. I'd either snack on something low calorie (carrots or celery or radishes) or channel my thoughts of food into something else (if I was thinking about some kind of food I'd plan out how to make something that satisfied in a similar way with fewer calories).

Once I got used to the new way of eating it's like the mind accepted it and moved on and I stopped feeling hungry between meals.

I suspect if you just get through it like that it will go away.
  • ChristineMeg1
    Options
    My Fitness Pal will set a caloric goal for you, one that takes into account any activity you do. That may be more appropriate for your needs.

Also, I notice the same thing, anytime I set out to "diet" "eat healthier" "lose weight". Maybe part of it is just feeling deprived. When we consciously set out to lose weight, or eat healthier, it means maybe we are giving up those little unhealthy habits we are so used to.

For me, my unhealthy habits were eating whenever I wanted instead of set meals and snacks, and. . . Dunkin Donuts coffee with added sugar and cream (and flavor shots, more sugar!).

To fill in for those habits, I started making my coffee at home to substitute the Dunkin Donuts coffee, and I started eating set, satiating meals. When I have the urge to eat that isn't definite hunger, if I drink a glass of water, chew gum, drink some hot tea, or go for a walk to distract myself. . . if I try that and I'm still hungry and it is not meal time, I will eat a snack with the appropriate amount of fat/protein/fiber in it.

Maybe it's just the fact that you are making new habits (like me) and you body just has to adjust. :D
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There is zero scientific evidence to support eating multiple times a day helps regulate blood sugar. In fact, more recent studies show the exact opposite to be true. http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

Hmm, this is interesting research, I eat 5 times a day now, high protien breakfast, berries for a morning snack, high protien lunch, and high protien afternoon snack, usually high protein dinner....... ugh cant somebody just say here-- eat this at this time or this many times a day and you will lose weight easily.
    When you eat, and how much you eat per meal, and the number of meals you eat are all of very little importance as far as results are concerned. Total calories and macro nutrients consumed for the day are by and large the most important part of weight loss. You should structure your intake in a pattern that allows you to meet your calorie and macro goals the easiest. For some it's eating 6 small meals. Others do better with 2 large meals. Some prefer the typical 3 meals and a snack. There is no best choice. If you stick with your goals, any meal timing scheme will work fine.