Carbs VS Fat VS Protein

Options
13»

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my macro mix, as it is irrelevant to my weightloss.

I do prefer protein, and enjoy the feeling or tearing apart flesh, cooked or raw. So I tend to eat more protein, and fewer carbs. I'm not a big fruit fan, and I know I shouldn't eat grains much, considering what they do to my stomach. However, I'm stupid sometimes.

Yes this is true but, it IS relevant as far as body composition goes.

to a certain degree.
    It is relevant when you go sub 12%

At any level of body fat macro distribution will play a role, may not be as noticeable at higher levels but certainly will be in your lifts. Also not to mention the hormonal issues of being deficient in a macro-nutrient over an extended amount of time. The most common for example due to bad info: fat.

Past this point is not related to the average person.

The hormonal issue is related to fat intake where it is literally non existent and little to no EFAs are taken within the body.

In regards to glycogen your body doesnt use as much glycogen in a normal lifting routine as people think it does. Even ketogenic people can still maintain a decent amount of strength in relation to inadequate carbohydrate intake and do not feel the effects of fatigue in relation to low carbohydrate intake.

Protein becomes a bigger factor the leaner you are.
    People have this assumption that if someone is at 25%+ bodyfat they still need 1lb of protein per lb of bw.
    They can go as low as .5 and still maintain adequate muscle mass and strength.

It is all relative to fuel availability such as protein will be determined upon muscle vs fat ratio.

This is also the first time I saw that someone says you will have a hormonal issue from being deficient of protein or carbs

While I agree that less protein is required the higher the BF% *if* you base it on body weight. This is not to say it is irrelevant though - the math just needs to change. That is why I usually prefer to use LBM as it at least has a 'self governing' factor. The person with a 25% BF will have a proportionately lower LBM that the same person with a 15% BF.

Protein deficiency (or excess) can possibly cause a downstream impact that will affect hormones - although this is goes more into the 'possible' and 'may' realms when talking about a deficiency as opposed to an excess (and excess is pretty high and varies on the individual).
    The problem I see with LBM is fat calipers and electrode ways of measurement are being interpreted as the proper form of measurement. When I started lifting I was 13-16% bodyfat when I was clearly 25%+.
    A trained individual, the numbers will not be vary as much.

This forum is mainly comprised of overweight people rather than bodybuilders or athletes. Their numbers will vary much higher than someone who is clearly 15%.

Well I guess its cause the physiological requirement of protein is so low I couldnt imagine someone going that low.

Yes this is true speaking from an objective point of view. My original comment to body composition was mostly referring to the average lifter. If one were trying to get their daily min intake of protein it would be relatively easily, assuming that individual was not interested in LBM preservation.

Also, yes calipers and those hand-held devices are extremely inaccurate.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I did all that primal stuff ( and under 30g carbs a day) for a while, seemed to sort out my being hungry all time.

The it stopped working for me and I'm back on 40c/30f/30p ish eating whatever comes to hand.

Going OK, cheesecake and peanut M&Ms formed part of my day :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Running day - 2409 cals; 30 P, 35 F, 35 C
    Lifting days - 1874 cals; 40 P, 30 F, 30 C
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in, but they discuss it in the Protein Round Table with Eric Helms and Alan Aragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

It's long but worth listening to (more than once :smile: )
    I can listen to Eric and especially Alan but Ian McCarthy is a no it all who doesn't even look like he worksout. Good thing he is doing the interview.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in, but they discuss it in the Protein Round Table with Eric Helms and Alan Aragon

I can listen to Eric and especially Alan but Ian McCarthy is a no it all who doesn't even look like he worksout. Good thing he is doing the interview.

Ian is actually really knowledgeable (if a little annoying). He is young so does not have the physique of many of the others. He also overcame anorexia and so had further to go to look big. Knowledge about protein does not require a good physique.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Running day - 2409 cals; 30 P, 35 F, 35 C
    Lifting days - 1874 cals; 40 P, 30 F, 30 C
    lifting helps more in muscle preservation rather than running.

it may actually be more beneficial to have a higher protein intake on a running day.

you could drop fat to 25 and increase protein on the running day, but not everyday
  • DatMurse
    Options

Ian is actually really knowledgeable (if a little annoying). He is young so does not have the physique of many of the others. He also overcame anorexia and so had further to go to look big. Knowledge about protein does not require a good physique.

knowledgeable or not he has no credentials and he acts like a little **** toward other people online by being rude.
    If someone doesnt know any better make an attempt to educate them and then you can bash them if they remain ignorant,. not by making call out videos and being rude.

He has alot of learning to do. I dont care if he fought anorexia because I personally fought a mild form of bulimia, there is no reason to be so rude.
    He wont win people over in the scientific community with a personality like that
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

knowledgeable or not he has no credentials and he acts like a little **** toward other people online by being rude.
    If someone doesnt know any better make an attempt to educate them and then you can bash them if they remain ignorant,. not by making call out videos and being rude.

He has alot of learning to do. I dont care if he fought anorexia because I personally fought a mild form of bulimia, there is no reason to be so rude.
    He wont win people over in the scientific community with a personality like that

The anorexia comment was in direct response to the 'does not look like he lifts' comment.

I did not argue that he is not annoying and/or rude. That does not detract from their knowledge...look at Lyle's recent meltdowns.

Good discussion from Alan Aragon (who does have credentials) re credentials: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/11/18/paper-credentials-vs-the-fitness-industry/

Edited for typo.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    The anorexia comment was in direct response to the 'does not look like he lifts' comment.

I did not argue that he is not annoying and/or rude. That does not detract from their knowledge...look at Lyle's recent meltdowns.

Edited for typo.
    I guess you are referring to the Layne vs Lyle debate.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 1g protein per lb/lbm and 0.35g fats per lb/body weight - the rest I fill in wherever, but trying to keep carbs up as much as possible while still being able to eat food I like.

Exactly My Approach As Well. Has Worked Very Well For Me. Damn Phone Caps Everything. lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    20c / 40f / 40p - My reasons for this is I am following a 1800 cal diet. I'm an Endomorph body type

I want protein at 1g per lb of lean body mass. My lean body mass is around 180lbs therefore 40% of 1800 cals = 720 cals divided by 4 = 180g protein

I want to keep below 100g of carbs per day therefore 1800 divided by 100g x 4cal = 450 = 25% of total cals (rounded down to 20% because mfp doesn't allow 25%

Rest is allocated to fat which equals 40%

Great article on macro ratios and fat loss depending on body types here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-magical-macronutrient-ratio-for-fat-loss.html

It doesn't?

Mine are at 30/30/40 C/F/P which at 2500 cal is 187g/187g/111g.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Edited for typo.

No only that - just before that was the Lyle v Martin and the Lyle v Contreras and as a peripheral the Lyle v Aragon sh!tstorms. Recurring theme there...Lyle.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

Edited for typo.

No only that - just before that was the Lyle v Martin and the Lyle v Contreras and as a peripheral the Lyle v Aragon sh!tstorms. Recurring theme there...Lyle.
    I will check those out. I am going to guess that Lyle went on a frenzy while the others kept their composure.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Good discussion from Alan Aragon (who does have credentials) re credentials: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/11/18/paper-credentials-vs-the-fitness-industry/

Edited for typo.
    Oh I completely agree. I feel that I know that know more about nutrition than most of the nutrition majors I have came across.
    The thing is he has no rep or no cred to be acting like such a way.

Lyle has meltdowns but we know he is smart. He has interpreted countless studies and done many readings.

The thing is we know that Lyle is right in many things, even if I dont agree with his online persona(Even though I laugh at his meltdowns). He has a reputation.

Ian tries to proclaim himself as an online guru, but he spits out information that has been said by the bigger guys. I admire what he is trying to do with the truth, I dont like how he is doing it cause he is making many educated in the people in the community seem like pieces of ****.

I am not even talking about the rest of these people who talk about IIFYM without knowing the true basis of the diet. The fact it was made to cover micronutrient intake as well. not just by taking in protein powders, waxy maize, and olive oil as sources of food.

You already know my personal beliefs with people that are so concrete with these followings and do not follow moderation and this goes both ways of veganism, paleo dieters, and people who literally take it as IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS with disregard of micronutrients, phytochemicals, and antioxidants
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh I completely agree. I feel that I know that know more about nutrition than most of the nutrition majors I have came across.

Lyle has meltdowns but we know he is smart. He has interpreted countless studies and done many readings.

The thing is we know that Lyle is right in many things, even if I dont agree with his online persona(Even though I laugh at his meltdowns). He has a reputation.

Ian tries to proclaim himself as an online guru, but he spits out information that has been said by the bigger guys. I admire what he is trying to do with the truth, I dont like how he is doing it cause he is making many educated in the people in the community seem like pieces of ****.

I am not even talking about the rest of these people who talk about IIFYM without knowing the true basis of the diet. The fact it was made to cover micronutrient intake as well. not just by taking in protein powders, waxy maize, and olive oil as sources of food.

You already know my personal beliefs with people that are so concrete with these followings and do not follow moderation and this goes both ways of veganism, paleo dieters, and people who literally take it as IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS with disregard of micronutrients, phytochemicals, and antioxidants

Taking off infini-quotes

I absolutely agree that his approach is often abrasive and sometimes too black and white. As he gets older hopefully he will learn to temper his approach as he really does have good things to say (probably because he listens to the 'right people' as you say).

There do seem to be a lot of volatile egos in the industry. I think that is why I like Helms so much - he always comes across as reasonable and not arrogant. Plus he can back his shiz up!
  • DatMurse
    Options

Taking off infini-quotes

I absolutely agree that his approach is often abrasive and sometimes too black and white. As he gets older hopefully he will learn to temper his approach as he really does have good things to say (probably because he listens to the 'right people' as you say).

There do seem to be a lot of volatile egos in the industry. I think that is why I like Helms so much - he always comes across as reasonable and not arrogant. Plus he can back his shiz up!

My favorite is always Alan. He is always very humble and calm. He doesnt let the heat get to him.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Carbs 50%, Protein 25%, Fats 25%

this ^^ is what i do as well. I never eat all my fat for the day, but ill go over on protein which i dont mind at all.
    So its more like 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fats
  • BurtSharff
    BurtSharff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do fine with 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. I've steadily lost weight.... 65 pounds so far.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    40p/35c/25f

this has woked for me thus far.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

But I feel like I have the most energy when my carbs are at about 50% and my protein at 30% and my fat at 20%

It depends on the day I guess.

My main focus is that I at least get 100 grams of protein which most of the time I do.