PCOS METFORMIN DOSAGE

Options
This is directed at people with PCOS and taking metformin.
I just wanted to know what dosage everyone is on and the type (XR normal etc) and whether it has actually helped the majority of you.
I do have it prescribed, but I stopped taking it as all it did was make me tired(I did take XR too). It didn't make me lose weight or help with it, I just was wondering whether I was taking enough and to compare with other sufferers.
I was taking 1000mg XR, then I was prescribed 1500 XR, but I stopped it.

I don't want to rely on tablets to lose weight really as if and when they stop working or something happens where I'm no longer prescribed them, what happens?
I would rather do it diet and exercise alone. I started a ketogenic diet also but nothing is budging.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• annettehangartner
    annettehangartner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am on 500 mg twice a day. regular not XR.
    Metformin would not make you tired though, unless you were on it for several months and your vitamin B level is low.....You need to supplement a B complex when on Metformin.

Now Metformin is not a 'weight loss pill" It helps regulate insulin, with PCOS and insulin resistance you have cells that need the insulin for energy, your body produces the insulin, but the cells are not getting a clear connection with the insulin. So your body produces even more....eventually enough seeps into the cells, but in the meantime you have produced a ton of it and that is stored in fat cells. Metformin helps regulate the production of insulin, and the proper acceptance to the cells.

Insulin either regulated, or running amuck, will affect other hormones to fall in line.....then we get this wonderful screwed up mess we call PCOS

B Complex, D3 and Biotin are all great supplements to take with PCOS, with or without the Metformin.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but pre-diabetes and was on 500mg metformin XR for a week, I was supposed to increase dosage to 1000, then 1500 the following weeks but; I was nauseous, lightheaded, dizzy, and had to stop it - this was after I called the pharmacist and the Dr. I was switched to glumetza XR, and I've had no problems with it.

Both medications reduce the amount of glucose your liver produces so that your insulin will work more efficiently. This is how it was explained by the Dr.

So I would talk to your Dr before you stop the medicine. There is probably a good reason the Dr prescribed it. I have found the majority of Dr's don't prescribe medications for no reason at all.
  • c1ove
    c1ove Posts: 5
    Options
    Do all PCOS sufferers have insulin resistance? I was never tested for insulin resistance so I'm unsure I have it, however, I am also a type 1 diabetic so this is another thing shoved into equation.
  • ashlynmoody1
    ashlynmoody1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and am taking 500mg three times a day.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    c1ove wrote: »
    Do all PCOS sufferers have insulin resistance? I was never tested for insulin resistance so I'm unsure I have it, however, I am also a type 1 diabetic so this is another thing shoved into equation.

If you're a type 2, you've surpassed insulin resistance and metformin would be given to you for the same reason someone insulin resistant would get it. Metformin is an insulin sensitizer, makes it so your body recognizes the insulin it produces more readily without the body pumping more insulin than it needs or your blood sugar creeping up to crazy diabetic levels permanently.

As a type 1, your body doesn't produce insulin, so you're pretty much injecting, yes? PCOS can also be diagnosed with an increase of testosterone. I actually have insulin resistant PCOS with low testosterone, aka I'm a weirdo. :p

As for dosage, I have been taking 1000 mg of regular metformin twice a day, unless I only eat 1 meal, then I only take it once that day. This is something agreed upon with my doctor since I don't eat very much normally.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that if you get to the point where something isn't prescribed, it's because you don't need it anymore. As a type 1 prescribed metformin, you're probably given less insulin because of the metformin, controlling your blood sugar better than straight insulin.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ...Metformin is not a 'weight loss pill" It helps regulate insulin...

^^This! OP, if you think taking a pill alone will do the work, you are mistaken. It's just one tool in the toolbox to help you along the way. You still need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. You still need to somewhat manage your sugar intake. You can't eat a pint of ice cream every day and think your sugar will stay in line. ;)

For those suffering the side effects, they do go away. You just have to start at a lower dose and work your way up. I started on 500 mg twice a day but I was so nauseous! So my doctor had me do 500 mg once a day for a month to ease into it. Then I added another 500 mg every other day, until I was up to the "proper" dose. I find it works better if I wait about an hour after a meal to take it.

You should never stop taking a prescription medication without first talking to your doctor. It's prescribed for a reason. If it's not working as you'd hoped, or you're having unpleasant side effects, then talk to the doc. They can do tests to find out why it's not working, change the dosage, or switch to something else.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I took Metformin for about 10 years (except during my 2 pregnancies) it was 1000mg of XR.
    It never made me tired. I did have diarrhea at first while my body was adjusting and my dose was slowly increased.
    Also like a couple others have mentioned this medication is supposed to help you with your blood sugar and insulin! If you're under the impression that this will help you lose weight you are mistaken.
    The only way it helped my weight was by giving me diarrhea when I consumed too much sugar. I had to learn that I could have 2 Oreos, not 10.
    I'm no longer taking Metformin. My blood sugars and insulin have reached an acceptable range. Also my diagnosis of PCOS was thrown out the window since I got pregnant TWICE after my diagnosis and while taking birth control.
    If you feel like you have been misinformed you need to do some research on your own. It's your right to ask for a second opinion. You need to be your own advocate for your health.
    Good luck!