Do nuts trigger overeating for anybody else? Just me?

Options

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I hate all types of nuts (yet strangely, love peanut butter) but I know that can't-stop-once-you-start craving very well!

You could limit your purchase of them, perhaps by only buying one small single-portion packet at a time, and eating it when you won't be able to go out and get more that day, like as a snack later at night when your local store is closed and you can't just get more from your cupboards. Making sure I don't have access to the things I know I will crave more of after eating works well for me. If you drive, you might feel too silly to get in the car to go all the way to a 24 hour shop just for a bag of nuts.
  • mahogony07
    Options
    I have the same issue. Nuts seem to send me into a frenzy due the crunchiness and salt. I have found that even when I buy the portioned ones, I still end up craving more of it. I've found that they are best for me when they are out of the house or I can have my husband ration a few for me and lock them up afterwards. It's funny because no other food does this to me. I guess we all have our vices.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I can't stop if the nuts are roasted and salted. I've found, however that I can eat raw almonds and stop at a serving without too much trouble.

But roasting and salting make them so very delicious.

This. If nuts are roasted and salted, I will binge. Not only that there is often soy or other unhealthy oils that are added to nuts that are processed.

When I eat only raw and unsalted nuts I never over-eat them. I get a clear signal when I am full and then I'm satisfied. I eat a wide variety of raw nuts in small amounts and I see them as a healthy part of my diet.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially the salty ones.

How YOU doin?
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know myself to be a salty over sweets snacker. So because of that I snack on sweeter stuff such as fruits/yogurt. I avoid nuts, although I will occasionally dash some seeds on my food but man my cravings skyrocket if I have nuts alone so I just avoid them and opt for the Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt. Much more protein in that anyways for less calories.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Depends on the nuts for me. I can portion out a half a cup of pistachios just fine, but cashews? No. Hell no. I can't have them in the house. I can't *pass them in the grocery store*. I can and will eat my weight in those things, and nothing on this earth can stop me.

It's so weird, because I don't have binge impulses for anything else. Oreos, ice cream, french fries, potato chips. I can walk away when I'm done. It's really just ****ING CASHEWS.

No idea what it is.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Always premeasure! Otherwise I would go crazy on the cashews
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yep for me too
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes I tend to eat more than a serving - or I don't but really feel as though I've had a snack. You don't get enough for a snack amount of calories/serving. I also agree that the shelled nuts make it easier to eat less.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

This.

But no, seriously.

Pre-portion. Buy a bag/jar/can/whatever, weigh out servings in ziploc bags, and that should help. That's what I always do.
  • Rowan63
    Rowan63 Posts: 6
    Options
    I hate all types of nuts (yet strangely, love peanut butter) but I know that can't-stop-once-you-start craving very well!

You could limit your purchase of them, perhaps by only buying one small single-portion packet at a time, and eating it when you won't be able to go out and get more that day, like as a snack later at night when your local store is closed and you can't just get more from your cupboards. Making sure I don't have access to the things I know I will crave more of after eating works well for me. If you drive, you might feel too silly to get in the car to go all the way to a 24 hour shop just for a bag of nuts.

Not strange at all since peanuts are not nuts... ;)
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As long as I get the 100 cal packs of dry roasted almonds or pre-measure them myself from a larger bag I'm ok. But given a bag to eat out of, forget it.
  • shewasanicon
    shewasanicon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, I only ear raw nuts. I think the salt triggered me to want more. Just a suggestion. :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of nuts for this very reason. A serving of nuts is a joke, and eating more means I have to eat a lot less the rest of the day. Nah, too calorie dense for me, especially since they don't fill me up at all.

My husband is bulking and I make him a homemade mixture of his favorites: cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, glazed pecans, regular peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, semi-sweet chocolate chips, raisins and peanut M&Ms. I separate them into 1/2 cup servings instead of the usual 1/4 cup and it's over 500 calories for one little bag of nuts. Good for him, since he needs to get in 4000 calories a day just to gain a pound a week, but I steer clear of them.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This.

But no, seriously.

Pre-portion. Buy a bag/jar/can/whatever, weigh out servings in ziploc bags, and that should help. That's what I always do.

Just limit yourself to 2.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I only eat unsalted & unroasted nuts myself, and find them ok to eat in moderation. I do find when I eat a handful of almonds though for example, they don't really sate my hunger unless I eat them with something else, usually a small piece of dark chocolate.

Apparently you're not alone though, many people have difficulty eating nuts in moderation, so if they're a trigger food, perhaps just avoid them, or else include them in set portions with something else that will fill you. For example, my morning breakfast is simply yoghurt, berries, nuts and seeds, and it seems to work nicely in terms of filling me.

Oh, I did find it a lot easier to be filled by my occasional handful of almonds as a snack, when I ate each almond individually instead of just popping two or three into my mouth at a time :) Also portion control is important with nuts, as its so easy to eat a lot of calories quickly if you go overboard on them.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I brought a tub of trail mix from Target with me to work before I started watching what I eat. I thought I would save money that way. I ended up eating the whole thing in three days (no wonder I gained a bunch of weight in the last three months!) Now I buy the individually wrapped serving sizes and it keeps me in check.
  • jadeous
    jadeous Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had this problem until I started eating plain raw nuts, no salt or other yummy stuff :(
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.

But no, seriously.

Just limit yourself to 2.

2 handfuls.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah, I once switched to nuts instead of Skittles during a stressful period at work. I put on 3lbs in a week. XD