Snacking During The Day At Work

Options
This is a serious question so please don’t troll or make fun of me. This is a community and I’d like some honest advice.

I know the reason that I can’t lose weight is because I’ll snack throughout the day. It’s hard for me to admit it but it’s true. The reason I started doing this is because I have anxiety problems. When I was younger, during school, my stomach would growl if I was hungry and I’d get really embarrassed. Anyway, so it’s a fear of mine to have that happen at my professional job. So I’ve started having some food around just in case. But it has gotten out of control and I end up eating more than I need to (more than just controls the stomach growling).

And now it’s just gotten into a pattern, that I am just used to snacking at work. So now I have to break that pattern. It’s easy enough to just not have anything on hand but then I get super nervous that my stomach will growl and my coworkers will notice and make fun of me or whatever (I know, it may be illogical, but please just go with it).

I guess I’m more looking for suggestions to not have anything on hand but also have something around. Things that are “tasty” seem appetizing and then I will snack on them. Also a lot of healthy things (like cut up veggies) go bad quickly. And then I’ve got to figure out what to do with my hands because they always need to be doing something (I can’t sit still… even though I have a desk job… ugh).

I’m kinda (very) embarrassed about my issues, it seems like a neverending cycle. I have tried and I have definitely improved from before (healthier snacks, etc.) but I want to just stop the majority of snacking unless I’m really hungry!!!

I actually eat pretty healthy for the most part. I mean, I can definitely eat better (most people could) but I don’t eat out all the time, I’m vegetarian and eat a lot of rice, beans, tofu. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I don’t exercise a lot but I have my morning routine that I’ve been sticking with for a good 9-10 months (some basic strength exercises and hula hooping). I walk every evening for about half an hour too. I also go out dancing on the weekends for major cardio. I honestly don’t have the time to increase my exercise although I am going to try to do a bit more in the evenings. I work like 50 hours a week at my regular job, like 10-20 hours a week at a second job, and then I am also involved in planning and promoting parties on the weekend. So all around, I think I do pretty well, except the snacking during the day!!

Please any advice, stories, etc. 

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is anything wrong with snacking during the day at work as long as it fits into your calorie goal.. i typically have two snacks during the workday along with my lunch.

do you have your snacks pre-measured? or are you eating straight out of a container? if you take a little time and plan ahead by measuring out your portions i think it could help avoid over-snacking.

you could try having protein bars, nuts, fruit, rice cakes (i top mine with nut butter), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight it's more than likely because you are eating too much food, not necessarily the snacking.

Do you know how many calories you should be eating?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I would say you are exercising enough. Not sure I have a solution for you, but I certainly understand wanting to snack all day at the office. Having a lifetime of boring jobs helped to make it a long term habit for me. I still do it, but not as much as I used to . I have to do it less unless I wan't to put my weight back on.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I prepare all my works snacks and lunch the night before this way I have plenty of good choices to tide me through my 8 hour work day which keeps away from the candy machines.
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Chew some sugar free gum :) Also, edamame. Comes in those little frozen boxes. Steam them in the microwave and it will keep your hands and mouth busy for awhile.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Plan and pre-log your snacks. Space them out over the course of your work day and when you've eaten them all, just suck it up. I don't mean that in a mean way at all...I wouldn't seriously say "suck it up" as advice normally.

About the stomach growling fear...I do understand sometimes people have some kind of irrational fears and phobias. I am a fellow anxiety sufferer, and I am really freaked out by people wearing scrubs and could NEVER wear scrubs for a job. So if your stomach growling fear is real, I'm not trying to talk you out of it...however, do you realize that in most situations even at work, having some growly sounds from your stomach isn't that big of a deal? I think most people would barely even notice or if they did it wouldn't be a huge issue to them at all. Better than farting or a constant cough.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy snacks. If you don't have a fridge, bring a little insulated lunch bag. Have grapes or berries or shredded lettuce. You get the mindless hand-to-mouth eating without the calories.

It might be easier to just break the habit. Bad habits are hard to break, but it can be done if you really want to do it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I find baby carrots last well, are filling, and are healthy.

You might want to consider keeping fresh snack like veggies and fruit in a small cooler at your desk if you don't have a fridge nearby.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I have a morning snack - Kaizen Chocolate whey powder in water 1 1/2 scoops and an afternoon snack, also high in protein. Babybel cheese - 2 wheels. Schneiders pepperoni, Oikos or Liberte greek yogurt - as full fat as possible. It keeps me more full for a longer period.

I pack my lunch before work. Not everyday is the same and I have a tin of tuna in my desk in case it's a hungry day. (Like after lifting!)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Good suggestions so far!
    I'm vegetarian (mostly vegan - I'm also mostly lactose intolerant so I can't have much dairy and I avoid dairy and animal products).

I ALWAYS pack my own lunch. I have bought lunch maybe five times in the three years I've been here (and always because I'm sick and craving soup lol)

I also have fruit every afternoon. I cut it up the night before and then snack on it in the afternoon. I know fruit has calories but it's also delicious and healthy and there is no way I'm giving up my fruit, it's like my favourite food, seriously :P

I should be eating 1200 calories - *sigh* - the rest of my meals are fine for the most part aha it's those annoying snacks that increase it over 1200.

Lol I know my fear of stomach growling is ridiculous. I just remember grade 12 (so, you know, a few years ago) and my stomach growling and everyone staring and it just WOULDN'T STOP. My coworkers are so chill here and they wouldn't even care but it's still an irrational fear of mine. :P

I like the idea of cutting up some veggies like carrots and cucumbers (I hate uncooked veggies actually... although I love them steamed... but those aren't good snacks). Edamame sounds like a good idea too, I need to go find some of that!!! Nuts in moderation would be a good idea. I have sunflower seeds with the shells at home so it takes effort to eat them and then you don't eat as much. I like that, but it doesn't work for work lol.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'd ration out nuts and blueberries. These are small so that if you feel a growl coming on, you can pop one in your mouth. Maybe only snack in those terms. Take one bite, put it down, chew thoroughly, then drink full glass of water. I'm not being facetious, I'm also a constant snacker throughout the day.

Rationing your snacks ahead of time is a really good idea like selzermint said. Put it on your desk and when you are done, you're done...that's it. So make sure there are a lot of little things that can go into your mouth that fit into your calorie goal so that you can space it throughout the day.

Can I suggest also from someone that also has a loud, angry belly growl (when I'm hungry), that doing a stomach crunch (or at least tightening up the ab muscles as much as you can without being obvious) may work in a pinch. It works for one or two growls before your stomach tells you that it is really seriously hungry.

Another thought, can you play a radio really softly at work so that you can always have some sort of background noise and it's not so quiet that you can hear a pin drop? This may drown out your smaller stomach grumbles.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I prepare all my works snacks and lunch the night before this way I have plenty of good choices to tide me through my 8 hour work day which keeps away from the candy machines.
    Same here. I eat six times a day.

OP, pre-log all your food, including work snacks, prep that morning or the night before, and off you go!

If you are trying to lose weight, stay within your calorie goals.
  • xoxsahara
    xoxsahara Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pack healthy snacks the night before, my dear OP friend!! I work most long days from 10-6 which means I have a healthy breakfast before but then the rest of my day is FILLED with everything that I packed myself! Typical day:

Lunch:
    Tuna sandwich
    Whole cucumber w/balsamic dressing
    Green peppers
    Greek yogurt
    Chocolate chips

The snacks I bring along:
    Peaches
    Apples
    Another greek yogurt
    Granola bars
    Carrots
    Banana
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Almonds
    Popcorn

I'm in an isolated location but I always have enough snacks to keep me satisfied for the whole day and it makes everything so soosossos much easier. It's not unlike me to have like 600 calories JUST in snacks and a smaller lunch because I eat more when I work all day
  • dracaene
    dracaene Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I snack ALL DAY at work. I sit at a desk too. I know for me, I snack because I'm bored. Sitting at a desk is boring! I've found the best way for me to incorporate my snacking habit is to pre-measure out all my snacks in the morning and do my best to eat everything slooooowly. Like, I'll take 3 bites to eat 1 almond, and I'll eat pumpkin seeds one at a time. I also have a huge thermos of coffee (10 cups!) that I sip on throughout the day in between the snacks. Not food per se, but still something that I'm putting in my mouth.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow snackers! Try these:

-gum
    -iced tea (sweetened with stevia or nothing)
    -coffee
    -nuts (almonds are a good one)

These keep my hands/mouth busy without being too sugary or going bad too quickly.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you snacking and eating on a lot of carbs? If so, it helped me to switch to a high-protein/low carb diet. I was a carb monster and carbs made me wanna eat when I was not hungry. On a low carb diet I don't have the carb or sugar cravings.
  • shaynak112
    Options
    More good responses!
    I drink about 2L of water every day at work too hahah. I have a 1/2L water bottle and I fill it up 3-4 times a day and I have another water at lunch. I make sure my lunches are fairly small since I know I snack (I'm not having a full meal). I eat oats for breakfast every morning too (although I have skipped that lately, I should get back into it, it's good for you!). During the winter, I usually drink just 1/2L of water but LOTS of decaf tea. I just keep refilling it all day lol. Usually two in the morning, two in the afternoon.

I like the suggestion about eating things slowly and all the suggestions about what to bring. Seems like nuts, fruits, and veggies are good suggestions. And taking a bite, then a sip of water. Interesting routine. It's definitely worth a shot!

Pre-logging my food seems difficult. I've gotten out of the habit of logging all my foods. I'm going to start logging them all again. It's so tempting to just have a bite of something hah. And then eat the whole thing....

Ugh I wish veggies were tastier uncooked. Also I wish fruit and nuts weren't so expensive. But I don't care, worth it to be healthier! I think I could store some nuts or something like that here at work. Maybe a couple granola bars. Just keep them in my desk in case I got really hungry. In that case, it's perfectly fine. But this mindless eating. It's also like, I'm not even enjoying the food, I'm just eating it out of habit!

It feels so lame having this problem... but I REALLY want to fix it. I've had times where I've kinda solved it but I want to REALLY solve it this time.
  • shaynak112
    Options
    Are you snacking and eating on a lot of carbs? If so, it helped me to switch to a high-protein/low carb diet. I was a carb monster and carbs made me wanna eat when I was not hungry. On a low carb diet I don't have the carb or sugar cravings.

YES definitely more carbs than protein. I guess nuts would be the best snack-type vegan product for this?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Preplanning snacks is usually how I keep them under control. I have an insulated lunch back with a pocket for one of those blue ice packs (keeps the contents cold all day), and I pack my daily snacks. I used to keep dry snacks in my desk, but I'd wind up eating too much, or would forget about them and they'd go stale. When it becomes a keep my hands busy habit, I chew on a straw or something (those little coffee stirrers are great). Sounds dumb, but it works for me.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Figure ouhow many calories you should be getting each day and break those down to 6 small meals or 3 meals and 3 snacks. You might find it easier to control if you schedule it and by breaking up your daily calories this way, you won't overeat. This should make it possible to limit calorie intake and lose weight.