applesauce

Options
s_hamm_08
s_hamm_08 Posts: 117 Member
Anyone make there own applesauce? I'm looking for a healthy version of applesauce with as little sugar as possible.

Replies

• tryonjen
    Options
    Hey there, it's super easy. Just boil chunks of skinless apples until they're soft and add a little bit of cinnimon to taste(or not). and blend. Super easy, and basically the same calories as an apple.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This is for 1 serving............If you want to make multiple servings, just add more apples...........

1 gala apple
    1 granny smith apple
    1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp of nutmeg
    1/8 tsp of allspice

Directions
    1. Slice the apples and take out the core (throw away the core).

2. Place the slice apples into the blender or food processor.

3. Add the ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. (If its to much spice for you, add less then the amount).

4. Process it to your likings.

5. Enjoy
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yup! Boil or steam the apple and puree! I have a baby food maker, which I love! (used it when my son was still a baby of course). But, you steam the food and then puree in the same container. This helps to retain some of the nutrients that would normall boil off in the water.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This is for 1 serving............If you want to make multiple servings, just add more apples...........

1 gala apple
    1 granny smith apple
    1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp of nutmeg
    1/8 tsp of allspice

Directions
    1. Slice the apples and take out the core (throw away the core).

2. Place the slice apples into the blender or food processor.

3. Add the ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. (If its to much spice for you, add less then the amount).

4. Process it to your likings.

5. Enjoy

Good point! You don't even have to cook the apple! :tongue: (I had to for the baby food in the beginning!)
  • s_hamm_08
    Options
    thanks you guys, I've never made it before but this sounds real easy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I used to make it for my daughter. Just peel, cut up and steam some apples. When they're soft, put them into a blender or food processor, or you can even use a potato masher, to puree/mash them to your liking. You can add some cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and/or nutmeg for a little added flavor. You shouldn't need to add any sugar at all.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    yes i make my own. I use 3 different kinds of apples. Granny smith's, melrose, and one sweet one I can't remember right now. I boilthem down in water until they are simply mash. I then add some equal, a little brown sugar, cinnamon and a little nutmeg.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
    8-10 medium apples
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup water

I threw it all together in the crockpot for 6-8 hours (on low) overnight. So good, no added sugar or anything. So delicious!

Makes 8 servings
    67 calories, 17g carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein, 2mg sodium and 4g fiber
  • s_hamm_08
    Options
    I like the idea of adding cranberries, thanks for sharing.
  • country
    country Posts: 57
    Options
    I make apple sauce all the time for my baby and my step son. Baking the apple keeps the most nutrients in them. I cut them in half, core them, place them in a 9x13 glass pan, sprinkle cinnamon on them, turn them over (skin side up), add about a ¼ of a inch of water. Cook 400 degrees for 30 mins. Then I take the skins off usually with a pearing knife and blend.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. Bump!! Love the crock recipe, can't wait to try. :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I made a bunch of apple sauce and apple butter last year, and didn’t put any sugar in either one. The recipe I had called for like 4-6 cups of sugar for the apple butter, I thought that was way too much and cut it in half, still too sweet so the next batch I skipped the sugar all together, and it was great. Same with the apple sauce just leave it out, IMO apples are sweet enough as is, and if you condense them some the sweetness really comes out. Just add a bit of cinnamon some clove, and nutmeg, you will love it.