Getting periods back to be weight restored, what about guys?

Options
So, I know for a girl to be considered 'weight restored' or 'fully recovered' she has to have her periods back naturally. But what about boys suffering from EDs?

I ask this because I just got my blood work, heart tests, urine tests, physical, EKG, etc...all finished and EVERYTHING is normal (besides a virus but that is separate from weight). I am .2 below a normal BMI, too. I used to have a BMI of 14 two months ago but I started eating more and restored weight.

I have yet to get my period, yet I have gotten signs of it. My doc says that it takes a few months of maintaining your weight to get your period back. So my question is, why does my dietician/nutritionist (who is NOT the same as my doc) say and insist I should gain more weight?

I have healthy vitals, etc...so what is the issue? I am not tired, I look normal, I have body fat, and everyone says I look better and fine. Most importantly I feel HEALTHY for once.

They (doc and nutritionist) even told me I could exercise. So what gives? What is the problem? If I were a boy and I had all these vitals in place and I was at a BMI like mine, completely agile, healthy, and with a clear mind and happy body image, they would likely say "Ok! You're all set. No need to gain more." So why, just cause I am a woman, am I being forced to put on more pounds? To be brutally honest, I don't even want my period back. I have 1 ovary to begin with and don't want children. I can't even handle a puppy, let alone kids. And with all my other mental and financial issues I am not so selfish that I would reproduce as a rite of passage.

So, why even bother getting my period back, right? Seriously I am in my 20's and can't see a time where I would want kids. Now, back to the original question...if I were a boy, the docs would be cool with my weight, so why must I get fatter and fatter for my period?

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctors/health team - those of us on here {unless we have some doctors, we may} are simply just not qualified to answer these questions.

If it is recommended, it may be for genuine health reasons. And if you think the opinion of your health professional isn't correct, get a second {medically educated professional} opinion. Recovering from an ED is nothing to be taken lightly and those of us on here can offer suggestions however this is a serious issue and the answer needs to come from your health care provider, for your health and your well being now and in the future.
  • jsmommy1999
    jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You know I am not so sure about this one. Have you had your hormones tested to see what the levels are? I don't have medical training but I have had amenorrhea from too much exercise and stress and just generally throwing off my body. I have weighed less than I do now and had regular periods for years with no problem but my body is so messed up at the moment they are all over the place. I guess what I am saying is that while I don't think you should be looking for an excuse to under eat again, your period might be a bit more complicated than "just gain body fat" . I would think you would want a good OBGYN who will test all levels and be willing to give you bio identical hormones if needed to get you back on track. Also, unfortunately, stressing about your period will make it more unlikely that you will get your period.

Right now I am having so many problems I am just thinking that being a woman really sucks sometimes..lol...

Hang in there.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctors/health team - those of us on here {unless we have some doctors, we may} are simply just not qualified to answer these questions.

If it is recommended, it may be for genuine health reasons. And if you think the opinion of your health professional isn't correct, get a second {medically educated professional} opinion. Recovering from an ED is nothing to be taken lightly and those of us on here can offer suggestions however this is a serious issue and the answer needs to come from your health care provider, for your health and your well being now and in the future.

Definitely ask the nutritionist the question of "why". If the doctor said that you don't have to gain anymore weight, I'd be more inclined to believe the doctor. If the nutritionist can't answer this question, I think you should think about switching nutritionists. Perhaps they are worried about the actual amount of nutrients that you are or rather aren't getting yet? Just a thought. Good luck, and hope you arrive at a satisfactory answer from both the doc and nutritionist!
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Periods are a neat way of flushing your system of bacteria, shedding your uterine lining and eliminating excess iron, so your doctor recommendation might not be entirely related to ED recovery. Definitely talk with your doctor about it though as only they know why they said what they did.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to have a period. Typically, not getting one is a sign that something is wrong (or that you have a baby inside of you). Your BMI isn't the only health metric that matters.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to have a period. Typically, not getting one is a sign that something is wrong (or that you have a baby inside of you). Your BMI isn't the only health metric that matters.

To add on, reproduction is a vital life function. It's a huge red flag when your body feels threatened enough to stop it.
  • Cindybayon
    Options
    Premature loss of menstrual periods leads to osteoporosis
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly a young woman needs to be in excess of 7 stone in order for periods to click in. Being female demands a different level of body composition to that of the male, they don't, aren't trying to run the same functions. Your body does not know you have no wish for children and knows it has this sometimes overrated need to give you the opportunity to have one. We have a more complex system because of this and it needs to run with a higher percentage of body fat.

I would be more concerned about the lack of mensuration because it can lead to endometrial cancer, something to do with the lack of or irregularity in shedding the uterus lining and the accuracy of cell replacement, it can also happen to those who have a longer or less regular than the average cycle. It is not easy to find symptoms can be imprecise though it is usually slow growing and self contained, normally would not found till you are in your 70s when it could have spread. Such a ling way off for you now but should it hit in your 40s or 50s its not good.
  • Aquaburry
    Options
    Would all of this matter if i got a hysterectomy? I have already lost half of my fallopian tubes and a whole ovary as a little girl. I have one dysfunctional right ovary anyways, so why can't I just get that removed and call it a day?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You'd opt to have major surgery on an elective basis, with all the associated risks, rather than continue to gain a few more pounds? That's something you should discuss wth your doctor and your therapist.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They (doc and nutritionist) even told me I could exercise. So what gives? What is the problem? If I were a boy and I had all these vitals in place and I was at a BMI like mine, completely agile, healthy, and with a clear mind and happy body image, they would likely say "Ok! You're all set. No need to gain more." So why, just cause I am a woman, am I being forced to put on more pounds? To be brutally honest, I don't even want my period back. I have 1 ovary to begin with and don't want children. I can't even handle a puppy, let alone kids. And with all my other mental and financial issues I am not so selfish that I would reproduce as a rite of passage.

So, why even bother getting my period back, right? Seriously I am in my 20's and can't see a time where I would want kids. Now, back to the original question...if I were a boy, the docs would be cool with my weight, so why must I get fatter and fatter for my period?

Can we skip the false outrage, pls.

From Wikipedia:
    Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

Women are physically designed to have a bit more fat on them then men, mostly because fat amounts can greatly effect estrogen.

You may choose to keep yourself at a point where you don't get your period, you choice. But there may be other side effects, since you are affecting an essential hormone.
    Would all of this matter if i got a hysterectomy? I have already lost half of my fallopian tubes and a whole ovary as a little girl. I have one dysfunctional right ovary anyways, so why can't I just get that removed and call it a day?

I don't think you have fully researched the effects of a hysterectomy.
  • Aquaburry
    Options
    Huh, I never thought about the medical implications after a hysterectomy. Seriously, I have a lot of relatives who have already had such surgeries so I didn't think it would matter. I feel like I've gone too fat anyway and have done so much damage to my body there is no turning back and I need to just end the stupid weight gain and get a hysterectomy. And stop recommending a therapist please I just got in contact with one today and am waiting to hear back.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've gone too fat anyway and have done so much damage to my body there is no turning back and I need to just end the stupid weight gain and get a hysterectomy. And stop recommending a therapist please I just got in contact with one today and am waiting to hear back.

Yep, obviously your only solution is to have organs surgically removed from your body. I'm surprised each and every reply wasn't a suggestion to talk to a professional.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what other people need.

I wouldn't worry about specific yardstick your doctor is using to make sure that you are healthy - getting a hysterectomy would just make it harder to measure whether you are healthy.

Worry about being healthy.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've gone too fat anyway and have done so much damage to my body there is no turning back and I need to just end the stupid weight gain and get a hysterectomy. And stop recommending a therapist please I just got in contact with one today and am waiting to hear back.

Yep, obviously your only solution is to have organs surgically removed from your body. I'm surprised each and every reply wasn't a suggestion to talk to a professional.

People are recommending you speak to someone because you're clearly not ok. I know you say you feel it's unfair to qualify as normal because of not getting a period yet but going to the other extreme and thinking a hysterectomy is a reasonable idea for a 20 year old girl with no current issues is very very clearly NOT ok. Your emotions by saying you got too fat and all that, when you totally are not, are other indicators that you're NOT ok. We're trying to help as best we can, but we are not medical professionals.
  • Aquaburry
    Options

People are recommending you speak to someone because you're clearly not ok. I know you say you feel it's unfair to qualify as normal because of not getting a period yet but going to the other extreme and thinking a hysterectomy is a reasonable idea for a 20 year old girl with no current issues is very very clearly NOT ok. Your emotions by saying you got too fat and all that, when you totally are not, are other indicators that you're NOT ok. We're trying to help as best we can, but we are not medical professionals.

I told you this before and I might have to reiterate again...I already lost half my reproductive organs because I had near ovarian cancer to be more specific. My hormones are NOT only messed up due to weight loss, they are screwed up due to another additional medical condition! So why bother? It might happen anyways, having stuff removed!
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    No doctor will remove your uterus at your age unless you have cancer in your uterus or something else seriously wrong with it. Trust me, I have uterine fibroids and I wanted to just have them take out my uterus but they won't because I am 1. too young (I'm 30 btw), and 2. I have no kids. Even though I don't want kids, they won't do it in case I change my mind in the future (and saving them from a lawsuit). I've had 3 doctors tell me its not coming out. Which was hard to hear when you feel like you are miscarrying Satan's child and just want the pain to stop.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I told you this before and I might have to reiterate again...I already lost half my reproductive organs because I had near ovarian cancer to be more specific. My hormones are NOT only messed up due to weight loss, they are screwed up due to another additional medical condition! So why bother? It might happen anyways, having stuff removed!

My mother had similar surgeries at 24 years old and did in fact have pre cancerous cells that were removed twice. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about. Besides, you mentioned earlier in a different post that your thoughts about the hysterectomy were directly related to that being a cause for your weight gain. You're back pedaling and trying to tell me now that the two are unrelated topics when you yourself said something different earlier.

All I'm saying is, it's not normal to want to remove an entire part of your body. And no doctor in the world is going to do it without reason. All medical procedures carry risk, and guess what, the risk increases exponentially if you're overweight or underweight.

And just because something *might* happen doesn't mean you should speed up the process. Anyway, that's a complete derailment of the topic that started. Let's all backtrack.

You said you feel you've done too much damage to turn back. That's not true, it on;y makes the road you have to walk longer. It's hard. Any kind of change is hard. Add in a mental disorder and that increases. Add in the other health issues that may or may not be related and it's even harder. Especially handling things so young. Do you have a support system in place? Family? Friends?
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I hope this isn't triggering to you, but the way you're describing recovery, weight gain, and your own health in this thread sounds a whole lot like ED voice. My advice would be to talk about this with your therapist immediately.