Cheat day

Options
Just curious if anyone has cheat days where you eat whatever you want? I know of some people who swear its ok and others who will shame you for it ( like you kicked their dog lol)...any opinions?

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cheat days can blow your progress. Cheat meals are safer in moderation.
  • kevinfishers
    Options
    I've done cheat days and they really kill my progress mostly because I get addictive like cravings for foods once I being my 'cheat' and end up eating way too much so I've decided that I have to go cold turkey but I will say not everyone is the same and that cheat meals can be a really good way to motivate you to stick to your diet, if you can do them in moderation. If you're afraid of getting cravings and overeating then I would suggest for a cheat meal eat normal diet food but a little bit more than you normally would, that way you're still sticking to your diet foods and it may make it easier to get back on track when you go back to your normal diet.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that yes you should allow yourself treat or cheat meals/days. I've heard that it's good to do this one meal per week so not to feel deprived. However, they key is portions and in moderation. For example, don't go and eat a whole pizza thinking it's my cheat day I can eat what I want, instead have 1 or 2 slices. But you also need to know your limitations to make sure you don't trigger binges or getting off track. All this being said, your regular diet shouldn't be seen as diet food, it should be seen as a lifestyle change and feel normal.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Once one understands that there is no "clean" or "dirty" food, just food... then the term "cheat" has no meaning or relevance. That's ultimately what it boils down to.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Do I have days where I eat whatever I want, and don't log? Sure. Usually its for special occasions. They're not the norm, but I've learned not to stress about it. Would I have reached my goal faster if I didn't? Perhaps. I think they're good for my mental health though, and if this is truly a lifestyle change, isn't it how life should be led?
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Once one understands that there is no "clean" or "dirty" food, just food... then the term "cheat" has no meaning or relevance. That's ultimately what it boils down to.

This is exactly the way I feel about it. No food is off limits to me and I eat whatever I feel like every single day. The only two food rules I have are:
    1. NO SNACKING
    2. Always stay within my allotted calories
    You may eat candy, cookies, chips or whatever one day, but when you go to bed hungry because that small amount consumed too many of your calories - You'll only do it once! :)
    58369279.png
  • Stacey33ky
    Options
    Thank you for the opinions..... I agree with there is no clean or dirty food.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want when you want, as long as you fit it in your calorie allowance.

It's ok to go over your calories every now and again...it's when it becomes a habit that it becomes the problem.

Exercise and track the burns as best you can. Heart rate monitors are not exact science, but it can give you a good range to work with. Some people will say eat back all your exercise calories, some will say eat back 50%...I say start at about 75-80% for a while (at least 2 months) and see how your progression is. IF you need to, scale back on eating the burn calories, or if you're dropping a lot, you can even eat more.

Track your food...all your food...all the time. Don't guess, scan packages, get a digital scale and weigh your food. Plan ahead, plan meals, and don't feel guilty splurging with family and friends, but just don't go overboard.
  • blastbeat78
    blastbeat78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days. Normally every Sunday where I eat approx 500 - 1,000 calories over my goal but I follow 5:2 protocol which gives me quite a big weekly calorie deficit. I don't go crazy and stuff my face but I have higher carb meals and a sweet treat. It hasn't interfered with my weight loss as it helps me keep motivated and satisfies my cravings. While I will weigh a pound or so more the following day, I'm back to normal on Tuesday.

Check out this article about refeeds.
    http://www.herfitnesssolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/How-To-Set-Up-A-Refeed-Podcast.pdf
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day a week, BUT I stay within my calorie range. And I know myself enough to know that I am able to get right back on track the next day. I also know myself enough that if I did NOT have a cheat day I would give up on this journey.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try to squeeze a treat or two in my calorie budget every day so that I don't feel like I have to justify binging one day a week.

There are days that I go over my calorie budget for whatever reason (perfect example - road trips. Not a whole lot of opportunity for exercise and crap food for every meal) but I'm honest with myself and log it 100% of the time. It stings, but at least I'm aware - and that helps me make better choices in the future. My philosophy is just because I don't log it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    On day throught out week (I pick Saturday) I go to a local Italian pastry shop and get a few cookies and a slice of cake... that's my cheat day. I don't log the food, but, everything else I log throughout the day.

On that day I also HITT train at a local field with an 80lb. military vest... so I burn a **** load of calories anyhow. No detrimental effects yet. Actually lost 5 lbs this month from being so busy with work and moving. I need to eat more.

Having said that, do a cheat meal / snack / dessert..... not a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had them, they slow down my progress considerably (you can easily blow up a week and a half of deficit with one). So I've been avoiding them and been trying harder to fit what I like in my calories.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I prefer cheat meals. Usually one in the weekend. Having a whole day of eating whatever I wanted would make me go bananas and I probably would never get back on this site again.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options

THIS!!

I have been stuck for 4 weeks because I scarf down so many calories on my cheat days. This week I got back into the swing of things and didn't ruin any progress. All about moderation and finding what works for you. But be cautious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

THIS!!

I have been stuck for 4 weeks because I scarf down so many calories on my cheat days. This week I got back into the swing of things and didn't ruin any progress. All about moderation and finding what works for you. But be cautious.

Cheat meal and cheat days are pretty much the same thing for me really. At least with a cheat day I'm more likely to be stuffed earlier in the day (can hardly eat over 3400 calories now, but I don't drink). If a cheat meal is at dinner, it's tougher, as I'll be hungry during the day and end up eating more overall probably (and probably get sick after dinner because I ate too much).