Anyone mix their protien shake with coffee?

2»

Replies

• apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    I've tried..but none of the brands I've ever tired have dissolved very well.
  • SharpieV
    SharpieV Posts: 26 Member
    This thread is brilliant. I have a couple boxes of Starbucks Via (instant coffee powder) sitting around that I've been ignoring since I usually just go with the K-cups. But mixing them with the protein cold or warm (not hot, thank you!) will be an amazing bonus since I am 100% on the coffee every day, but iffy on the the protein. Hooray!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Yes.. I mix water, instant coffee and the protein powder. It is fantastic!!!!
  • vessede
    vessede Posts: 1
    I use Genesis Pure - PURE Café - mocha. Organic coffee drink with green coffee bean extract. Pour sleeve into 6 oz (or more if you like it thinner) hot water. Or, and best for me, is to create it, then let it cool. Add ice and if needed for that sweeter taste, add organic sweetener. DELISH, healthy, burning calories! To respond to the exact question, can also add PURE Café to my protein shake with no clumping issues, and a super hit of natural energy. BAM! :happy:
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    My wife does it all the time. She puts her hot coffee in ninja blender with her protein and pulses couple seconds. I prefer mine mixed with smoothie
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    I drink protein powder in hot coffee. The key is to temper the protein powder. It seriously takes me one minute to make coffee in the morning.

Mix protein powder with a cold liquid (in my case, it's almond milk, only 2 tbsp milk-half scoop unflavored whey)
    Brew coffee
    Mix a few tbsp of hot coffee into protein powder liquid while stirring
    Pour protein powder liquid into coffee
    Drink it, duh
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I have a few times. Usually my Syntrax Nectar Capaccino with coffee. Can you tell I like my coffee strong? :wink:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Yes.

Well, kinda - I have vanilla flavored protein (I think all of the flavored protein powders are way too sweet), and add instant espresso powder and sometimes cocoa powder. Then water and ice. Makes a decent cappucino-type (or mochacino-type) shake.

Don't try adding the protein powder to a hot liquid. You'll end up with a disgusting clumpy mess.

yeah- I threw a half scoop in the bottom of a mason jar- put in a k-cup added coffee- screwed on the lid and shook till my arms hurt- no dice.

wasted a perfectly good cup of coffee and a half scoop of protein. I was sad.

i haven't figured out a good way to mix the two properly- but in theory it's a "good" idea.

I've gotten into the habit of dumping a half scoop into my morning cups; I stir and stir but there are still some little clumps. I still add a bit of my favorite flavored creamer. Only thing is, I don't find the clumps disgusting. Weird how I've grown fond of coffee with a few little clumps in it! Go ahead and try it - you might not find it disgusting.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    I've put instant coffee in my protein shakes before to make mocha or vanilla coffee flavored. I use almond milk for a base so it's like a frozen coffee drink.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Yes.

Well, kinda - I have vanilla flavored protein (I think all of the flavored protein powders are way too sweet), and add instant espresso powder and sometimes cocoa powder. Then water and ice. Makes a decent cappucino-type (or mochacino-type) shake.

Don't try adding the protein powder to a hot liquid. You'll end up with a disgusting clumpy mess.

yeah- I threw a half scoop in the bottom of a mason jar- put in a k-cup added coffee- screwed on the lid and shook till my arms hurt- no dice.

i haven't figured out a good way to mix the two properly- but in theory it's a "good" idea.

I've gotten into the habit of dumping a half scoop into my morning cups; I stir and stir but there are still some little clumps. I still add a bit of my favorite flavored creamer. Only thing is, I don't find the clumps disgusting. Weird how I've grown fond of coffee with a few little clumps in it! Go ahead and try it - you might not find it disgusting.

I did try it.

And then I threw it out because it was gross.

nope nope nope- it's like cottage cheese- texture issue- just not happening.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member

[snip]

I did try it.

And then I threw it out because it was gross.

nope nope nope- it's like cottage cheese- texture issue- just not happening.

Yah - wasn't clear that I was responding more to OP; I saw that you tried it and didn't like it.

My clumps are nothing like cottage cheese (though I can't say I've eaten cottage cheese in 20+ years - blech!). More like jelly or very small pearl tea pearls or something. The first time I tried it, I was like "I can't get rid of these clumps." Now I sip morning coffee and find myself looking for little clumps.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I add some maca powder which contains yerba mate, a natural caffeine. I guess it's similar.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Before I throw the only-tried-one-scoop pot out (hemp protein mixed with water - vile with an added dash of bleugh!), has anyone tried it with coffee, or anything else that disguises the taste-of-grass-clipping-sludge-with-a-faint-hint-of-artificial-and-sickly-sweet-strawberries?

Can't have the whey ones as they're dairy based.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I usually like coffee black, but I like to have a protein shake and a coffee (and water too) before running in the morning (can't eat anything else but like to have something) and have lately been trying ice coffee (basically just chilled black coffee) mixed with an equal amount of protein powder plus milk. Basically I use about half of the milk I otherwise would, blend it, and pour it in the coffee.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    I put chocolate protein powder in my hot caramel coffee every morning and have not had any issues. I use whey protein powders. I have used pure protein brand and super advanced brand.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Thanks for the tips guys! Really enjoyed mixing my coffee with my shake. Tasted kinda like an iced cappuccino!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I make lattes with coffee and Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk (11g protein per cup and goes right into boiling hot coffee with no curdling).
  • Yes- I small cup of coffee blended with ice, i scoop vanilla protein and 1/3 cup of canned coconut milk.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    This is such a freaking good idea. I'm going to have to start making frappuccinos like this to keep me out of Starbucks, heh.

A little chocolate protein, ice, coffee and milk would make a fairly close analog to a mocha frappuccino (it'd be better with espresso but I'm not picky). Mmmmmmmmm.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    If you have bad tasting protein, I can't drink it.

If you have good protein, I ALWAYS put it in my coffee, along with marshmallows.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I don't know what you guys do to have the protein clump in a hot drink. I make hot chai tea and throw in a bit of vanilla protein to make it into a chai latte and it mixes just fine. Spoon only. Wut?
  • NicholeWrightHR
    NicholeWrightHR Posts: 3 Member
    Here's what I do and it is delicious! I make my own protein drinks ahead of time, usually chocolate flavor and put bananas all in a blender. Pour into individual bottles for taking with me on the go. So when I have my coffee in the morning, I just pour some of my protein shake into my coffee ... yummy!!
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Yes.

You just have to mix your protein powder with a bit of cold milk or water first until it forms a paste or liquid with no lumps and then add the coffee ☺ I LOVE chocolate protein powder with my coffee, guilt free mochas!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Not with coffee, but I mix protein powder, butter, peanut butter and almond flour and make protein balls. They're so good.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Natso29 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Yes.

You just have to mix your protein powder with a bit of cold milk or water first until it forms a paste or liquid with no lumps and then add the coffee ☺ I LOVE chocolate protein powder with my coffee, guilt free mochas!!

I have one of these https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiPsMzd1evSAhWXAyoKHQNRDskYABACGgJ0bQ&ohost=www.google.com.au&cid=CAASEuRo_sd_IRCiAupsghI6LSLBMQ&sig=AOD64_0qzf6S-bMzMH9Gh5qhGCphMeNSNQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjE2Mnd1evSAhWJlJQKHcoaCJgQvhcIIQ&adurl=

You can put hot coffee in it and shake it up and it doesn't explode. Also keeps hot for about 5 hours. Best thing I ever bought.