Potatoes potatoes, wtf do i do with them?

Options

Replies

• Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great in most homemade soups. The starch thickens them up and gives them a creamy consistency. Also, for all those on this post that are freaking out about potatoes - you don't have to consume all that many in a soup and there are lots of other good things you are enjoying at the same time (e.g. veg!). Fry an onion, add some stock with a potato and boil until the potato is soft, then just add whatever veg you've got lying about and boil for the bare minimum, whizz up and serve.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/peanut-stew.html

easy, cheap & delicious!
    on high rotation here!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can explain this well, but it's my favourite way.......cut the potato as if you were going to cut it into thin slices but don't cut all the way through....almost but leaving it still intact.. You will have kind of a fan effect. Brush it with olive oil and add salt and pepper if you like. Then bake it without foil for about 40 min. Very good!
  • Itslozzamate
    Options
    Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...

hahaha this ^^
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options

I chop 1" big pieces or so, toss in a ziploc with grapeseed oil, garlic, pepper, salt, and whatever other spices you desire. Roast them about 30 min or until tender.

Oh yeah, I am so doing this... very soon! Do you roast at about 425 degrees?
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Boil em' bake em' stick 'em in a stew
  • 185dengbiqi
    185dengbiqi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mash pototoes, with braised cabbage and bacon mixed in! (colcannon)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    200g potatoes cubed
    40-45g chorizo chopped
    3 garlic cloves
    3 chillies (variety down to personal preference)
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tin chopped plum tomatoes
    2 decent sized Chicken Breasts (about 200g each)
    Salt & Pepper
    1 tbls Olive Oil

Saute potatoes, chicken breast and chorizo with plenty of salt and cracked black pepper in the oil in a roasting tin for a minute or two to brown everything off.

Shove the tin in a pre-heated oven (220 C) for 5 mins.

Remove from oven and pour on tomatoes, chopped chilli, garlic and paprika over the lot and mix well. Shove back in oven for a further 40-45 mins (until chicken breast is done)

As a meal for 2 it works out at about 519 cals with 27/20/56g of C/F/P.

You can also double the amount of potatoes and leave out the chicken for a tasty side dish. (Reduce the cooking time the second time you shove it back in the oven to 25 mins if leaving out the chicken and it'll need less sauteing in the first stage, too)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious

You can also omit the potatoes and when it's done shred the chicken and mix the lot with cooked pasta.

It's kind of like a Spanish chicken arrabiata.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....

lololololol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

Potatoes are excellent and for most people they are very, very satiating.

That's true... Potatoes are often more satiating to me than even protein.

But back to the OP.. you can mash them up and make them into "pancakes". Put some into omelettes.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    treat potatoes like a dessert but that is exactly the way your body will handle a potato. Moderation is key with them if you are trying to lose weight. keep it to a half cup or under per meal if you must have them . potatos are full of potassium , if you eat the skin. Ice cream is full of calcium but that doesn't mean you should eat a ton of it to get your calcium. you can get potassium from tons of other things that wont help you pack on the lbs. potatoes mean nothing to extremely active people who use those carbs fast. those people can probably also eat an extra large portion of mcdonalds French fries everyday and not gain a single pound. lightly active and sedentary people that are actively trying to lose should really limit potatoes. I love it how all these super active gym nutz are consistently pushing the carb heavy foods on people who are not extremely active. eating those foods are how most of us ballooned up to the weight we are.
    You have to eat everything in moderation. I love potatoes. I am not as active, but I will eat a lot of potatoes and bananas for the potassium, even if they are higher in calories, I make it fit. All this response does, is make me want to workout more, so I can have more potatoes.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can explain this well, but it's my favourite way.......cut the potato as if you were going to cut it into thin slices but don't cut all the way through....almost but leaving it still intact.. You will have kind of a fan effect. Brush it with olive oil and add salt and pepper if you like. Then bake it without foil for about 40 min. Very good!

Hassleback potatoes.... delicious Because of the way they are cut they get crispier than regular roast potatoes.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you like an indian taste, these are really good.

Spicy Mumbai Potatoes!

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/meatless-mondays/2010/nov/29/meatless-monday-recipe-of/

Uses tofu to up the protein and spreads the carbs a bit further. I loved mine, and I'm not a good cook.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    send them to me. I've been thinking about potatoes lately. or shepherds pie. nummy
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....

lololololol

I've learned about potatoes and that's not exactly true. Potatoes are goooood.
  • ladyblue100
    ladyblue100 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Be like my father in law and have smashed potaotes with every dinner you have : D :noway:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How about double baked potatoes its a whole potatoe w a creamed center. I don't know how its done but its good
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Microwave them: Cut potatoes into bite size cubes, add diced onion, add a little olive oil (sometimes I just use a few pats of butter), salt and peper and cook for ten minutes or until you can fork them. Then cook them a few more minutes which will make them carmelized a little.........yum!