A Whole Person to Lose

Options
Hello, I am basically new here! I know that I really need to crack down! I have about 150lbs that i need to lose! So basically a whole person! I don't feel like I look as big as the scale reads, but i guess that is just me being blind to my own issues! I have three kids and am in nursing school. I am having trouble getting/staying motivated. Would love to hear some success stories of people who have lost the weight of another person.

Replies

• takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome - I have a lot to lose too and I've been breaking it down. I can't imagine losing 140lbs but I can definitely lose 5lbs...28 times!

I get what you mean about not feeling like you look the same as the scale suggests - I feel the same way. The 2 people who KNOW my numbers were both surprised too (mind you, the mean voice in my head says they are just saying that!).

Feel free to add me if you like - we got this!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I also have 150lbs to lose. I am down 15lbs so far, 9 if you only count this time that I am logging. You can add me if you want,, we can and will do it this time!!
  • gloria2222
    gloria2222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a total of 187 to lose to my first goal, (200 pounds then I will decide how much lower.)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting on a very exciting journey to take care of yourself and be a better you! There are many wonderful and supportive people on here who will be happy to walk alongside you in your journey.

I lost about 70 lbs (then evened out at about 65 lbs lost, which I like better), which is an average 8 year old girl! I think about that often and marvel at how I carried that girl around for years and years. I sort of feel badass, lol. Seriously though, it is so exciting to lose that much weight. You can do it and you won't be sorry!!

I wanted to speak real quick about what you are experiencing in that you don't feel like you look as big as the scale suggests.

This is a phenomenon called "body dysmorphia". This is basically a disconnect between how you see yourself through your own eyes and what reality actually is. Dysmorphia can go both ways: sometimes skinny people see themselves as fat (this is the most common kind) and sometimes overweight people still see themselves as they were before they got big. Either way, there is a disconnect from reality. I had the same problem in both directions both before I lost the weight and after. It is difficult to overcome, but I did it, so it IS possible!

My theory on this is that deep in the backs of our minds, we know that we should not be overeating as we do. We feel terrible deep down that we let ourselves get this way. We are afraid of our out of control behavior and we don't know how to stop it. We are ashamed of ourselves and we sometimes want to hide away. But we don't know how to stop eating.

The pain and stress of that emotional condition creates an extremely pressurized environment in our internal worlds. It produces a lot of strong emotion, which is difficult to handle. Therefore, we have to kind of push it down, or turn our heads from it, ignore it. Or else it will consume us. And we still have to function in normal life - we don't have the energy nor time to deal with it 24/7.

The more we "know" we are doing unhealthy things to ourselves and yet we continue to do those abusive things, the more disconnect is created. We drift farther and farther away from what is real and we disappear into what I'll call a fantasy. The fantasy says things like, "oh...I'm not that bad"... "well I screwed up this morning already so I'll just go ahead and eat terribly today and then just start over tomorrow".... "I can stop eating anytime I want".... "I can totally get back into that bathing suit by summer! I'll start right after I finish this bag of cookies.".... "All I have to do is join Weight Watchers, the gym, etc. and I'll be fine".... And so on and so forth.

Over time, even when we look in the mirror, which is too painful to *really* face, we can deceive our actual vision to see a skinnier person - so that we can cope with the horror of what we're doing to ourselves....

IMHO, the first step to losing large amounts of weight is to face oneself and admit what we are doing to ourselves. Admitting we have a problem with food and resolving to go seek out answers, healing, etc. Resolving that we'll be honest about how much we eat (by tracking). Resolving to be honest with others about how we live (by admitting our temptations and missteps). Resolving to do whatever it takes to care for ourselves, to face the difficulty of that, and yet to do it anyway. And so on. Honesty is the first step.

I hope this gives you a little insight into the confusion you may be feeling when you look in the mirror. I suggest having someone take photos of you so that you can get a better grasp on how big you've *actually* become. There is something about a photograph that cuts through the spell we've fallen under and helps us *really* see ourselves for what we are. Look at the photo. Absorb it. And commit to love yourself anyway, to love yourself by finally taking care of yourself no matter what. It's a powerful exercise.

Good luck - you'll do great!
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you as well. I need to lose about half of me. I've lost 19 lbs in about 2 1/2 months, which I know is pretty fast, but seems so slow when you have more than a hundred to go. I'm trying to remain patient.
  • Jen_1964
    Jen_1964 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, needing to lose a whole person and probably a quarter of another one. I have been eating healthy and logging everything I eat, which has helped tremendously. Making me very conscious of what I eat. I just started working out as well. Would love to join your team of motivators and encouragers! You can do this.

Jen
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing an adult person in body weight too. Like one of the folks said, don't focus on the large number -- look at the small goals, and they'll add up. While I've made a number of changes, they're all sustainable changes -- I'm in this for the long run. The weight didn't suddenly appear-- it piled on year by year. So it's going to take time to leave, and I want to make sure I don't gain it back. I've found that logging my food intake is key. Going out with friends? Great! Plan ahead (and the day after, if necessary).

We're in this together! Each journey starts with the first step. Then another. Then another...
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Im in the process of losing an adult person in weight too. But the big numbers are too big to think about. 120lbs is a lot. It's too much to think about all in one go. But I can think about losing 5lbs 24 times or 2lbs 60 times. Little goals are all you need. You'll get there. Have faith and take it one step at a time.
    Today you are one step closer than you were yesterday.

Much love. xx
  • SpiritScienceSelf
    Options
    I will agree with the small goals! I do 15 at a time. Worked for me the first time I lost a bunch of weight. (Unfortunately my food addict self gained it all back. But I'm back again!) I have 150 to lose. (or 15, ten times. :) ) Good luck to you! Feel free to add me!
  • Ritterkev
    Options
    Good for you! You are my inspiration for today!
  • JennyJiggle
    JennyJiggle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It can be done - just take it a day or a week at a time, whatever works best for you :smile:.

I find it helps not to get too hung up on the numbers, after all every little loss takes you so much closer to where you want to be! Try to find enjoyment in your journey, it's yours after all. There's plenty to feel great about in between deciding to make a change and reaching your ultimate goal.

Welcome and best of luck!! :heart:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I know those feels.

just a few tips?
    Try this:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I know those feels.

just a few tips?
    Try this:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

This post should be "stickied" and given out to every new person who signs up.... :-)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    This post should be "stickied" and given out to every new person who signs up.... :-)

it's stickied :) I just don't trust that everyone finds it.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Yeah - I was being ironical... haha. Still a great post though.
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I wish I would have seen it when I first started!
  • ewhip17
    Options

I wish I would have seen it when I first started!

Me too!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When i started my journy i had 130.9 pounds to lose. i am new to MFP but I have lost 67 so far (i think i said 68 in some of my old posts. Sorry. pffft math).
    So that leaves 64.9 pounds to go from today.
    You can do it. Enjoy every victory... and if you feel down pick up something equivalent to the weight you have lost (10 pound weights?!) and remind yourself most people never manage to put a concerted effort to lose weight and you are. That's a victory too!
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In November 2012 I started out with 168lb to lose, 20 months later I have 12lb left to lose.

It can be done..... Good luck xXx