So, do you ever......

Options
Angimom
Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
Compliment other walkers/runners when passing them? I might only pass 3-4 in my 5 mile run and some of them look totally beat (I am sure I do) and I love to give a "'Great Job" or "Keep it up" or "You got this!". I love hearing these things when I am sweating it out, so I just wondered how everyone else feels?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always wave and smile or nod. Never verbal really!
  • Angimom
    Options
    2 questions:

1. Do you ever say anything?
    2. Would you like it if the person you are passing did?
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A nod. A smile. A friendly acknowledgement.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    so i have just started running again after gaining back everything i lost before when i was on here and serious. when i was running and lost all that weight the first time, i was running in 5k's. i could barely run some of them due to my size. Some of my favorite things were the support i was given by other runners. some runners gave me the strength to keep going while i was trying to run those 5k's

after i had worked my way to being able to run a full 5k without stopping even though i wasn't the fastest by any means i could run 30 mins without stopping. i was giving the same support to others i saw who could use a little encouragement. if it was a simple keep it up or a smile and a good job. just something to help them get thru the demons trying to hold them down.
  • tinalemon
    tinalemon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I walk about every night down our road and I always smile and wave at the cars zipping by me...just thanking them for not running over me. LOL
    But seriously, when I do see anyone biking or running, I always speak and try to encourage them. :)
  • Stacius
    Stacius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I'm out running and biking I do the whole nod and smile thing. Though, there are some people out there that just avoid my eye contact all together. I couldn't give words of encouragement though as I'm normally too buggered to speak! Lol. If someone said something encouraging to me it would make my day :)
  • qmamabear
    qmamabear Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I always smile/wave/nod to fellow runners and bikers. I love it when people do the same. I normally don't say anything because I'm blasting my music. It is essential to keep me going.

One thing that happened a few days ago was a car was coming up to an intersection I was crossing. As I was checking to make sure the driver saw me, he did the wave and smile. Somehow I knew he was a runner and that made my morning and keep me going a few more minutes! Now, I'll always make sure to do the same when I see someone while driving.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm out on the track every evening as long as the weather holds up. There is always the same core group of people/families I see every night. I'm friendly so I'm the one that smiles and waves even when I'm zoned out with my music...only if there is eye contact.

I rarely start a conversation however. I'm there to sweat and get my 3 - 5 miles in.

There are some people that don't speak to anyone and I can respect that too!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I run inside on my treadmill so I would hope I don't see any one I don't know running. One thing I wan't to do so bad is burn some songs to a CD like "Eye of the tiger" and "danger zone" Then ride in my car and follow someone running or biking blasting it with my windows down for encouragement :D
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I learned on the mfp forums that if I ever acknowledge another person exercising that I'm a creeper. I also learned here that if I don't understand what someone else is doing while working out that it's perfectly acceptable to push them into dumbbell racks.

So I never smile or give a thumbs up to another runner because I'm not a creeper. Plus I don't like running because there's never a dumbbell rack in the trail when you really need one.
  • PSGPolly
    PSGPolly Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have been so encouraged by the kind "well done" comments especially by "real" runners when I am plodding along. It gives me energy and I feel myself running taller. I find it hard to do the same to others- mainly because I'm shy and don't want to make a fool of myself but also because I usually have no breath :tongue:
  • Angimom
    Options
    I run inside on my treadmill so I would hope I don't see any one I don't know running. One thing I wan't to do so bad is burn some songs to a CD like "Eye of the tiger" and "danger zone" Then ride in my car and follow someone running or biking blasting it with my windows down for encouragement :D QUOTE

You crack me up!

But, secretly I would love it if someone did this to me!!! LMAO!
  • Angimom
    Options
    I am going to give words of encouragement more often! Thanks for the replies everyone!

Happy Thursday! Almost Friday!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    smile, maybe wave......I always want to ask "how far are you going today?" but most people have their earbuds in and I imagine an awkward shouted conversation as we get further and further apart:

-"what's that?......"
    -"..........I said how far you going?"
    -" how what?............."
    -"...................how far"?
    "to where...............................?"
    "..................................doesn't matter, bye"
    "what?......................................................"
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I run the same trail about twice a week. I see a lot of the same people. I just give a wave and a smile. When it is someone new there is always that awkwardness if they are going to wave back, lol. I would rather not start a conversation though and not sure about saying a passing comment. It would not bother me but some people do not even wave so they would probably rather not be spoken too as well.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The only time I give encouragement or say something to someone is if I'm watching a race.

I will nod at people if I see them when I'm out running or biking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Compliment other walkers/runners when passing them? I might only pass 3-4 in my 5 mile run and some of them look totally beat (I am sure I do) and I love to give a "'Great Job" or "Keep it up" or "You got this!". I love hearing these things when I am sweating it out, so I just wondered how everyone else feels?

Most of the time acknowledgement is a nod or saying good morning/ evening.

The other comments are going to drive an internal rant, but they might get an acknowledging nod or smile. Broadly because someone saying it has no idea whether I'm having a good or bad session, how long I've been out, whether I'm in a fast interval or a recovery or whether I'm ahead, on or behind goal pace.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I personally don't wave or nod, if i see other runners/cyclist, i just make sure i don't bump into them. I go outside, put my headphones, and try to clear my head after hard day at work. I am not there to "make anybody's day".
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I will nod if we happen to glance at each other. I don't say anything at all. If someone said "keep it up" or "you got this" I would be like:
    you-dont-know-me-like-that.gif

I don't like people in general, so that might play into it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I always smile/nod especially on bike trails, but I'd be totally annoyed if someone made an "encouraging comment" to me...I am sure it's my own insecurities on that, but I'd feel like they were being condescending.