Panera bread

Options
I think it is gretat that Panera Bread has all there caloires posted on their menu board. Makes lunch easy

Replies

• 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be great if more restaurants would do that too! It could help Americas obesity problems if we could all make better choices where ever we went!:smile:
  • jlhanks
    jlhanks Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree!! More restaurants should do that...makes things so much easier!!
  • mizzjessie
    Options
    I agree! Love eating at Panera. Just went there today. I love their website as well. You can take things off or substitue and get a new calorie count.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I go there often for lunch.

Today, I had their You Pick 2: Thai Chicken Salad (200 cals) and Black Bean soup (110 cals). 310 calories for lunch. Yuuuummmmy!
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    i looooove panera!! i've been craving an asiago cheese bagel toasted with cream cheese allllll week!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think it is lame... in NYC every chain type place has to do that. Do I appreciate it most of the time, yes.

But I see a lot of fat people still lined up at BK and McD's.... and IF I decide to grab a donut and coffee at Dunkin, I don't want to know the calories!
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That actually just became a law-and you will start seeing this more often. Panera is volunteer, but now others will be forced to. They are still working on getting the information to the businesses, but it was passed. If you have 20 or more restaurants, then you will have to post it. Not sure when you have to have it implemented, but i think it is the end of this year or next.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Around here (The Valley in southern CA) 90% of restaurants have the calories right next to the menu item. Subway, Olive Garden, Red Robin...McD's. It's a law, I believe. (Here anyway). I love it.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I will be happy when a few of our usual haunts (Friday's comes to mind) have to post the counts. My son LOVES to go there but I hate going there because I never know what's okay to eat beyond like one or two items.
  • Vonna67
    Options
    Funny the first time I went there I thought it was the prices..LOL...but it is a great thing for them to do!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Around here (The Valley in southern CA) 90% of restaurants have the calories right next to the menu item. Subway, Olive Garden, Red Robin...McD's. It's a law, I believe. (Here anyway). I love it.

It sure is a law in California :) Where in the valley do you live? I'm up there all the time!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I think it is lame... in NYC every chain type place has to do that. Do I appreciate it most of the time, yes.

But I see a lot of fat people still lined up at BK and McD's.... and IF I decide to grab a donut and coffee at Dunkin, I don't want to know the calories!

I think it's good. I don't think people are aware exactly how many calories are in one of those meals. They know it's a lot but not how much.

Also, no one can sue a freakin fast food place for "making them fat" any longer. The calories are RIGHT THERE and you (general you) still chose to eat it. More accountability.
  • Amberina23
    Amberina23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love that Panera does that too. One of my favorite places, and the totals make decision making so much easier. Too bad that to-die-for mac and cheese is sooooo high!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    They passed a bill in the health care law that will require all restaurant chains with 20 or more locations to post their caloric values in 2011. Not sure when it's going to happen but I am anxiously awaiting.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/287794-nutrition-facts-required-for-fast-food/
  • enworb77
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I love Panera, especially the asiago cheese bagel (330cal), but there are a lot of restaurants that have their nutrition facts available. If you don't see it readily, ask your server. If they don't know, it's probably locatable on the internet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    We stopped going to Ruby Tuesday a few years back when they posted the calorie & nutrition info on their menu. It took all the fun out of going. :laugh:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    OMG.. always go to Panera and thought I was eating healthy for the longest time..
    UNTIL they started posting the calorie counts... wow reality check... will still go there but now I know what the truly healthy choices are!
  • ckuzman
    Options
    I love their food. Only down side is the food is loaded with sodium.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My favorite Panera Bread meal is the Pick 2 with the asiago and roast beef sandwich and their house salad, hold the dressing. Instead I put lemon juice on it. I think they give me a choice of apple or something else. I take the apple. It's not horrible on calories or sodium. There's something like 600mg in the sandwich, but if you don't add to it with a bunch of salad dressing, it's ok. That's more sodium than I prefer in a meal, but, heh, it is a meal out, right?:bigsmile:
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, within the next few months all major food chains will have calories posted.