I'm done, I quit.

Options

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Quitting smoking was the best decision I made for my health and I LOVE the fact that all of that is behind me. It'll be 10 years this month for me!!
    Nothing like getting your sense of taste and smell back too. It is hard to believe that smoking takes so much away from you and your family.
  • Ebonessa
    Ebonessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great decision! I jumped in to say "No, don't quit, you can do it, let's be friends and help each other on MFP" but I am very happy you didn't mean that! Quitting smoking is one of the most important decisions of your life, and if I may suggest something?

As much as saving to pay off student loans is admirable, with the first money that you save, buy something for yourself. Something you can see every day, to remind you how awesome you are, and now also much more healthy since you quit this bad bad habit :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great decision. If you can survive week 1 with its nicotine cravings, after that if you still feel addicted, it isn't the nicotine talking anymore. So if you feel fidgety then, maybe find some new hobby or such to keep your mind occupied. Good luck!
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    Whoop, whoop.....you are amazing! :)
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing choice and commitment to make for yourself, your body, and your wallet!!

On September 14th, I will be smoke free for 7 years. The BEST decision I have ever made in my life. I am so much happier and healthy. And, unfortunately there is becoming a stigma attached to smokers. It's a great feeling to not have that following me around. I did use Chantix to quit. I had an AMAZING experience with it. If you (or anyone else) would like to PM me about my experience, don't hesitate. It worked wonderfully for me. But, everyone is different.

Keep it up and when it gets really hard, just keep in mind how much more healthy you will become from beating this habit :)

Good luck!!
  • buffalospiritdancer1
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congratulations!! :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was an up-to-3-packs-a-day smoker for 35 years. I was not a social smoker or an oral smoker or a something-to-do-with my hands smoker. I was a cigarette addict. I smoked my cigarettes down to the filter. Left ashtrays full if there were long butts in them so I could have the old stale cigarette later. I was so addicted that I would wake up in the middle of the night for a cigarette, and before my feet hit the floor in the morning I would have lighted up. Sometimes I would have two cigarettes burning just to have one closer as I moved around. I quit 15 years ago cold turkey. The thought of never having my "friend" again in my life was so depressing. Afterall, cigarettes had gotten me through happy, sad, sleepless, and stressful times. So, I had to give myself permission to smoke first. Everytime I would want a cigarette, my self-talk was "You are a grown-up. If you want to smoke you can. You just can't have this one." Maybe 10 minutes, or 10 seconds later, I would have to give myself the self-talk again. Pretty soon, the time got longer and longer. I never have had that cigarette and know if I do, I'll be a smoker again by the time the ash hits the filter. Even after 14 years, I still occasionally crave a cigarette totally out of the blue, but I still give myself my little talk.

My life opened up after I quit. I had never traveled much because I could not sit on a plane too long. I used the money I saved and started traveling. I could sit on a plane for trans-oceanic flights. I also could better afford them. I also could expand my circle of friends because I didn't have to worry about them not liking smoke. I know I must smell better. :huh:

Good luck to you. You can do this!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I used nicotine patches & over the course of a couple of months, was able to kick it. I used the 'step down' patches where you start with a higher dosage of nicotine & it decreases as you get on.

However, the urge to not have a cigarette didn't got away completely until about 4 years or so later =/
    It was easier not to give in, the more time that passed.

For a little perspective, I'm 45 & started smoking in the late 70's when butts were .65 a pack & it wasn't unusual to see kids smoking. I've never smoked while pregnant, just didn't feel the urge to, but certainly took it back up as soon as babies were born & celebratory drinks were flowing.

I didn't smoke around my kids & used to hide cigarettes outside in the garage, I took the garbage out a lot :laugh:
    I just felt guilty smoking around them, so I couldn't even do it outside.

Anyway.....I don't miss it, but I had to find something else to do in the car, on the phone & to basically punctuate everything that happens in daily life :wink:

I still like the way cigarette smoke smells though....don't judge me :tongue:
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I've never smoked, thank God (because I don't know if I could break another bad habit!) but I saw how hard it was on my husband to quit. Quitting smoking and getting in shape AND paying off student loans early, you sound like a guy who has it together!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    good for you, and best of luck with your plan.

years ago when i quit smoking, i just stopped. it wasn't always easy - i discovered that smoking gives you something to do with your hands, and that was actually quite rough for me. did i want a cigarette? sure, i did - but i'd get myself a tasty iced tea or go for a walk whenever i wanted a cigarette. i found that walking or jogging enough to breathe a little hard seemed to take care of the craving best.

I found that exercising more did the same thing for me too when I was cutting back way back when, and then trying to quit. A running and exercising high is much better than a nicotine one!

I do like that iced tea idea...luckily I just got huge 12-pack bottles of Snapple for a steal at the store recently! :)

One of my buddies would carry around toothpicks and chew on them if he started itching for a smoke. He felt like if he occupied his hands and teeth it made things easier.
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Great choice! I smoked for over 15 years. I quit smoking 5/4/12 and I quit cold turkey. I had tried to quit for years or at least I was saying I was quitting, not really trying. I woke up one day and thought I'm sick of smoking and I just don't want to do this anymore and so I didn't do it. I'm living proof that if you really, truly want to do something you can do it if you put your mind to it.

I have not smoked since that day. I am constantly around people who smoke and I thought it would encourage me to lapse but it didn't. You can do it and I applaud you for making this choice. Trust me you'll feel so much better. Good luck:smile:
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!! I don't know you but I know you can do this! My husband and I quit together two and a half years ago. I had been smoking for 18 years (I started when I was 15. How sad!) but after we decided to quit, we set a date (like you have) and neither of us have smoked since. It was extremely hard at first but we used nicotine gum for a little while to get through the cravings. We also put money aside each week (like you're planning) and we actually went on a short trip to Paris with the money we saved from not smoking. Unfortunately, this was before I started on mfp so I snacked a lot after quitting and started really gaining weight. One thing led to another and I ended up here and now I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my adult life!!

Please feel free to add me if you need extra support...plus, I would love to know how you get on. Good luck!! Once again, I know you can do this!
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good luck....you can do it !!!:flowerforyou:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Deciding to do it (and meaning it) is probably the hardest part.

I smoked since I was 16, quit cold turkey for 2 years in my mid 20's, then made the mistake of having "just one." My "just one" cigarette turned back into a pack and half a day habit within a year.

Nearly a decade later...

I quit in January of this year, again cold turkey. I made the decision to not have "just one" ever. Not a puff, not light anyone's cigarette for them, nada. Never again. I loved cigarettes and smoking too much that I will become its slave if I don't cut them out of my life completely.

One problem, however is that my husband still smokes. Luckily he is understanding and doesn't smoke around me, but I do get to see him excuse himself to go smoke, and I do find it hard sometimes being left while he goes off to smoke. But that passes once he comes back and reeks. Cigarettes smoke on others is not nearly as offensive when you're addicted to cigarettes. When you're not, my God, it's so offensive. Any temptation to smoke goes away when I smell him come back. And I tell him he stinks (because he does, truly, smell awful), and he just says, "I know. Sorry."

He says he smokes less since I've quit smoking, and is working on gradually getting down to no cigarettes. But I know I can't pressure him to quit, he has to decide to quit, just as I decided to quit.

Good luck to you, stay strong as you get over the 3 day hump. It's a lot easier after that, and easier yet as more time passes.
  • johnprimeaux
    johnprimeaux Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome - I quit smoking over 8 years ago after 26 years of smoking on and off. I decided it was not cost effective when I had my third son in 2006. I decided on the day he was born that my family deserved a better dad, one that was healthier, and one that didn't stink like an ashtray. I also placed a 5 gallon plastic water bottle in my room to put money into it if I ever got a craving. Then I placed my habit at the foot of the Cross. I asked God to take the addiction away. That bottle stayed empty for years. I began putting money in it last year when the kids started asking to go to the beach. They never had to see their daddy smoke. They see their older brothers smoke, but not their dad.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Phil 4:13
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Excellent decision.

I quit in April, 2003, after smoking for more than a decade. I had the help of a drug called "Zyban." I also assuaged my withdrawal irritation by playing violent video games. Both helped a lot.

You can do it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    LOL. Good for you! Best thing I ever did.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Awesome job making the decision! Most of the time that's the hardest part. I quick 10/31/13 so coming up on a year soon here. and I'll just tell you real quick what worked for me this time (Because it was probably the 10th time i'd tried to quit).

First of all, the reasons for my renewed desire to quit smoking were as follows:
    1.) Too damn expensive/too much work (I was rolling my own because they had gotten so expensive)
    2.) I actually sick of the smell. I used to enjoy it so much, but at this point it had become nauseating.
    3.) And this was the most important one... my boyfriend and I had decided we were interested in trying to have a baby in the near future. I wanted to quit smoking and get rid of those chemicals long before that happened and have the healthiest pregnancy possible.

Well, we tried for a couple months and then stopped trying because through quitting smoking I gained an additional 40 lbs onto my already large frame and I decided I wanted to lose some weight before getting pregnancy (both for health and vanity reasons). Then we got engaged... so now it'll be another year and a half or so before baby.

How I did it:
    I decided over a month ahead of time what day I was quitting. I read as much as I could and just tried to get used to the idea that I would no longer be a smoker. I stocked up on nicotine gum because from previous experience the patches had bad effects on me. I decided I'd only chew the gum when I got a craving I didn't think I could handle. I also bought a new hookah, because that was not at all the same as cigarettes to me. Oh. And I decided that I was NOT going to limit my food intake until I was comfortable (hence the 40 lbs. Still don't regret that decision.)

When Oct 31 came, I had my boyfriend throw away everything that was left over. All the filters, tobacco, etc. He got rid of the rolling machines, the ash trays, everything. I woke up that next morning a non-smoker. I chewed maybe 3 pieces of gum and smoked the hookah when I was drinking (still do). And I just.... quit. It was awesome. I had cravings. I was a HUGE B for like 2 weeks, but everyone around me was forewarned so they expected it and supported me regardless.

I have since smoked a few cigarettes here and there. I'm not proud of that. It's usually when I'm out of the house drinking... But so far, I've not had the urge to buy a pack or pick it up regularly again. It feels great. Especially when you look back and go "Wow, I did that. I quit smoking. I'm the ****."

Anyway, sorry so long. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

TL;DR
    Plan ahead. Get rid of everything smoking related. Warn everyone around you. Focus only on quitting smoking, nothing else. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in August of 1998 just after I graduated from college. Like you I had a plan. I had a box of Nicorette as a backup plan but after I read the directions it scared me because it was more nicotine than I was getting from actually smoking.

So the first day I quit my now ex-husband and I left for vacation. I hate flying, it's one of my biggest stressors. First thing in the morning we go to the airport and fly to Orlando, FL. Then we drive for 2 hours to our final destination on the beach, find out our room is not ready so we hit a beach bar and start drinking.

I lasted through my three biggest triggers in the first 12 hours that I quit so after that I knew I could make it through anything.

I did have cravings for years afterwards though and will still have dreams that I start again. At the same time I'm one of those annoying "ex-smokers" that cannot stand the smell of smoke.

The biggest thing is replacing the smoking behavior with another behavior. For me, it was doing something with my hands. For others, it's chewing gum, etc. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing and I've never looked back.

Good luck!
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I don't smoke, but I tend to drink sometimes. So I'm cutting that out for a while as well. You rock!