What's my body fat% (with pics)?

Options
Hi Folks,

I'm curious what my BF% is, and I don't have callipers. My scale says I'm 25% BF, and I know scales are not that accurate. My best friend came over and it said she was 12% BF, which didn't seem accurate, so now I'm curious. Also, what is a healthy/optimal body fat %? I've got a little padding, and don't think I'm overweight.

For context, I'm:

5'4"
125 pounds
Lift weights 3x/week

281a4930-cfc6-4c25-82e0-05e7c2444364_zpscfb8e08d.png

Replies

• SinCosTan
    Options
    The only way I see doing this by picture is by comparing to another picture.

http://www.nutristrength.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/body-fat-percentage-men-women.png
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't think it's 25%, but I don't know. What I do know is that you look amazing! Killer back!!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you were 12% BF you'd be a LOT more muscular than what you are. I'd say 20% maybe?
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're 25%, I'd say around 20%?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I was thinking 20%. Which is top of 'athletic' range and bottom of 'normal'. Bikini competitor!

Perfect! Best of both worlds.

Congratulations x
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As a female @12% BF you'd be dangerously low! Her body would not be functioning the way a normal female's would (i.e. lose the ability to menstruate) . I agree that around 20% is a good estimate and you look great!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'd say who cares cuz you look fantastic!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you were 12% BF you'd be a LOT more muscular than what you are. I'd say 20% maybe?

She didn't say she was 12% she said her friend thinks she (her friend) is 12%.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd say somewhere in the 23-25% range...
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'd say somewhere in the 23-25% range...

ditto
  • Sthere
    Sthere Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My guess is 20%

I don't have a scale but there is a website where you can enter your height, weight and waist size and it came up with 24% for me? I am actually same height as you, half an inch taller and 2 pounds heavier than you, but you have a lot more muscle than me!

And you are perfect I listen to a health radio station and they say it's really not healthy for women to be less than 20% in their child bearing years! You look fit and still a woman!!! Keep it up!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    try this website: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/mbf/

personally, you look like less than 20%, more like around 18 or 17?
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Im bigger than you and im 22.8% Id say your 17% - 18%
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Looks like the median is 20%, which I will take happily :)
  • missemmapeel
    Options
    The only way I see doing this by picture is by comparing to another picture.

http://www.nutristrength.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/body-fat-percentage-men-women.png

This was really helpful, looks like 20-25% to me based on these photos :)
  • missemmapeel
    Options
    As a female @12% BF you'd be dangerously low! Her body would not be functioning the way a normal female's would (i.e. lose the ability to menstruate) . I agree that around 20% is a good estimate and you look great!

Thanks. And that's what got me curious. My friend is 135 lbs, 5'6" and lovely, slim but not low BF. She is curvy and just perfect.

Also, thanks on the compliment. Two kids later and I've got the body I never had in my early 20's (thank you MFP) :)
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You are NOT 25%. I just got my body fat tested - the kind where you get submerged in a tank of water - which is supposed to be very accurate - and I am 25%. According to the calculations, I have about 13 pounds to lose to get to where I want to be which is 20% (I am 5'10", 166 lbs, 34 y/o female). I can tell you for sure that I have more "padding" than you, so you are definitely less than 25%. I would say just by your pictures alone, you are closer to 18-20 range, which is totally healthy, and not over-weight.
  • missemmapeel
    Options
    You are NOT 25%. I just got my body fat tested - the kind where you get submerged in a tank of water - which is supposed to be very accurate - and I am 25%. According to the calculations, I have about 13 pounds to lose to get to where I want to be which is 20% (I am 5'10", 166 lbs, 34 y/o female). I can tell you for sure that I have more "padding" than you, so you are definitely less than 25%. I would say just by your pictures alone, you are closer to 18-20 range, which is totally healthy, and not over-weight.

Hey thanks- that is about as accurate as you can get, measurement wise. And we are the same age :)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I agree with 20%. You look amazing. You are muscular but still smooth- if that makes any sense, lol. This is the lowest I would want to go in BF as a woman, if I could ever get there. But that's just my personal preference.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I vote 20% as well!