Healthy amount of exercise?

Options
I've just started this this week. I'm really unfit and I'd much rather do exercise than cut down on what I eat (I don't eat that much and do intend to CUT DOWN on junk food but, let's face it, life's too short to be counting calories) and in the process be healthier and fitter. My whole family are quite sporty and I'd quite like to fit in for the first time in 20 years. I'd like to lose almost 2 stone in the next 5 or 6 months before summer, which I think is quite realistic, if I keep going.

But I've got to the stage where, after a week of pushing myself, my muscles are really sore even with properly warming up and stretching afterwards. My boyfriend told me I should give my body a day or two's rest because it's not used to this amount of strain, but I'm scared that if I stop while I'm on my motivated streak I'll never get back into it. Exercise is such a struggle for me, it's a wonder I've kept to my regime for even a week.

Any tips for me?

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You do need rest days, but most importantly, I think you need to rethink that bit about life being too short to count calories. Exercise will help lose some weight, but to get the full benefits you need to seriously refine your eating and calorie counting is an integral part of that.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Do rest because our muscles recuperate and became stronger when we take a day or two off.

However, you can exercise until you are blue in the face and sore beyond repair, but if you don't watch what you eat and count calories your weight loss will be awfully slow. Weight loss results are 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Good luck!
  • worthy16
    worthy16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles is not always a result of too much working out - sometimes it's poor diet. It all has to be in balance. You may not be getting enough protein/iron to support the workouts you are doing. You only need a rest if you are doing EXTREMELY INTENSE strength training.

Research which foods are best to eat before working out, and which ones are best to eat after working out in order to replenish your muscles.

It's not all about counting calories - food is fuel, not just something to fill the stomach. So don't concentrate on "how much", but more of "what" you are eating.