Logging Exercise

Options
Hey everyone!

So I'd like to be able to keep track of my exercises on MFP, but I have a problem. I'm using the TDEE -20% method, which means my daily calories already account for my gym visits. If I log any exercises, it gives me calories back that are already included in my daily allowance. Is there a way to get around this, or will I just have to manually log my workouts in a journal or something?

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You can log the exercises but then change the calories burned to 1.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Do you want to log your exercises to have a record of what work you accomplished, or do you want to know the approximate calories burned?

If the former there are many apps that will track your exercises... I use the Fitness Buddy app, but there are others. On that note, I am sure others can make some recommendations too.

If the later, then I dunno.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You can log the exercises but then change the calories burned to 1.

This
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Do you want to log your exercises to have a record of what work you accomplished, or do you want to know the approximate calories burned?

If the former there are many apps that will track your exercises... I use the Fitness Buddy app, but there are others. On that note, I am sure others can make some recommendations too.

I definitely just want to keep a record of my physical activity. I'll check Fitness buddy out. Thanks =)
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, guys!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

I definitely just want to keep a record of my physical activity. I'll check Fitness buddy out. Thanks =)
    It's really an awesome thing to do. When I can accomplish my work sets in strict form, I make a note to myself to bump the weight up for next time. Likewise, if I get too eager and form suffers, I will make a note in Fitness Buddy to deload and train lighter the next week, or maintain, until I meet or exceed the work sets. Recording your workouts , like calories, helps troubleshoot in the future. And heck, why not record all that effort otherwise all that work is rather ephemeral isn't it?

Before smart phones I used to log my workouts on paper. I'm a designer so I even made forms to record my workouts. I still have them all in a 6" binder.

One note about the FB app, it does not link with MFP. The other MFP app, MapMyFitness, you can log your sets and it will give a caloric estimate, but its not very user friendly and you can not design whole workouts to follow week-in and week-out.

Currently I am plotting out an 18 week program. I will be using the fitness buddy app to record them as I build the sequence of those workouts in six week increments.