WATER RETENTION ISSUE

Options
2»

Replies

• c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    okay,
    clearly you have a more serious problem then just some water retention if there is edema in your ankles and u got a diuretic.
    i would suggest not drinking so much water, only when you are thirsty, since the point is to get rid of the water weight.
    you shouldn't be over hydrated on a diuretic, and make sure you take enough electrolytes, because diuretics tend to wash all of it out.

btw. hydrocholothiazide is a diuretic.

This is seriously bad advice. OP is taking a diuretic without doctor's supervision. Drinking less water could lead to dehydration.

You don't drink less water to relieve water rentention, you drink more. If you're dehydrated, your body will just continue to retain water as it needs water for a multitude of processes.

no, this is not bad advice coming from someone who is being professionally trained in the medical field, patients who have edema, due to congestive heart failure, hypertension or kidney problems should not be drinking excess amount of water, because they are already over hydrated. but should still drink enough not to get dehydrated obviously. the fluid that builds up in the body is located in the connective tissue, and cannot be washed out with fluid. a common misconception. it can actually harm a patient to drink more water because it can exacerbate their condition. i said drink when thirsty, not to not drink at all and if i were to get specific a person should drink less then they pee out in a day, so on average a person pees 2 L they should only drink 1L, this is just a example. that is if they have a medical condition requiring them to do so. otherwise if you are healthy drink as much as you want, obviously within a normal limit. :smile:

it all depends on what the doctor wants/ what their condition is.

this person needs to see a doctor and get their health in control because what they are doing can be harmful if not supervised :frown:
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to have similar problems especially with feet and ankles, then I cut down on all carbs, refined sugars, processed foods etc, basically nearly all carbs apart from veggies that grow above ground. Within a week all water retention was gone, quite amazing and no problems since. Not sure if it will work for you, but I read carbs make you retain water.
  • betojr85
    betojr85 Posts: 10
    Options
    okay,
    clearly you have a more serious problem then just some water retention if there is edema in your ankles and u got a diuretic.
    i would suggest not drinking so much water, only when you are thirsty, since the point is to get rid of the water weight.
    you shouldn't be over hydrated on a diuretic, and make sure you take enough electrolytes, because diuretics tend to wash all of it out.

If you look at my diary, im eatring low low sodium, eating very healthy and excesrcising everyday. but in over a week i actually gained 2 pounds... this is stressful..

This is seriously bad advice. OP is taking a diuretic without doctor's supervision. Drinking less water could lead to dehydration.

You don't drink less water to relieve water rentention, you drink more. If you're dehydrated, your body will just continue to retain water as it needs water for a multitude of processes.

no, this is not bad advice coming from someone who is being professionally trained in the medical field, patients who have edema, due to congestive heart failure, hypertension or kidney problems should not be drinking excess amount of water, because they are already over hydrated. but should still drink enough not to get dehydrated obviously. the fluid that builds up in the body is located in the connective tissue, and cannot be washed out with fluid. a common misconception. it can actually harm a patient to drink more water because it can exacerbate their condition. i said drink when thirsty, not to not drink at all and if i were to get specific a person should drink less then they pee out in a day, so on average a person pees 2 L they should only drink 1L, this is just a example. that is if they have a medical condition requiring them to do so. otherwise if you are healthy drink as much as you want, obviously within a normal limit. :smile:

this person needs to see a doctor and get their health in control because what they are doing can be harmful if not supervised :frown:
  • betojr85
    betojr85 Posts: 10
    Options
    okay,

If you look at my diary, im eatring low low sodium, eating very healthy and excesrcising everyday. but in over a week i actually gained 2 pounds... this is stressful..
  • c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    okay,

please go to your primary health doc. i cannot help you through the internet.:frown:
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have congestive heart failure. Everyone assumes that drinking a lot of water is so healthy. It isn't for everyone. I am on restricted liquids. However, even I, since getting my cardiac issues under better control, only take a diuretic if I have a 5 pound gain within a couple of days and then I only take it for a few days. Diuretics can cause kidney failure. If you have edema and you are feeling bloated (sometimes the water settles for me in my abdomen, not my ankles), see your doctor. Anyone on diuretics should be having regular blood work, too. Diuretics can be dangerous and you should not be self-diagnosing or self-medicating. Also, with diuretics you have a much greater need for potassium.

Also, there are other reasons you could be retaining water. Your body needs water to repair muscles from exercising. It help our bodies distribute glycogen. Whenever I up or change my workout, I will notice a plateau that usually lasts a few weeks. Then, bam! I lose a couple of pounds. I assume it is my muscles grabbing the water they need to heal. Weight loss is not a steady, downward road. It flattens out a lot. Especially the closer you get to goal. It is much easier to be losing at a rapid steady pace when you have a 100 pounds to lose than when you have 50 and even more so when you reach 20. We burn less as we weigh less.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    okay,

Agreed. Firstoff not a medical doctor and this is not medical advice but you just described edema and someone picked up on that. Also you are supplementing with a diuretic it sounds like from Nutrition/supplement store. Likely you are reading the label and drinking adequate fluid and expect the supplement to do what it is supposed to. But without seeing your full stats and diary, there is no which way to go other than " I'm not sure"

Agree with all, inform your Primary of what you are taking, how much and how often and why and listen to what they tell you. Best of luck in your fitness journey LVFT

Nope, that is a prescription medication she's taking. I take it for my blood pressure. OP needs to see a physician and probably admit to what she's been doing. It's dangerous and illegal.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You don't need advice from the internet, you need a doctor's advice. Taking any kind of diuretic can be extremely dangerous. You should NEVER take one without a doctor's advice.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

If I look at your diary for today, you are showing some generic biscuits with 0 sodium... pretty sure this isn't right. Most/all breads and such have some salt in them. Also there seems to be ALOT of salt showing in the Egg whites you ate, which seems wrong...
    I don't think you are logging the right information or taking the correct information from the database.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You are young, eating at a deficit and working out hard. Please see your primary care provider asap. Most of us are not medical professionals and you need a checkup/diagnosis in real life.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Check the labels and don't use generic information from this site. Your diary shows 4 oz of deli turkey, but no sodium.

Deli sliced turkey can be high in sodium, as the mineral is added for flavoring and to help preserve the meat over time. A 2 ounce serving of deli sliced turkey provides 620 milligrams of sodium, which comprises 27 percent of the daily suggested intake of 2,300 milligrams.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You don't need advice from the internet, you need a doctor's advice. Taking any kind of diuretic can be extremely dangerous. You should NEVER take one without a doctor's advice.

Best advice... You can then look at your diet when you've sorted out the oedema. good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should ask a doctor.

Nobody on the Internet is qualified to give the kind of advice you need.