Confused about Pasta calories.

Options
13»

Replies

• RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am so glad to see I am not the only person who has struggled with pasta measuring. In the US, the pastas I buy are labelled dry weight, so that's easy enough. A couple of times, I cooked up multiple servings and then weighed the results of the batch to get a cooked weight per serving. The only constant I learned in these experiments is that there was no constant to cooked pasta. After reading someone else's post, I now realize the water absorption MUST be different for differing pasts. So, now I measure out dry servings, cook and then weigh the whole batch to arrive at a per serving weight for that batch. If nothing else, it feeds my mild OCD.
  • toriforte
    toriforte Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I almost went crazy the first time I was going to add pasta to my meals. I cooked a whole box and then I realized the 4 oz I was supposed to eat, were 4 oz uncooked. How the hell I was supposed to know how many oz of cooked pasta equaled the 4 oz dry?

There are typically 16oz (1lb) of pasta in a package, so 1/4 of the cooked package will equal 4oz dry.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused now on dry weight vs. cooked weight now. I have been measuring everything (Steak, pasta... everything) after cooking. So am I doing this wrong? Am I not actually reaching the calories that I'm saying I'm eating?

for meat and suck is usually weighs more before it is cooked, so with those things you are eating more than you think, for rice, pasta, they weigh much more after due to water absorption, so with those things you are eating less than you think.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am so glad to see I am not the only person who has struggled with pasta measuring. In the US, the pastas I buy are labelled dry weight, so that's easy enough. A couple of times, I cooked up multiple servings and then weighed the results of the batch to get a cooked weight per serving. The only constant I learned in these experiments is that there was no constant to cooked pasta. After reading someone else's post, I now realize the water absorption MUST be different for differing pasts. So, now I measure out dry servings, cook and then weigh the whole batch to arrive at a per serving weight for that batch. If nothing else, it feeds my mild OCD.

That is how to do it. If you make 3 servings say at 50grams each, 150 grams total, then after cooking it is 450 grams, that 50 gram serving would be 150 cooked, but to do this you need to weigh the item before and after cooking to know what % of the total batch you are eating.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes. This is confusing. I think I just found a reason to give up pasta. lol