How do people who lose a ton of weight put it all back on?

Options

Replies

• Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I understand gaining a few pounds back at the end of the day but all of it!? when you lost so much!? I don't see how someone could do that to themselves either. Myself looking to lose a total of 180lbs when i'm done... i can't imagine letting it all come back! MAYBE like 50lbs ABSOLUTE MAX (weight jumps quick when vacationing from home i hear) but the whole thing? wow no. I am just as astonished.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's easy to do when you haven't deal with why you were overweight/obese in the first place.
    Food can be an addiction for some. Some people need to get to the bottom of WHY they were overeating. Are they stuffing down emotions? Are they comforting themselves? what from? There are always underlying issues that need to be dealt with because when those trigger and you HAVEN'T dealt with it, you'll go right back to the coping mechanism you always had (eating) and gain it all back.

It needs to be an inner transformation as well as outer.

Bump to this. That's exactly what I was going to say. Most of us are carrying not just extra pounds but extra emotional baggage that plays into what and how much we eat. If you've trained yourself to eat less and exercise more, but haven't addresses the emotional/mental side of why you want to overeat in the first place, you've only won half the battle, and made it that much more likely that the bad habits you've fought so hard against will come back.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    magic.gif
  • Nefari
    Nefari Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree. That's how it happened to me. I lost 75 pounds, but then got lazy and depressed. It's even worse after you've met somebody and want to spend all your time with them by shoving food in your face at parties, restaurants, movies, and hanging out. It was much easier for me to be accountable for myself when there wasn't a significant other testing my will at every meal. I got the same WTF looks from some of my friends who hadn't seen me for awhile. The also pretended it didn't happen, but I would attempt humor to cover up the pain and embarrassment. I'd say, "I know, I gained it all back, but my face is cute, so what?!" It wasn't that funny but it was easier to move on that way. I used to dwell on it, but a good friend of mine told me it's in the past. I can't go back and what's done is done. I can only concentrate on now, move forward and learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle now. All that work is gone and it's sad. Worse is the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't fight it.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and gained 70 back. It's easy to gain all the weight back and then some when you lose weight in a very restrictive way. I ate super healthy and exercised every day. When I got to my "goal" -- I thought I could stop and went back to how I ate before I lost the weight and stopped exercising. This time -- I know this is something I will have to do on an ongoing basis. I eat what I want in moderation and I continuously stay active with exercises and activities that I enjoy. I know I will never stop logging my food because that is the only way I can be aware of how much I'm eating. Logging really doesn't bother me because I've been doing it for so long, it's part of my life now. I guess it's more of finding what you can stick with.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Before you judge others

I got divorced, went thru a major depression and started taking anti- depressants that had a side effect of weight gain.

How about live and let live...
    I'm sorry you faced hardship, but I do believe it is important to dig deep here, find out the underlying reasons to over-eating. Pharmaceuticals explain only so much and in this of all places I think it is beneficial to acknowledge that the emotional component is significant for many.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Before you judge others

I got divorced, went thru a major depression and started taking anti- depressants that had a side effect of weight gain.

How about live and let live...

who's judging? who am i, anyway?

i just asked a question.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 then put 40 of it back on over the next year. I had a bunch of personal crap come down on me and I just reverted back to eating for comfort.
    It doesn't take much really.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Easy. I had lost 60 lbs. at one time, but gained it all back and then some. And NO! I was NOT doing something "unhealthy", "unsustainable", or any other judgmental crap most of you are spewing when you have no freaking clue! (Thank you, OP, for NOT being judgmental.) So, I'm back on the bandwagon. Yes, I'm fat. But, dammit, kudos to me for trying again...and again....and again. At least I haven't lost all hope.

I was doing Weight Watchers, which is EXACTLY the same as MFP, except you counted points, rather than calories. The only difference was I was paying for the website. I was losing 1.5 lbs. per week. What happened? My mother died, and I got stuck having to teach my dad how to be self-sufficient, since his mother never taught him, but that was that generation. On top of that I had my own family, with its own problems (kids were beginning to head into their teens, and all the crap that entails), so you begin to forget to take care of yourself, when you're far too busy taking care of other people. You don't weigh yourself as often, so you don't notice it creeping back on. Your clothes feel a little tighter, but you figure they shrank in the wash, so you buy new ones a little bigger. You begin to feel that life is too short to be hungry all the time, and killing yourself with exercise, and you'd rather enjoy life instead (I hate exercise...I'd rather chew broken glass or have a tax audit, but I force myself to do it even though the pain I get from it is excruciating, what with my arthritis), so you eat what you want, rather than what you "should" (says who?) and you spend your precious little free time watching TV, rather than "wasting" it doing something you hate, like exercising. You get older. You start to not care. After all, you're old. You're not supposed to look "hot", anymore.

The problem with that is that as you do inevitably get older, you start noticing things don't feel right. Your back and your joints hurt all the time. You can't eat those foods you used to love because they certainly no longer love you. Your blood pressure starts creeping up. People you went to high school with begin dying from things like massive stroke or heart attack. It slowly dawns on you, that yes, life IS short. You'd better make sure you can eke out every minute of it. That being said, though, life is still life, and is still meant to be enjoyed. You can't spend it denying its pleasures. Want that candy bar? Eat it! Just make damned sure you account for it.
  • gummybearzz
    gummybearzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I remember when I had lost a lot of weight. I viewed weight loss as a temporary diet, rather than a way of life. I also had to ask myself why was I eating more. Some reasons were boredom, depression, craving, anxiety....
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I never understand why anyone acts so mystified that people gain weight. Whether it's because they're just heavy or lost weight and regained it.

Food is tasty, exercise is hard. There's your answer.

Yep.

I haven't regained my lost weight (which is actually 65lbs despite my mfp ticker) yet but I'm sure I will at some point. I'm very much sick of being hungry, tired, miserable, and completely preoccupied with what I'm eating and what exercise I need to do on any given day. It's been 5 years, I'm reasonably sure my lifestyle has changed as much as it can at this point and it sucks. One of these days I know I'll get fed up with feeling like crap and BOOM 65lbs right back on. Oh, well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

i just asked a question.

You asked an awesome question! i don't see where you were judging anyone. Incidentally, when I went through my divorce i lost about 40 pounds in about 6 months, 40 (that was about 15 pounds too much and it wasn't intentional or healthy. I gained it back over the course of 5 years by being "non-aware".
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Food is tasty, exercise is hard. There's your answer.

So much this.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i just asked a question.

You asked an awesome question! i don't see where you were judging anyone. Incidentally, when I went through my divorce i lost about 40 pounds in about 6 months, 40 (that was about 15 pounds too much and it wasn't intentional or healthy. I gained it back over the course of 5 years by being "non-aware".

OP's 2nd post on page 1 is kinda judgy. FWIW.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is one time where the word "sustainable" has meaning.

Bottom line, to achieve the best chance at sustainability, clinical evidence shows most people just need to get active. Don't worry about diet. Sure diet and exercise will give the fastest results, but most people tend to burn out in around 60 days (I've heard a few nutritionists advise against logging because of that phenomena).

Personally, as bad as I've been with my diet over the year I'm still running and cycling. Thinking of adding swimming, too.

Agree with this. And not that this is exactly positive, but when I regained before it started not with food, but with falling out of the exercise habit.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    The same way that someone who quit smoking starts again. It's usually the case that for every success story of someone giving up an unhealthy habit (cigarettes, alcohol, overeating, etc.), they have at least a handful of failed attempts before they kept on giving it up. It's much less common to quit a bad habit and have long-term success first try. Backsliding...it's too easy.

I agree. I quit smoking 4 times and started back up, until this last time two years ago because this last time I really wanted to quit. Weight was never and issue for me until the last year. I plan on monitoring it for the rest of my days, so I don't be a yo-yo dieter.
  • AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i dont know what it is, but, i will say this: why bother losing it the first time around in an unhealthy manner which you know will backfire? whats the point in the suffering?

it's easier said than done, i know, but why not just do it the right way and maintain yourself.

the girl i am referencing couldnt have been more than 140 lbs when i last saw her. today she was looking like she was pushing at least 260.

i remember when she was losing weight, she would go into the lunchroom and critique everyone else's meal. she was rude and judgmental about it too...serves her right , i guess.

Starting to sound judgmental yourself. Why not let her handle her situation and you handle yours? You are being critical of her and then complaining she was critical of others?

wake up.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had lost 100lbs and due to an injury my exercise routine was halted. I have never truly regained, and have since fallen into depression and that alone messes with the body. Add into the mix, a baby, turning 40, diagnosis of a physical disorder (fibromyalgia) and post-partum depression, you get a not so pretty mindset. It is very difficult to see myself now, 50lbs heavier than my goal, and not see failure. But I have to work what feels is 3000% harder than I did before to just keep moving forward. Its not at all easy, and I hope you never judge a person for having such a major set back (not that you are) - that you would actually encourage that person that they did it before, so they could do it again.

And I personally did not lose 100# in an unhealthy way. I followed Weight Watchers and exercised. I was burning more calories than I was taking in. Basic information. I never deprived. I ate cake, just not the whole thing. Its the hurdles in life that have set me back.
  • AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    sorry for shouting but I want to be very clear.

NO ONE HAS TO JUSTIFY TO ANYONE ELSE WHY THEY GAINED WEIGHT.

EITHER HELP THE PERSON, OR LEAVE THEM ALONE!

now, back to your regularly scheduled programming :)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    They look at food and...***pooof***! It magically comes back on !:bigsmile: