Is this a good workout routine?(fat loss must lose 80lbs)

Options
2»

Replies

• Aries_95
    Aries_95 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At 20 years old, if you are too weak to carry more than 1 pound (which I'm guessing isn't true), I'm guessing you have some medical issues. My advice - get to a doctor.

I already said I could but i can't do lots of reps with them
  • Aries_95
    Options
    For me verity is the key to life although I am sure we are ll different. If you are heavy for your frame watch the jumping jacks as well on your knees. Make sure you stretch out after your exercising as well and try and cool down. Also make sure you hit your macros - I would suggest bosting protein from MFP a little as well. Its great you are doing this so well done for deciding to have a better life. As I said varity is important to me, if I did the same thing repetitively I would get bored unless I really love it. If you find it harder psychological to do after a few days, don't give up just do something different :-)

Is a 10 minute stretch enough?
  • Aries_95
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one that you enjoy and will stick with. If this works for you, great - keep at it. If you start to plateau, move on to something else. If it becomes easy - look for something harder.

As for being too weak to work with any more than 1lb weights, I bet you can do more. Do you ever carry a bag of groceries, a big purse or a book bag? Those things likely weigh more than a pound.

I can go higher than 1 but I can't do many reps carrying them!!
    How many minutes of cardio and reps of strength should I be adding each day/week? If i'm currently doing 15 minutes of cardio & 15 x3 of strength?

For cardio - If this is your first go at exercise for a while keep at this for about 3 weeks and then increase slowly - 10% a week should be safe from what I understand. It doesn't sound a lot but it soon picks up. After 10 weeks you will have more than doubled what you are doing. Listen to your body though if you can, if it is screaming at you slow down or have a rest for a day, if it is responding as if you are lying in bed then do more :-) Obvious I'm sure but I thought I would point it out. Also you may find that you respond differently from day to day so if you are feeling tired take it easy. The important (REALLY MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS) is to still be doing it in 6 months time . If you do you will be amazed at the results you are getting I'm sure. Don't overdo the calorie restriction either. It is tempting to really go full out but it is better to go a little slower than we want (for me anyway). Our bodies need decent food to get stronger. There is a balance between cutting too quick and not cutting enough. If you cut too quick your fitness will not improve as quickly as it would do and you may get ill or injured. The amount of calorie deficit that would be best for you is a magic number that no one knows but if you look around MFP or on the internet there are plenty of approximations which will get you going (worst come to the worst just use MFP but as I said before eat more protein that it suggests).

Thank you soooo much!!!! I hope i'll still be doing this in a couple of months and not get bored! I'll try out all of your tips :) xx
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Don't overlook the benefits of just plain walking. It doesn't even have to be a fast pace, so a long walk can be something you do in your resting time and on your days you don't workout. It does burn calories and has positive effects for your legs and core muscles. Walking an extra mile or two a day really adds up over time and could help drop 5-10 pounds in the course of a year.

Can i substitute my 10-15 minute cardio on the stairs for 25-45 minutes of walking? 3mph? :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    At 20 years old, if you are too weak to carry more than 1 pound (which I'm guessing isn't true), I'm guessing you have some medical issues. My advice - get to a doctor.

then do less reps do 100-150 reps consistently is a good way to get repetitive stress issues with your joints especially considering that towards the end you probably wont be doing them with the correct form.

lots of reps is NOT going to get you weight weight loss. what gets you weight loss begins first and foremost with what you eat. on average is you eat 7000 calories less per week than what your body needs then you will lose 2 pounds of fat. there's no need to obsess about looking for exercises that will ensure you lose 2 lbs a week.

As for your plan, it sounds liek what you are wanting to do is work your way up to be able to do consistent exercise for a certain amount of time, which is a good goal to have.. i agree with the others about adding in more variety . you also want to add in some movements for the upper back : bent rows, straight arm pullover. i'd also lose the crunches in favor of planks.

good luck!
  • Aries_95
    Options

then do less reps do 100-150 reps consistently is a good way to get repetitive stress issues with your joints especially considering that towards the end you probably wont be doing them with the correct form.

lots of reps is NOT going to get you weight weight loss. what gets you weight loss begins first and foremost with what you eat. on average is you eat 7000 calories less per week than what your body needs then you will lose 2 pounds of fat. there's no need to obsess about looking for exercises that will ensure you lose 2 lbs a week.

As for your plan, it sounds liek what you are wanting to do is work your way up to be able to do consistent exercise for a certain amount of time, which is a good goal to have.. i agree with the others about adding in more variety . you also want to add in some movements for the upper back : bent rows, straight arm pullover. i'd also lose the crunches in favor of planks.

good luck!

are 10-15 reps x2-3 sets okay? Or is it still too much? Cause i've heard the more the reps the more you lose weight.. if you lift heavier and do less reps you'll just gain muscle! I'm not sure cause i'm new to this! And thank you for informing me i'll increase it to 3 lbs or so :)!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi 95jewel!

I started out strength training with a 15 minutes for beginners at HASFIT.com, it is great for beginnings. It's free! He does have other sessions as you get fitter and so you can change things up every so often/when you're ready to move to something harder. But the beginners one is great. I started with 5lb. dumbbells, but start were you feel is best for you and then move up. I'm now using 8lb. dumbbells. I do think you could use heavier ones though.

I do strength training 2 to 3 days a week and the the other days I bike ride, walk/jog, swim, stair climb. I've lost 113lbs. but have about 60lbs. to go.

I do agree that just doing just 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps. and add to it as you go every other week. You don't want to do any damage from over working it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Less reps = more strength (at deficit) not more muscle.

Your workout looks good to get you into exercise though, I agree, too many reps - I would get bored with that.

Could you invest in adjustable dumbbells so you can progressively add weight? You WILL NOT get bulky, by accident, at deficit.
  • satantra
    Options
    Well, how much time it takes for you to do these exercises? Does it takes at least an hour?
    your routine seems a little bit boring for me... I think it is hard to stick with something boring for a year or two...
    When I was obese the first time( i was 25kg more than what I consider my ideal weight of 55kg) i was doing workouts such as Cindy Crawford workout and tie-bo advanced from videos for at least an hour a day, usually for 2 hours some times for 3 hours until exhaustion.... it was very tough and very hard at that time with the extra weight of my body., but even walking uphill was very exhausting.. still it was boring for me but I had to stick with it for many years because my fat was and is very stubborn....
    but later I started going to a dance studio it was the right choice for me...

exercising in a gym is boring as well, as for me , but a little bit better, because after the gym i usually go to the pool and sauna, ets.
    I would consider finding something interesting so it is possible to stick with it and enjoy the activity and be wiling to devote more time to it. for many years.... because it may take more than one year and should become a lifestyle.... In my case it was the dance(hip-hop, go-go,ets) something high impact and with a charismatic teacher( salsa is not high impact in my opinion it only impacts my feet) I was able to stick with the dance for many ears( until a 1.5 years break which made me gain 15 kg) visiting a gym some times is useful too...
    For now, when I have gained weight the second time in my life ( but only 15 kg now) for about 9-8 month I was just dancing and some times going to stretching in a dance studio and rarely visiting the gym, and wasn't actually counting calories and didn't have weights at home to track my weight, and was eating as much as I want. I have lost about 7-8 kg. Now I have add the calorie counting to it( about 3 weeks)...not sure if it help or not, my weight changes ,during a day and a week, for many times in both directions...
    What I am trying to say is that I think it is very important to enjoy your activity so the activity can be continued for many years...
    may be a few activities, sports, dances. Otherwise ( as for me) I wouldn't be able to continue boring exercises for a long period of time and would finally gave up... for a greater success the activity should be even more important than the weight loss in my understanding...